Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson question

Options
  • 12-12-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I am not a regular whiskey drinker and just opened a bottle of jameson i got last christmas. Its clear as in colour of water/vodka. Surely it should be redish in colour or am i being totally ignorant.sorry if this question is stupid

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeah it should be a dark gold colour like a standard whiskey just.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

irish_goat wrote: »
    Yeah it should be a dark gold colour like a standard whiskey just.

Id take it you would be better off not drinking it so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I am not a regular whiskey drinker and just opened a bottle of jameson i got last christmas. Its clear as in colour of water/vodka. Surely it should be redish in colour or am i being totally ignorant.sorry if this question is stupid

Are you sure it was Jameson as opposed to poitin in a Jameson bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did you have to break the thread / seal on the cap to open it, or just unscrew it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The wife opened it last week for irish coffee so didnt notice the colour. She said she had to break seal. My firstvthought when i saw it clear was itsca knockoff bottle with poitin. It does smell like whiskey and tastes somewhat like it but asci said im no expert.

• Advertisement

The wife opened it last week for irish coffee so didnt notice the colour. She said she had to break seal. My firstvthought when i saw it clear was itsca knockoff bottle with poitin. It does smell like whiskey and tastes somewhat like it but asci said im no expert.

Any teenagers in the house?

stimpson wrote: »
    Any teenagers in the house?

Haha. My second thought. My youngvfellas 18 but it def wasnt him. He hates whiskey. It must been a knock off.

Your son's friends might like whiskey though. Or might just take any alcohol they can get their hands on. :pac:

Haha. My second thought. My youngvfellas 18 but it def wasnt him. He hates whiskey. It must been a knock off.

I hated whiskey at 18 too but I still remember drinking cheap scotch out of a Nescafé jar on the way to the disco.

Can 100 percent rule him or friends out. think ill just pour down sink. Can anyone reccomend a nice whisk(e)y for around 30 euro. Would like to get into this lark.

• Advertisement

Can anyone reccomend a nice whisk(e)y for around 30 euro. Would like to get into this lark.

Jameson Caskmates is €30 in Tesco at the minute and is a nice smooth whiskey that would be a good entry level one to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can 100 percent rule him or friends out. think ill just pour down sink.
    Save it for cleaning stuff. It would be odd to sell counterfeit whiskey without bothering to colour it, especially if they did have a proper seal on it. The seal is not just a plastic wrapper, it should have the metal ring on the bottom which breaks away from the upper lid.

Where did you get it in the first place? You could give it to someone in the know, most poitin has quite a distinct smell.

Smirnoff red is supposed to be the most popular to counterfeit.

Bushmills is meant to be 17euro in aldi, and jameson was 19 in supervalu, not sure if either is still going, and jack daniels was 20 in tesco, all 700ml bottles.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Jameson Caskmates is €30 in Tesco at the minute and is a nice smooth whiskey that would be a good entry level one to try.

What do you think of bushmills black label

What do you think of bushmills black label

I like it although it's aged longer in sherry casks so has a bit of a stronger and deeper flavour than Caskmates would have. If you're going through Dublin airport anytime soon you can get loads of samples there and get some good prices on bottles at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can 100 percent rule him or friends out. think ill just pour down sink. Can anyone reccomend a nice whisk(e)y for around 30 euro. Would like to get into this lark.

Tesco are doing Jameson for €20 for the 700ml at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Fill a small metal spoon with the 'Jameson' and see if it flames when you light it with a match. If it's red or yellow - not great, if it's blue - good stuff, if you don't drink it use it for cakes or even setting the Christmas pud on fire. Sounds like Poitin to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

From my own teenage experience and from a recent enough experience of my daughter and her friends....(though with vodka, so I didn't notice until I offered it to a friend).

I can pretty much guarantee your son took some for a night out and topped up with water. Rinse and repeat over the past year since last Xmas and it's now mostly water. I'd be 99.9% certain I'm right on that :D

Deagol wrote: »
    I can pretty much guarantee your son took some for a night out and topped up with water. Rinse and repeat over the past year since last Xmas and it's now mostly water. I'd be 99.9% certain I'm right on that :D
    he could pour it into a pint glass or jug, so see if there really is zero colour. He said it smelt of whiskey but if not a regular drinker might not know if its dilute.

Could try lighting a teaspoon full too, should be flammable if still 40%.

Deagol wrote: »
    From my own teenage experience and from a recent enough experience of my daughter and her friends....(though with vodka, so I didn't notice until I offered it to a friend).

Id be 100% sure your wrong on that. I only brought the bottle jome from work last wed night. He hasnt had friends over and he hasnt been out. He drinks vodka which is in the house and knows he can have if he wants. I bring him to off licence when they are going out anyhow. It definitey wasnt him . Not because hes my precious littlle son but becausevit just wasnt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Id be 100% sure your wrong on that. I only brought the bottle jome from work last wed night. He hasnt had friends over and he hasnt been out. He drinks vodka which is in the house and knows he can have if he wants. I bring him to off licence when they are going out anyhow. It definitey wasnt him . Not because hes my precious littlle son but becausevit just wasnt him.

How was the bottle stored since last christmas, in direct sunlight?

• Advertisement

coastwatch wrote: »
    How was the bottle stored since last christmas, in direct sunlight?

No it was actually in bottom of a metal filing cabinet with no contact with extreme heat or cold. Ill find some other use for it and treat myself to a new bottle for christmas. Could you suggest any scotch i could try. Ive never tasted scotch. Saw ballenines finest inbtesco for 23 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ah, fair enough then :). I did leave myself 0.01% :p

Whiskey or any liquor over 25% alcohol can't go off (AFAIK) as no bacteria / fungus can live in it. I'd be dead curious to know how it could have gone clear. But I sure wouldn't taste it to find out in case it's really not whiskey at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

No it was actually in bottom of a metal filing cabinet with no contact with extreme heat or cold. Ill find some other use for it and treat myself to a new bottle for christmas. Could you suggest any scotch i could try. Ive never tasted scotch. Saw ballenines finest inbtesco for 23 .

How the hell are you staying so calm about this mystery!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Whiskey can go off, normally when the bottle has been opened for a long time. Some say that a bottle of whiskey should be drank within 6 months of it being first opened.
    If you keep whiskey for years, and in this case I mean years, it can turn a clear colour?

dos29 wrote: »
    turns out it was the office dipso!
    B1gft wrote: »
    Whiskey can go off,
    Would depend on your definition of "go off"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/go_off#English
    (intransitive, Britain, Australia) To putrefy or become inedible, or to become unusable in any way.  [quotations ▼]
    Bugger—the milk's gone off already!‎

Some reckon it can deteriorate a little in taste, I hope nobody would pour it down the sink after 6 months considering it undrinkable/unsuable in any way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

rubadub wrote: »
    Some reckon it can deteriorate a little in taste, I hope nobody would pour it down the sink after 6 months considering it undrinkable/unsuable in any way.
    If the stuff is clear, who know what it is?
    I've seen various whiskeys in the lab being tested, including counterfeit tests and none of them sent back were clear!

You can get Jameson for about €20-€25 in most shops.
    How much is a GP visit again?

kbannon wrote: »
    If the stuff is clear, who know what it is?
    I am not talking about the OPs whiskey, just whiskey in general. The poster before me was saying it can "go off" -whiskey never goes off going by any definition of "gone off" I have ever heard.

I told the OP he could use his for cleaning. Or give it to someone else rather than throw it out, someone with experience might tell if it is poitin and make their own mind up about risking drinking it or not.

I would not risk drinking vodka in bars for fear of it being contaminated -that and the ludicrous price, but if it was a free bar I would avoid it in many bars.

I've seen articles about counterfeit scotch but not counterfeit Irish. Surely they would add a drop of colouring to it if it was counterfeit anyway though.

Maybe if there is a product code you could email Jameson and see if it matches up?

But as suggested, I'd keep it for cleaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Erm,.....

because it's Jameson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Its clearly his workmates sneaking in at lunchtime and topping it up with water before they head to the disco. Happens all the time OP

Advertisement