Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxford Students Encouraged to Now Use "Ze" Instead of "He or She" To Avoid Offen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

This will annoy Ze Germans.

Don't mention the war Oxford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Delighted to hear this, because it will annoy people who get annoyed about stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

From hero to zero, just like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Political correctness gone mad.

They're also trying to dissuade the terms Mr & Mrs.

Pants to that I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

LordSutch wrote: »
    Political correctness gone mad.

*old bill intensifies*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    From hero to zero, just like that.

That's a good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I actually do think there should be a neutral pronoun created. I hate having to say he/she when using a hypothetical example.

These are doing it for the wrong reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Their opinion holds no more weight than your own or the random drunk in the pub. Just ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Between this and the pumpkin spice lattes thread the world is getting dafter by the day. A well known Irish company has just put in a gender neutral toilet in addition to the existing male and female toilets to facilitate at the demands of one of their staff members who is going through a sex change. I find that bonkers to be honest.

Your either male or female and that's the end of it. Fair enough if you want to change, just pick one ffs. This gender neutral, gender fluidity is such a load of modern PC guff and is driving people mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 198 ✭✭NoFreeGaffs

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Between this and the pumpkin spice lattes thread the world is getting dafter by the day. A well known Irish company has just put in a gender neutral toilet in addition to the existing male and female toilets to facilitate at the demands of one of their staff members who is going through a sex change. I find that bonkers to be honest.

Which company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oxford loves PC

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I actually do think there should be a neutral pronoun created. I hate having to say he/she when using a hypothetical example.

There is one - they.

This crap is a huge factor in people turning against left leaning ideologies in general. It's so hard to side with progressives when you automatically get associated wth this type of sh1te along with their more sensible ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

Use 'they'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

What a completely stupid idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Which company?

The most famous bookies in the country at their South Dublin HQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

On behalf of the letter W, I object.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

These fruits won't know what hit them when they eventually have to deal with the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

As Richard said a gender neutral pronoun is missing in English for when the gender is unknown.

This seems to be about eliminating he or she in all cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Interesting one this. Apart from inciting the 'PC GONE MAD" brigade beautifully it brings to mind the English language's lack of, or its loss of the gender neutral pronoun. 'One' seems to have been dropped completely while in Ireland we use 'ye' which is very effective in my opinion. In summary, if they're going down this road, which makes a lot of sense if ye stop to reflect on it, I think they should copy Hiberno-English and adopt 'ye'. 'Ze' is too German.

What does one think?
    What do ye think?
    What do ze think?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Your either male or female and that's the end of it. Fair enough if you want to change, just pick one ffs. This gender neutral, gender fluidity is such a load of modern PC guff and is driving people mad.

I completely do not understand the whole transgender thing either, but leaving aside trying to change the pronouns we use, does any of the things you mention there really affect anyone? Why would it drive you mad?

• Advertisement

I can't keep up with all this rubbish. Sitting has been largely been replaced in England with sat (I was sat), and standing is now widely replaced with stood, as in (I was stood). Now we have ZE instead of He or She, with talk of Mrs & Mrs being replaced with 'God knows what'?

Mince?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Can we not use gee instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

biko wrote: »
    Oxford loves PC

Is Cambridge the Mac university?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He-Man is going to be problematic. Ze-Person? She-Ra not so much. Ze-Provo.

I don't think so. There's a genuine need for a gender neutral singular/plural pronoun like 'on' in French or 'sie' in German.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And this is exactly what happens when parents cotton woll their kids ,

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

As Richard said a gender neutral pronoun is missing in English for when the gender is unknown.

THEY. THEY. THEY.
    It's always been there.
    But to use it wouldn't be contrarian so it's unacceptable to the snowflakes.

And yes, I know how the word snowflake irritates people. IDGAF.

hairyslug wrote: »
    Can we not use gee instead

You can use Ghee if you like ;)

padd b1975 wrote: »
    These fruits won't know what hit them when they eventually have to deal with the real world.

Predictable comment snowflake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

coolbeans wrote: »
    Interesting one this. Apart from inciting the 'PC GONE MAD" brigade beautifully it brings to mind the English language's lack of, or its loss of the gender neutral pronoun. 'One' seems to have been dropped completely while in Ireland we use 'ye' which is very effective in my opinion. In summary, if they're going down this road, which makes a lot of sense if ye stop to reflect on it, I think they should copy Hiberno-English and adopt 'ye'. 'Ze' is too German.

What does one think?
    What do ye think?
    What do ze think?

Ye is a plural of you. This is not about plurals.

And it's not about using ze when a gender is unknown - as in "when the guest comes ze should be brought into the reception room" or "when the guests come ze should be brought into the reception room" but "when John comes ze should be brought into the reception room".

At least that's how I read it.

Advertisement