Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxford Students Encouraged to Now Use "Ze" Instead of "He or She" To Avoid Offen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    From hero to zero, just like that.

Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I actually do think there should be a neutral pronoun created. I hate having to say he/she when using a hypothetical example.

A simple way to deal with this is to use a plural, e.g., instead of:

"A driver must always drive at a speed which will allow him or her to stop within the distance he or she can see to be clear ahead."

use:

"Drivers must always drive at a speed which will allow them to stop within the distance they can see to be clear ahead"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

benjamin d wrote: »
    THEY. THEY. THEY.
    It's always been there.
    But to use it wouldn't be contrarian so it's unacceptable to the snowflakes.

And yes, I know how the word snowflake irritates people. IDGAF.

You can use they but it's awkward. "When the guest comes they should be shown into the reception room" doesn't work. You can rephrase it to when guests but it's the singular case that is problematic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Haha stupid tossers, you gotta feel sorry for them really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

tonygun wrote: »
    I completely do not understand the whole transgender thing either, but leaving aside trying to change the pronouns we use, does any of the things you mention there really affect anyone? Why would it drive you mad?

Being told how to think and what to accept in society as normal when it is not is what is driving people mad. People feel that they cannot have an opinion as they will face a serious backlash. Personally I think adding a 3rd toilet for gender neutral is too far. I wouldn't dare say it in public though as there would be a backlash.

I think part of the recent trend in the UK and US of people voting against what was expected by all is a good example.

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    Predictable comment snowflake.

And wrong. As Oxford grads they will fashion the external world. Already happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Oxford Students Encouraged to Now Use "Ze" Instead of "He or She" To Avoid Offence

I mean what age are these so called "students"?

Have none of them ever heard of ze Germans?

Absolutely ridiculous idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A Male-to-Female transgender woman tried to float the idea of using ''It''. She couldn't see why everyone thought it was a horrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Being told how to think and what to accept in society as normal when it is not is what is driving people mad. People feel that they cannot have an opinion as they will face a serious backlash. Personally I think adding a 3rd toilet for gender neutral is too far. I wouldn't dare say it in public though as there would be a backlash.

I think part of the recent trend in the UK and US of people voting against what was expected by all is a good example.

Who is telling you how to think?

A step too far towards what? How does it affect you, me or the majority of the rest of the population?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Exactly.

In this, and countless other similar cases that crop up here from time to time, these things are happening within the confines of universities and other centres of learning, where they have been going on for as long as I can remember.

99.999% of the rest of the population will completely ignore any and all of these "suggestions" and not be affected by them in the slightest.

I'd suggest all of the people who are getting "annoyed" by this kind of thing do the same, and stop getting wound up about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

You can use they but it's awkward. "When the guest comes they should be shown into the reception room" doesn't work. You can rephrase it to when guests but it's the singular case that is problematic

How is that awkward? It makes perfect sense and always has.
    This really is creating an issue where none exists.

A step too far towards what? How does it affect you, me or the majority of the rest of the population?

It's about power. Oxford elites have the right to change the language. You don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's about power. Oxford elites have the right to change the language. You don't.

But we have the power to tell them **** off in plain English

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Too privileged an upbringing and too little to worry about in life. Ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

And wrong. As Oxford grads they will fashion the external world. Already happening.

Actually it's the global academic community doing that, not one university. They'd be nothing without collaborators.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

You don't just change language, it evolves and varies constantly. You think Oxford Student Union are going to change the English language, with all it's forms and dialects the world over, because they circulate a leaflet on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Alun wrote: »
    I'd suggest all of the people who are getting "annoyed" by this kind of thing do the same, and stop getting wound up about them.

That's not going to happen. The poor snowflakes are triggered. They need a safe space. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

Health and Safety gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

The gender neutral toilet thing is crazy, I wouldn't want to be in cubicle next to a female employee having her daily scutter after the vino the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Ye is a plural of you. This is not about plurals.

Typical prejudice against people with multiple personalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Ze's electric ze's in a family full of eccentrics, ze's done things I've never......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

I shall continue to call them silly cnuts

You don't just change language, it evolves and varies constantly. You think Oxford Student Union are going to change the English language, with all it's forms and dialects the world over, because they circulate a leaflet on campus?

Well as eddy opined, it's not just Oxford. Day to day conversations may not change but professional conversations will if this takes off in Oxford. That is if these Oxford graduates become entrenched in industry and government, which isn't a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fcuk off world!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

Well as eddy opined, it's not just Oxford. Day to day conversations may not change but professional conversations will if this takes off in Oxford. That is if these Oxford graduates become entrenched in industry and government, which isn't a long shot.

I'm waiting for the day when some guy shoots up an office because HR fired him for using politically incorrect pronouns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

biko wrote: »
    Oxford loves PC

Yet still awards a scholarship in the name of a White Supremacist.

No-one ever said they weren't hypocrites though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

It can only be he/she or it for a singular pronoun.

It would be worse to call gender neutrals "it" as opposed to the wrong he/she.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I'm transgender and you have no idea how incredibly diffictult it has made my life at times. I didn't chose to be like this and its the tiniest little courtesy to use this form rather than have me suffer massive anxiety about people deliberately choosing the wrong form to offend me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

I'm transgender and you have no idea how incredibly diffictult it has made my life at times. I didn't chose to be like this and its the tiniest little courtesy to use this form rather than have me suffer massive anxiety about people deliberately choosing the wrong form to offend me.

You might have a had a tough time but you can't expect to socially engineer society to accommodate your mental health issues.

Mod-Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

In most cases it probably isn't deliberate. Just an honest mistake. If someone is doing it constantly, despite being corrected then they (see, that wasn't awkward at all) are an arsehole.

Expecting people to change their language is a bit unreasonable to be honest. It would be very difficult to do this and still have a natural conversation

Advertisement