Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingy Pubs.

Options
  • 04-12-2016 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

So, the Irish Pub Trade do a great business over Christmas. But does that make them more hospitable? Don' forget to vote in the poll, which no self respecting AH poster of this genre will leave out.
    I'll vote in a negative sense.

But don't take too seriously folks. Afterall, IT'S CHRISTMAS.
    I don't want any trips to already crowded A & E's because of this thread. :):P:P:cool:

Are Pubs stingy to newcomers? 94 votes

Yes. The staff ignore you and give preferential treatment to locals
    0%
    Newcomers are treated the same as locals
    57%
    Gonzotony 2 toneDave147Enrightel diabloShagNastiiciano1shockwavemurphym7L1m1tlessmookishboyredarmyFather Hernandezirish_goatirelandroverSlipperyPeopleClaregirlRackstarPirateShampooaujopimur 54 votes
    New customers are given preferential treatment and service.
    42%
    enda1SparkoBob the BuilderRiesen_MealCrookedJackBlazerpawrickBandaramagentisthee glitzartanevillasidcon[Deleted User]VinLiegerthe groutchHunchbackRelikkCarpentryWashington Irvingbodhrandude 40 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

A poll would certainly be a good idea for such a thread......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    So, the Irish Pub Trade do a great business over Christmas. But does that make them more hospitable? Don' forget to vote in the poll, which no self respecting AH poster of this genre will leave out.
    I'll vote in a negative sense.

By hospitable, do you mean that they serve drink? I'd vote in the positive, they do serve drink, that's as hospitable I need them to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

davo10 wrote: »
    By hospitable, do you mean that they serve drink? I'd vote in the positive, they do serve drink, that's as hospitable I need them to be.

not exclusively.

what else to consider:
    • offer FREE smartphone charging
    • offer cashback with credit card etc
    • in negative: take a long time to serve your meal.

As someone who spent 15 Years serving people over a bar I have to say, at this time of year when you are doing 10 times the work for the same pay and having to deal with arseholes who don't usually drink but decide to have a go at Christmas then you are lucky to get any kind of hospitality at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

FortySeven wrote: »
    As someone who spent 15 Years serving people over a bar I have to say, at this time of year when you are doing 10 times the work for the same pay and having to deal with arseholes who don't usually drink but decide to have a go at Christmas then you are lucky to get any kind of hospitality at all.

I assume you're talking about the drunken ejeejits and not the people who spend their hard earned cash over xmas in their local pub thus keeping you in a job?

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about the drunken ejeejits and not the people who spend their hard earned cash over xmas in their local pub thus keeping you in a job?

I'm not in that line of employment anymore. After 15 years I lost the ability to smile or be polite with arseholes so I retrained.

Most people are fine but there is one or two every day that you could happily dismember.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

This poll hasn't even got an Atari Jaguar option?? Can this be locked or something this is a shambles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm not in that line of employment anymore. After 15 years I lost the ability to smile or be polite with arseholes so I retrained.

Most people are fine but there is one or two every day that you could happily dismember.

Would you have equated every newcomer/non-regular as arsehole then and ignore them?

not exclusively.

what else to consider:

• I wouldn't leave my phone down in a pub to charge.
    • cash back I don't know about, do pubs usually do this?
    • I think most expect a little delay in getting served when the pubs are heaving at Christmas, the staff have only two hands.

I'd settle for being served my drink quickly with a thank you, but I wouldn't expect that just at Christmas time.

Would you have equated every newcomer/non-regular as arsehole then and ignore them?

No, not at all. Everyone gets the same treatment. I used to hate the whole VIP thing even.

Everyone got my best, every time. That is service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

I like you spent years working in pubs and off licences. So I second your thoughts,
    People who haven't worked them jobs have no idea. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't have to refuse someone service or show them the door.
    I don't miss it

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    I like you spent years working in pubs and off licences. So I second your thoughts,
    People who haven't worked them jobs have no idea. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't have to refuse someone service or show them the door.
    I don't miss it

I always got the hotel late bar, we got a lot of stags and hens. 3 in the morning trying to get them to bed...

Christmas was always a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

not exclusively.

what else to consider:

Why would you expect the first two? And the last option is dependent on the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

When I did drink, locals in the local always got quicker service, different story in the City center bars.

Suppose one would look after people who are there all year round then flybys , Now there wasn't that much in the difference, but they would know more or less what you wanted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No, not at all. Everyone gets the same treatment. I used to hate the whole VIP thing even.

Everyone got my best, every time. That is service.

Alrighty then. I misinterpreted your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is a landlord singey for charging €12 for 71ml of whiskey?

That depends if it is the good stuff or the Irish stuff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lou Scaunt

Depends what the bottle cost him.

Lou Scaunt wrote: »
    Depends what the bottle cost him.
    Well a 700ml bottle of Writers Tears costs about €45.00 retail. 45 ÷ 700 = €0.06 per millilitre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not exclusively.

what else to consider:
    cashback ?
    every newsagent and garage in the countrys offer cashback, even Dunnes Stores offer it

2500mAh at 5V is 12.5Watthours so at 20c a unit that's a quarter of a cent of electricity , and that's a full charge from empty and as a pub they'd be claiming the VAT back.

• Advertisement

cashback ?
    every newsagent and garage in the countrys offer cashback, even Dunnes Stores offer it

2500mAh at 5V is 12.5Watthours so at 20c a unit that's a quarter of a cent of electricity , and that's a full charge from empty and as a pub they'd be claiming the VAT back.

Maybe the pubs need their cash for change?

Well a 700ml bottle of Writers Tears costs about €45.00 retail. 45 ÷ 700 = €0.06 per millilitre.

That's what it costs you if you drink it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What I hate are the fellas that might darken a pubs door twice a year and then moan that the barman didn't give them a Christmas drink.
    The places that double door charges around Christmas are cnuts though.

Exactly, there are a few overheads for a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Depends where the pub is.

In the city centre, I've never really noticed any different. Locally 100%

Having worked in this industry for quite some time, I did give preference to punters I knew as they're regulars and kept me in a job. If somebody was coming back on a regular basis, I'd have gone out of my way to know their name, make them feel more comfortable hoping they'd decide this was their new local. I agree with some of the posts above, Christmas time is awful cause some people can get VERY drunk and VERY obnoxious.

In saying that, I love it when I frequent my locals too and get looked after well!

The poll options are poor imo. The pubs I'm a regular in would usually give me preferential treatment like serve quicker or take an order by hand signals across the bar rather than queuing at the bar or serve me a drink when service has officially stopped for the night but they don't ignore newcomers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

My pet hate of pub stingyness is pubs that use 25/30ml measures for spirits.

Or have specials like "double-vodka and redbull for €xx", but again give you 25/30ml x2, instead of full measures.

Yes and my question was, taking overheads into consideration, is a 150% mark up reasonable?

Yes and my question was, taking overheads into consideration, is a 150% mark up reasonable?

Yes. The licence alone costs a fortune. Building upkeep, wages, prsi, security, bills, advertising, accountancy fees etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm not getting involved in this thread until there is an Atari Jaguar option!

Advertisement