Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingy Pubs.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Newcomers are treated the same as locals
    I'd settle for them turning the volume of the music down so that you can actually have a conversation with the person beside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I'd settle for them turning the volume of the music down so that you can actually have a conversation with the person beside you.

We do that for the young people who actually spend money. You begrudgering old hairy arses sitting in the corner nursing a pint of stout till it's gone off whilst grumbling away to yourselves about the youth of today don't bring home the bacon I'm afraid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    not exclusively.

what else to consider:
    • offer FREE smartphone charging
    • offer cashback with credit card etc
    • in negative: take a long time to serve your meal.

In my opinion, if meals are being served, its not a pub.

Also, I think it's unbelievable that anyone would consider demanding money for the use of a phone charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

New customers are given preferential treatment and service.
    NiallBoo wrote: »
    My pet hate of pub stingyness is pubs that use 25/30ml measures for spirits.

Or have specials like "double-vodka and redbull for €xx", but again give you 25/30ml x2, instead of full measures.

It's illegal for a pub to sell less than 35ml for a standard spirit unless they specifically advertise it. Anyway almost every pub uses optics or jiggers and I guarantee you bartenders couldn't even be arsed trying to short you unless you're really being a dick to them.

not exclusively.

what else to consider:
    • offer FREE smartphone charging
    • offer cashback with credit card etc
    • in negative: take a long time to serve your meal.

- No bar or restaurant should be expected to charge your phone for you. It's not a shopping centre, and if charging it was so important, then you'd buy a power bank. That said, if someone had the charger with them and I wasn't busy, I'd happily charge it behind the bar. But I got some bad looks when people expected I had all sorts of adapters with me.

- Again it shouldn't be expected, but it is common enough and pretty easy to do. One thing that always annoyed me when working was giving someone €50 cashback, but then they continued to pay with card thereafter.

Honestly at this time of year especially, as a customer I'd make a little bit of an effort to make the bartender's job that little bit easier. Pay with cash, try not to add things on everytime they come back and even tip them something, even just a euro or so.

It's only when you work this time of year, you understand how **** things might be or how rude customers can become, but one gentleman or nice lady makes up for ten arseholes imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

davo10 wrote: »
    Maybe the pubs need their cash for change?
    I've no problem there even though it's a quarter of a cent of electricity at most.

Here's 5c,
    I want a VAT receipt and I'll be charging my phone every day from now to Christmas.

Or here's 15c , I'll be charging my phone every Saturday until the end of 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm not the type who'll sit at the bar and expect the barman to chat with me. All pubs I go to are generally very busy so all I want is my drink and my change and thats it. Id forgive them for being a bit frosty at this time of year. Ask anyone who works in pubs and they'll tell christmas is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

It's illegal for a pub to sell less than 35ml for a standard spirit unless they specifically advertise it. Anyway almost every pub uses optics or jiggers and I guarantee you bartenders couldn't even be arsed trying to short you unless you're really being a dick to them.

Of course it's illegal, it wouldn't be so annoying otherwise.

The places where I've seen it are busy late bars where it seemed to be standard practice for squeezing a bit more profit from well oiled punters, not a choice by the bar staff.

The shots are poured from measures, but UK standard 25ml ones rather than Irish 35ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I worked in a bar off Grafton Street around 1993-2001 when I was at college (yes I repeated a few years)
    It was a quiet place, tv only turned on for rugby, they didn't have Sky Sports when I was leaving, though probably have it now. Closed dead on closing time, in fact even earlier if it was quiet as most the business had been done at that stage.

They never had any music or anything so attracted a very reserved crowd mostly business people from the area. Regulars were extremely well looked after, they wouldn't have to ask for another round, we would make it our business to get them seats, can I store your bags, get you a taxi etc I don't think of it as being lickarsey- as stated above those guys would be there the second week of January when when all the "holly and ivies" were long gone.

By the time I was leaving Christmas would have been quite a lucrative time. Regulars would think nothing of handing over £50, one lad even gave me £200 every Christmas for looking after all his staff throughout the year. They had staff drinks on tab at least once a month and he lunched there most days.

The last year before I left I earned over £1,000 from tips for service throughout the year. This at a time when my wages were probably £200.

Most of the clientele are probably dead now, otherwise I might ask for a weekend nixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I worked in a bar off Grafton Street around 1993-2001 when I was at college (yes I repeated a few years)

I repeated a year in college myself....then I changed career.....

Getting back to the thread context there are 3 pubs I'd be seen as a 'local'...1 would have no prob charging your phone for free and also offers food at good value....what I mean is: while an establishment near Grafton Street, offers glass of wine & pizza for 15 euro, you can get it for 11 euro where I go.
    will say no more.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

So, the Irish Pub Trade do a great business over Christmas. But does that make them more hospitable? Don' forget to vote in the poll, which no self respecting AH poster of this genre will leave out.
    I'll vote in a negative sense.

did your 12 Pubs group get turned away from too many places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Yeah.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Of course it's illegal, it wouldn't be so annoying otherwise.

The places where I've seen it are busy late bars where it seemed to be standard practice for squeezing a bit more profit from well oiled punters, not a choice by the bar staff.

The shots are poured from measures, but UK standard 25ml ones rather than Irish 35ml.

Again, I have no idea what you're on about. Bar staff couldn't give a **** about 'squeezing profit', especially ones that work in busy late bars, and if my boss were to tell me to start cutting people short by 10ml, I'd get the **** out of that place asap.

Not only is it illegal for bars to do that, but in an age where alcohol is ridiculously overpriced in Ireland it's just a rotten thing to do, and I doubt most bartender's would want anything to do with a place where this is standard practice.

I have had many, many bar jobs all over Ireland and have never seen 25ml measures. If I had I would refuse to use them and likely report it to the weights and measures guys.

There's not many bar staff would be privy to this kind of behavior.

I do understand it but "table reserved for food only" drives me bonkers.

It's the same for the death of pool tables in pubs. Much more to be made from a table of 4 eating.

Shame.

FortySeven wrote: »
    It's the same for the death of pool tables in pubs. Much more to be made from a table of 4 eating.

Shame.

"Actually would you mind not sitting there. We'd like to keep those tables for diners"

I don't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Feed you full of drink and then want you out. They have no interest in telling you that you have had enough.

Feed you full of drink and then want you out. They have no interest in telling you that you have had enough.

Have you ever tried telling a drunk person they have had enough? Then another, and another, and another.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

FortySeven wrote: »
    Have you ever tried telling a drunk person they have had enough? Then another, and another, and another.........

It's part of having a drink licence is it not ? Are TD's not telling us drinking at home is dangerous and move to the pubs.

• Advertisement

It's part of having a drink licence is it not ? Are TD's not telling us drinking at home is dangerous and move to the pubs.

It's a part of the job for sure. Not a part anyone relishes. I worked late bars for years. Drink people at the end of the night are the biggest bunch of tedious **** you will ever have the mispleasure if being forced to smile at. :)

It's a minimum wage job. We do our best. The threats, the aggression, the verbal abuse, the puke and the spillages.

We work every weekend, no double time or even time and a half. We used to get time and a quarter for Sunday's but that was removed in the austerity budget. Every bank holiday, every time anything good is happening in your town. You are working it. Christmas will leave you broken from sheer exhaustion and January you can't pay your bills because they cut your hours. :)

But yes, we're obliged to stop you drinking. I tried it once or twice. Not worth the hassle.

Personal responsibility. It's wonderful.

(So glad I got out of it, to think I did a year of a hotel management degree before I realised)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Me also, place in Howth that will tell you that the tables are reserved for people who are eating. Crazy, especially if there aren't any seats at the bar. I usually point this out to them. Fcuked if I'm standing up when there's plenty of free seats available. :pac:

Advertisement