Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Irish language still exists?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Birneybau wrote: »
    Why not? Its part of our identity, saying that as someone who barely has a cupla focal.

But yeah, should be completely optional as part of the curriculum.

i think it is optional , me and few others never did irish class in secondary and national school anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No one should be forced to learn Irish in school simply because someone else deems it a part of their culture. Make it optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    No one should be forced to learn Irish in school simply because someone else deems it a part of their culture. Make it optional.

Religion fits that criteria in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Things that inspire Irish Pride...

Football, Rugby, Connor McGregor, Katie Taylor, Arthur's Day the Irish Cricket Team.

But when it comes to your own language, **** that, let it die.

If you can't get pissed while watching it, then you don't want to know.

Omackeral wrote: »

Religion fits that criteria in my opinion.
    Sure, Religion too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Things that inspire Irish Pride...

Football, Rugby, Connor McGregor, Katie Taylor, Arthur's Day the Irish Cricket Team.

Ha ok

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

With a title like "Why Irish language still exists?" I am thinking maybe English is not OP's mother tongue?
    Perhaps they are new to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

biko wrote: »
    With a title like "Why Irish language still exists?" I am thinking maybe English is not OP's mother tongue?
    Perhaps they are new to the country.

Maybe. But every single post of his or hers is how **** Ireland is. Only the natives hate the place that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Collie D wrote: »
    Maybe. But every single post of his or hers is how **** Ireland is. Only the natives hate the place that much.

This OP is a ****ing mongo, He's trolling and looking for reaction.

Anti Irish this and that, Asking for jobs about being a clamper in the motors forum.

He needs to be put on everyones ignore list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    This OP is a ****ing mongo, He's trolling and looking for reaction.

Anti Irish this and that, Asking for jobs about being a clamper in the motors forum.

He needs to be put on everyones ignore list.

Here is the reason ladies and gentlemen why we will never have change in our country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Johnboner wrote: »
    Here is the reason ladies and gentlemen why we will never have change in our country.

Specific complaints against the government are fine. Whining about the entire culture is not.

It's actually very Irish.

Johnboner wrote: »

Your country seems to be that way >>>>>>>>>>>>

Your country seems to be that way >>>>>>>>>>>>

Considering you didn't type that in Irish I would say his country is right here.

Considering you didn't type that in Irish I would say his country is right here.

Why would I ? Going by the ****e that comes from this site I'd probably be slated for it and might offend some people

Bunch of gob****es

Why would I ? Going by the ****e that comes from this site I'd probably be slated for it and might offend some people

Bunch of gob****es

I believe it's against the rules to type in Irish here (or at least it was) without an English translation.

My point is that often those who have the least Irish are the most vocal about promoting it. The majority have chosen with their tongues and they've clearly chosen English. If certain people disagree with this perhaps they should find some uninhabited island in the pacific to make their own.

I believe it's against the rules to type in Irish here (or at least it was) without an English translation.

My point is that often those who have the least Irish are the most vocal about promoting it. The majority have chosen with their tongues and they've clearly chosen English. If certain people disagree with this perhaps they should find some uninhabited island in the pacific to make their own.

I speak Irish, My family speaks Irish, My kids speak Irish, It wasn't forced upon us or them we/they chose to learn while in school, That's what school was about. Learning. If people don't want to learn that's their issue. I was taught lots of stuff in school I'll never use again but Irish for me is used daily.

Why should we move to an Island? It's the language of my country.

The majority haven't chosen English it was forced upon them going back many years.

I speak Irish, My family speaks Irish, My kids speak Irish, It wasn't forced upon us or them we/they chose to learn while in school, That's what school was about. Learning. If people don't want to learn that's their issue. I was taught lots of stuff in school I'll never use again but Irish for me is used daily.

Why should we move to an Island? It's the language of my country.

The majority haven't chosen English it was forced upon them going back many years.
    It may not have been forced on your kids but of has been forced on your anglophone countrymen. Making it optional is exactly that, making it optional. Those who want to learn the language will still be able to do so.

The majority have chosen English. They choose English everyday by not learning Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Bunch of gob****es

Calm down. There is an Irish forum on boards. You can post away to your heart's content in there. No point in posting in Irish here, the majority of people won't have a clue what it means.

Berserker wrote: »
    Calm down. There is an Irish forum on boards. You can post away to your heart's content in there. No point in posting in Irish here, the majority of people won't have a clue what it means.

I've no problem with people not speaking Irish that is their choice, I have a problem with every second post being Anti Irish, Scrap the language, Lets Join Britain, Change the national anthem blah blah blah

It's bull****.
    It may not have been forced on your kids but of has been forced on your anglophone countrymen. Making it optional is exactly that, making it optional. Those who want to learn the language will still be able to do so.

The majority have chosen English. They choose English everyday by not learning Irish.

Because English was forced upon us. If it wasn't we'd be speaking Irish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

What a ridiculous statement :D

Yeah, they "choose" it, similar to how the majority "choose" to favour their right hand over their left.

• Advertisement

Whether it was or wasn't is irrelevant to whether kids should be forced to learn Irish today.

You want to get rid of the ill will? Make it optional.

What a ridiculous statement :D

Yeah, they "choose" it, similar to how the majority "choose" to favour their right hand over their left.

The revival failed, not because schools taught Irish badly (though that was a factor) but primarily because people didn't want to learn and speak Irish in their everyday life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

That's just plain silly. You, the country, have had 100 years to start speaking your beloved language again as part of your daily lives and the people of the country have chosen not too. Countless initiatives have been put in place, including a dedicated TV service, along with the ten years plus of mandatory education but there is still no appetite for the language among the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Anyway, the very notion of a "choice" between Irish or English other is false.
    The choice is between drab anglophone monolingualism or rich bi/multi-lingualism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The problem isn't teaching Irish as a second language per se . The problem is teaching any additional language. I've studied German up to LC (from before secondary school) and I'm no more proficient in it than Irish.

Also it's not a binary choice, Irish or flavour of the month exotic foreign language. Teach Irish properly and it is much simpler to pick up a third, fourth, etc language.

Whether it was or wasn't is irrelevant to whether kids should be forced to learn Irish today.

You want to get rid of the ill will? Make it optional.

Ill Will? Bitterness of my fellow country men who hate their own country? I don't think so sorry. I can't understand it ?

Whether it was or wasn't??? It was.

The British forced us to speak English, Men, Women & Children were beaten for speaking Irish, Prohibition of the language in schools. Kids sent home with tally boards hanging from their necks and punished for speaking Irish.

When they tried to wipe us out during the famine we had no choice but to take on the language to get out before we died.

If that's not forced upon us I don't know what is.

Ill Will? Bitterness of my fellow country men who hate their own country? I don't think so sorry. I can't understand it ?

Whether it was or wasn't??? It was.

The British forced us to speak English, Men, Women & Children were beaten for speaking Irish, Prohibition of the language in schools. Kids sent home with tally boards hanging from their necks and punished for speaking English.

If that's not forced upon us I don't know what is.

Now hold on a second. Adults were not beaten for speaking Irish. Can we confine the argument at least to this reality?

In the school system children were beaten for speaking Irish and (as you say) were sent home to parents often to be punished again.

Gaelophone parents actively participated in the language shift because they believed that speaking English would give their child better opportunities in life.

Fast forward to 2016 and a large amount of the ill will expressed towards Irish comes from its status as a compulsory langiage. Whether you believe that compulsion is justified or not is irrelevant, removing compulsion would actually benefit the language by removing a lot of bad sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The Welsh love their language and put us to shame in our view of it as somehow problematic. I'm going to learn it properly just for the fun of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Now hold on a second. Adults were not beaten for speaking Irish. Can we confine the argument at least to this reality?

In the school system children were beaten for speaking Irish and (as you say) were sent home to parents often to be punished again.

Gaelophone parents actively participated in the language shift because they believed that speaking English would give their child better opportunities in life.

Fast forward to 2016 and a large amount of the ill will expressed towards Irish comes from its status as a compulsory langiage. Whether you believe that compulsion is justified or not is irrelevant, removing compulsion would actually benefit the language by removing a lot of bad sentiment.

Sure that logic follows we may make school non compulsory :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That i agree with

Advertisement