Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Irish language still exists?

Options
  • 03-12-2016 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

Latin is more useful than Irish yet it is taught in schools. How about teaching the kids something useful like French or German talking about mandatory Irish in schools. Our government institutions at its finest again. Should listen to what a smart man once said. "Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity." - Albert Einstein

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

French and German aren't useful, learning a foreign language unless that second language is English is not particularly valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Why not? Its part of our identity, saying that as someone who barely has a cupla focal.

But yeah, should be completely optional as part of the curriculum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

BabyE wrote: »
    French and German aren't useful, learning a foreign language unless that second language is English is not particularly valuable.

More valuable than mandatory Irish which almost nobody speaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Johnboner wrote: »
    More valuable than mandatory Irish which almost nobody speaks.

I think irish is kind of cool and would love to be able to speak it....but can barely master english

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Latin is more useful than Irish yet it is taught in schools. How about teaching the kids something useful like French or German talking about mandatory Irish in schools. Our government institutions at its finest again. Should listen to what a smart man once said. "Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity." - Albert Einstein

You're new here. This topic opens a new thread about once a month. Say, why don't you save yourself alot of intellectual sweat and read those threads?

Bonne chance. Viel gluck. Go n-eiri an bothar leat. Bona fortuna vobis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Quite simply, because it is funded. Take away the funding and it will be gone in a generation.

Anyway, what would the lads and lasses do at TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Birneybau wrote: »
    Why not? Its part of our identity, saying that as someone who barely has a cupla focal.

That would be fine but my 2 kids are learning the exact same way I was taught it years ago and they are growing a hatred of it already. I have a little bit of my Irish back from watching my kids struggle with it.

Why do the Welsh have a love of their language. How is it taught and can we learn from that. Irish was driven into me and most of us for 14 years and I speak more French and German from my 5 years secondary and more again from visiting the places.

Teach conversational Irish in school. If you want perfect Irish then you decide to go further in your studies at third level. Then we might see a change of attitude to the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

feargale wrote: »
    You're new here.
    Unlikely.

Chinese is very valuable. As is Japanese or Korean.

Australian could be useful but I believe it's a difficult one to master.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Latin is more useful than Irish yet it is taught in schools. [Sounds like you're saying Latin is taught in schools here, to be honest.] How about teaching the kids something useful like French or German talking about mandatory Irish in schools [Can't make any sense of the last part of this sentence/question] Our government institutions at its finest again [Sentence fragment]. Should listen [Who should?] to what a smart man once said ; "Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity."

Apart from butchering the title, your paragraph is a complete butchering of the English language. Maybe you could brush up on that before pining for a spot of Latin. EXCELSIOR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ffs

Are you playing the how many threads can I start game?

We have ways for people like you.....

Ask Kneemos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

FortySeven wrote: »

They speak English in Australia :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Ffs

Are you playing the how many threads can I start game?

We have ways for people like you.....

Ask Kneemos

Didn't know it was illegal to start a thread which I want to know about especially in the after hours section.

They speak English in Australia :confused:

Yes but drunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Why Irish language still exists?

Because we haven't mastered English yet.

To speak Australian, all one must do is make every statement sound like a question. Like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ok I get it new. New member (!) with thread after thread complaining about or demeaning Ireland.

Blah..culture..... blah...heritage.... birth right..... blah blah..... identity.... blah blah.

Sure we've all measles and we're fine.

Birneybau wrote: »
    To speak Australian, all one must do is make every statement sound like a question. Like this?

Ah feck it, you only thought you were listening to Australian. T'was Swedish!

What I would really like to know is would it be possible to get an abortion in an Ireland that was run by the British if you turned up speaking irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Anyone I know from Europe says if they cant speak the same language or it's pigeon they speak English it's the language of business. Plenty of colleges from the Nordics say they hold important meeting generally in English if you have a few diff nationalities. Far from not important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Fahkin drunk Alf Garnett up in here m8 " it aiiinnnt a fahkin laaaanguuuwige tho is it"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

What I would really like to know is would it be possible to get an abortion in an Ireland that was run by the British if you turned up speaking irish?

Zzz. Unless this is a meta commentary on After Hours. If so, accept that previous Zzz as Bravo.

French and German are hardly useless! Learning a foreign language certainly isn't pointless but I know what you're getting at, it's that we (and the Brits) aren't ever bothered to learn any. When we go away, we expect English spoken to us but when foreign visitors come here, we won't be accommodating them linguistically, not a hope in hell! When I'm away, I'll always make an effort even if it's just something small like learning how to order your meals or drinks in the host country's native tongue. I find you get great service and they appreciate it a lot. In September just gone, I got free rental of a child's car seat just because I asked for it in Spanish.

As an aside, it's so ridiculous to see the exaggerated figures for people claiming to be able to speak Irish on the census. Lying f*cks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Not a fan of it myself. Give people the option to learn it if they want to but don't force it on people. Would love to see a poll indicating whether people think that it should be compulsory versus optional in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Irish is a beautiful language that we should take pride in, why should everything we do be about functionality and practicality

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

You're on a roll tonight, Johnny. What's next?
    Some suggestions:
    "Are the Irish the ugliest people in the world?"
    "Gaelic Games should be banned!"
    "Why do the Irish smell like used nappies?"
    "Would the world be better off if Ireland was just blown up?"

Omackeral wrote: »
    When I'm away, I'll always make an effort even if it's just something small like learning how to order your meals or drinks in the host country's native tongue. I find you get great service and they appreciate it a lot. In September just gone, I got free rental of a child's car seat just because I asked for it in Spanish.

Did you try doing likewise in Ring, Inishmaan or Falcarragh? You could get a free currach.
    Omackeral wrote: »

As an aside, it's so ridiculous to see the exaggerated figures for people claiming to be able to speak Irish on the census. Lying f*cks!

Cuir Gaeilge air sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Handy for the auld fortnight in ancient Rome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

To understand why its taught in schools you would have to examine the history of Education in Ireland and see how it has evolved to what it is today.

Advertisement