Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your phone insured?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    When I bought it, it was €499.99. This was back almost at the beginning of this year, I believe it was on offer at the time in Carphone warehouse.

I'm a filthy pay as you go peasant so I bought the phone outright.

Not sure what the bill pay prices are like.

Between 49 and free.

Yea mine is insured, brand new iPhone 6 orderd on launch day so wanted the piece of mind. Avoid the networks insurance as they are expensive and not the best cover. I pay 7.99 a month for gadget insurance and it covers everything including accidental loss. That being said im considering cancelling it now as the phone is over 2 years old and I can upgrade to a new iPhone if I were to lose/break it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I stuck it on my All risks specified on the house insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Nope and I never have. Nothing but a scam. I've had my HTC one for 3 Years now in an otterbox. It is still in perfect condition but I did have to replace the battery the other day. I got the phone as it was the best on the market at the time and I needed something that could cope with live forex trading charts. I don't trade anymore so will not be buying another. I detest this idea that phones are a fashion. They are a tool. I don't need bells and whistles on a hammer and I'm the same way about phones. Saying that, I used to get laughed at at work for my big, clunky phone on my belt. By people who would pull out some battered, broken screened iPhone that they couldn't really afford.

It's the small pleasures are the best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Had it insured as part of the 6-month free insurance when I upgraded. Didn't offer any cover when the battery started to swell for no reason so scrapped it.

I've always just got a new phone through a free upgrade anyway.

• Advertisement

Had it insured as part of the 6-month free insurance when I upgraded. Didn't offer any cover when the battery started to swell for no reason so scrapped it.

I've always just got a new phone through a free upgrade anyway.

It's not really free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

FortySeven wrote: »
    It's not really free.

True. But the cost in every instance was one I was likely to incur anyway and any net cost was going to be a lot less than buying a new handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cancelled insurance years ago, waste of money as I've never lost or damaged one. Haven't bought new phone is years, be wondering what people be doing with theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

What's a good phone for €155 ?
    looking for android 5-5.5" , 2GB Ram , must take a mico SD card

Moto G 4th Gen must be the best option at under 200 quid. My wife has it and It's an outstanding phone for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Had phone insurance for about 15 years - vodaphone - every time (3) there was a claim there was a big 'its not valid ' drama - one only gave a rubbish replacement so I used my upgrade to replace it, ine went off in a flash of white in my hand - skmehow this wasn't covered so I moaned & got a free upgrade - the last one (iphone) - they gave me someone elses poxy second fixed phone that had faults in it ( battery overheating, connection errors, system errors) - totally pissed off - complained & complained buy got no real satisfaction - totaly ripoff given that my insurance as sold stipulated a new phone. Cancelled my insurance & would never use vodaphone insurance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

No I never take out insurance. I tend to not lose or break stuff so consider it a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Heres my history with phones and insurance.

Had and Iphone 4s when it first came out, i think it was around €600. I was on bill so traded in my old iphone 3 to get €40 back and then paid about €90 for iphone 4s.

Had it maybe 6 months and lost it on nite out so pissed i hadnt got the insurance. Got a prepay iphone 4s new for €600 and took the insurance out. Paid out the insurance for about a year and half and decided id cancel it. less than a week after canceling i drop iphone getting out of my car and smash the screen to pieces. €100 then to fix it in some shop in blanchardstown.

I then bought samsung edge 64gb for great price of €430 on pixmania just last November. Couldnt get it anywhere to insure it as it came from a shop in Italy and all insurance companies seem to require you to have bought the phone from within Ireland.

Then in August, I was walking with my phone when some prick on a bike snatched it from my hand and cycled off.

I just bought the Samsung S7 edge and got the insurance from three. I think it was €140 for the for the insurance and €690 for phone so €830 all together.

Just yesterday, I dropped it getting into my car, top right edge is now cracked.

There is an excess on the policy of €65.00.

Its still technically workable but im not sure if it will get worse. Does anyone know if i can get it fixed if i wanted to and claim the insurance less then excess?

I googled replacement S7 edge screen replacement and just found a company saying "coming soon" with a cost of over €250.

lightspeed wrote: »
    Just yesterday, I dropped it getting into my car, top right edge is now cracked.

Its still technically workable but im not sure if it will get worse. Does anyone know if i can get it fixed if i wanted to and claim the insurance less then excess?

I googled replacement S7 edge screen replacement and just found a company saying "coming soon" with a cost of over €250.

Just let it go for a swim. Get a whole new phone. And buy a screen cover.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just dropped my two week old s7 "not edge" in it's case on a wooden floor and cracked the screen :( is there a problem with them as I dropped my s4 a load of times and not a crack in it. I did take out insurance so hopefully they will sort me out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    I have a Samsung S6 and have it insured with Geek Squad for €15 a month. It seems a bit silly to be paying that much for phone insurance but after seeing the amount of things covered as well as the general support they have given me for any issues I've had previously, I honestly couldn't recommend them anymore.

Anymore or any more? Those mean opposite things.

lightspeed wrote: »
    Heres my history with phones and insurance.

Had and Iphone 4s when it first came out, i think it was around €600. I was on bill so traded in my old iphone 3 to get €40 back and then paid about €90 for iphone 4s.

Had it maybe 6 months and lost it on nite out so pissed i hadnt got the insurance. Got a prepay iphone 4s new for €600 and took the insurance out. Paid out the insurance for about a year and half and decided id cancel it. less than a week after canceling i drop iphone getting out of my car and smash the screen to pieces. €100 then to fix it in some shop in blanchardstown.

I then bought samsung edge 64gb for great price of €430 on pixmania just last November. Couldnt get it anywhere to insure it as it came from a shop in Italy and all insurance companies seem to require you to have bought the phone from within Ireland.

Then in August, I was walking with my phone when some prick on a bike snatched it from my hand and cycled off.

I just bought the Samsung S7 edge and got the insurance from three. I think it was €140 for the for the insurance and €690 for phone so €830 all together.

It really is quite a ridiculous amount of money you are spending on phones.

FortySeven wrote: »
    It really is quite a ridiculous amount of money you are spending on phones.

It's their money why do you care how it's spent?

Edups2.0 wrote: »

Who said I cared? I commented. This was a discussion board last time I checked and the amount he is spending on phones seems relevant enough to the discussion on the benefits of insuring them.

Anything to add yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Anyone can spend their money how ever they see fit. However a fool and their money it has to be said.
    Like take this for example... Say i go out tomorrow and pay €400 for a toaster and then post that to boards. Don't tell me you wouldn't call me an ejjit. But yet, it's my money tho.

But the funny thing is you would be right for calling me an ejjit.

• Advertisement

Anyone can spend their money how ever they see fit. However a fool and their money it has to be said.
    Like take this for example... Say i go out tomorrow and pay €400 for a toaster and then post that to boards. Don't tell me you wouldn't call me an ejjit. But yet, it's my money tho.

But the funny thing is you would be right for calling me an ejjit.

I wouldn't because I couldn't care less. Whatever empowers you brother.

I wouldn't because I couldn't care less. Whatever empowers you brother.

Sure you wouldn't ;)
    It's ok. I believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Sure you wouldn't ;)
    It's ok. I believe you.

I wouldn't. You don't know me. You don't know my story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No. Cost of the insurance works just as much as the cost of the phone. If phone breaks within warranty, get repaired. If lost, buy a new one.

I wouldn't. You don't know me. You don't know my story.

Well Atari Jaguar is spelled wrong. So you're right.... I don't know or want to know your story :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Well Atari Jaguar is spelled wrong. So you're right.... I don't know or want to know your story :pac:

Someone had taken the name already.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I have a phone from work which is covered by them if anything happens but my personal phone is not. It's OnePlus 3 so not too painful if it did become lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My phone cost me 50 euro so it wouldn't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

No insurance. Had my iPhone 5 4 years before it finally kicked the bucket a few weeks ago. €15pm for insurance would be €720 up until now. Doubtful how much they'd pay out at this stage too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Never have. Including my current iPhone. €889 iPhone 7.

Advertisement