Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your phone insured?

Options
  • 02-12-2016 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I never insure my phone but after losing one recently I decided it was for the best to insure the new one. The added expense is a bit of a pain though, €155 for the year isn't cheap.

So my question to you AH, is your phone insured? Why/why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nope, it's a company phone. So they take care of it if it breaks or goes missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't buy a needlessly expensive phone. I've a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro that costs 189usd... My mind discombobulates at how much money people throw at Apple and Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

jester77 wrote: »
    Nope, it's a company phone. So they take care of it if it breaks or goes missing.

I buy my own phones but should I lose/break it I can get a company phone if required so no I dont insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Nah. Had my HTC for 5 years now and it's never skipped a beat. It cost me circa 200 euro don't see the point in having insurance for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nope. absolutely waste of money. stick the money in a piggy bank instead if you think you might lose your phone. the last time i lost a phone was 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I buy my own phones but should I lose/break it I can get a company phone if required so no I dont insure.

Why buy your own when you can get it from the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

No. My phone cost me €39.99, and I don't tend to lose or break things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I wish I had a phone valuable enough to insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There was a man beside me had terrible luck with phones, so he decides to hell with it, goes in and gets insurance on his latest one.

Two days later he got kicked by a cow.

Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

OP, I'd strongly advise you read the terms of your new insurance.

When I sold phones I almost felt bad offering people insurance as it's a complete rip-off. Most cover nowadays have massive excess charges, even if you have a premium handset that cost 800 Euro's, you'd be paying about two hundred every time you make a claim, put 15 Euro a month on top of that it's a complete scam. Not to mention that a lot of the time you're getting a refurb, not even a new handset.

You're much better off putting away the money yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mine automatically comes insured by my ability to take care of my belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

jester77 wrote: »
    Why buy your own when you can get it from the company?

Because I would end up with an apple or samsung device which I dont want.
    My current and previous phones were OnePlus One & Oneplus 3, before that a HTC model, all nicer phones than what I could get from the company ( at least I think so ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Insurance is an absolute scam.
    You need to file a garda report and a report with the insurance co. within 24 hours of it being lost.

Not so easy when you don't have a phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

yes. I took out insurance on my Iphone in February. I stupidly dropped it a month ago and now I am getting a new phone cos the old one is damaged beyond repair. I am so glad I took out insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jaysus, at €155 a year I'd just put the money towards a new phone. Fup the banks.
    There was a man beside me had terrible luck with phones, so he decides to hell with it, goes in and gets insurance on his latest one.

Two days later he got kicked by a cow.

Coincidence?
    No, cows despise insurance, they see it as a form of gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, my phone is not insured.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's a good phone for €155 ?
    looking for android 5-5.5" , 2GB Ram , must take a mico SD card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

I thought car insurance was extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I just have third party fire and theft on my Note 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've never damaged or lost a phone before. Even if I had a really expensive one, I wouldn't insure it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I've had my iPhone 6 for 2 years. No insurance. I've never lost, broken or had a phone stolen. I've actually dropped it a few times and it's still perfect so I don't really see the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Phone insurance is a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

My friend was nearly crying the other day because she dropped her phone and the screen smashed. She said it would cost 200 to fix. It was 700 when she bought it.

I said to her, "sure just buy another new cheap(ish) phone instead and it will be less than 200, what is on that phone that's so special?" and she said "I know, there's nothing, well I kind of like the camera?"! Then we were laughing but I really think she is going to get it repaired or else buy a new one for 700 again!! I couldn't justify spending that much on a phone myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No it's not but should be. I've had 3 screen repairs and it's broken again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Used to have it but just scrapped it after about 7 years of no mishaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Xiaomi Redmi note 3 pro. 5.5" screen, Mem card slot, 3gb ram, fingerprint reader, battery that lasts two days between charges and the chipset is still good. Only thing you'd need to check is whether you get all the right bands for 4g in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Moto g 4th gen normal model or the g4 play model

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

I have a Samsung S6 and have it insured with Geek Squad for €15 a month. It seems a bit silly to be paying that much for phone insurance but after seeing the amount of things covered as well as the general support they have given me for any issues I've had previously, I honestly couldn't recommend them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    I have a Samsung S6 and have it insured with Geek Squad for €15 a month. It seems a bit silly to be paying that much for phone insurance but after seeing the amount of things covered as well as the general support they have given me for any issues I've had previously, I honestly couldn't recommend them anymore.

How much is an s6 worth?
    15 a month is €180 and you have to pay €60 excess when you make a claim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

tuxy wrote: »
    How much is an s6 worth?
    15 a month is €180 and you have to pay €60 excess when you make a claim!

When I bought it, it was €499.99. This was back almost at the beginning of this year, I believe it was on offer at the time in Carphone warehouse.

I'm a filthy pay as you go peasant so I bought the phone outright.

Not sure what the bill pay prices are like.

Advertisement