Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Irish language still exists?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

You're on a roll tonight, Johnny. What's next?
    Some suggestions:
    "Are the Irish the ugliest people in the world?"
    "Gaelic Games should be banned!"
    "Why do the Irish smell like used nappies?"
    "Would the world be better off if Ireland was just blown up?"

Thank you, I will take these into consideration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Some suggestions:

"Kristallnacht that Gaeltacht"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

feargale wrote: »
    Did you try doing likewise in Ring, Inishmaan or Falcarragh? You could get a free currach.

Cuir Gaeilge air sin.

I'd gladly give it a go in any Irish speaking place definitely. I'd consider myself semi-fluent I suppose, I could hold a conversation but wouldn't be absolutely flying along at the rate I do when speaking English. My girlfriend is fluent and sometimes we'd converse through Irish just to keep the rust off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

BabyE wrote: »
    French and German aren't useful, learning a foreign language unless that second language is English is not particularly valuable.

Yes, if you're out in dem fordeign parts and they're pretending not to understand you JUST SPEAK SLOOOOWER AND LOUUUDER!!!
    And make sure you complain that you can't get a decent fry up and where's the nearest Irish pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

wakka12 wrote: »
    Irish is a beautiful language that we should take pride in, why should everything we do be about functionality and practicality

I'm sure Cornish was for example. No one said Irish was not. Languagues die all the time. Humans have used the most common form of comunication. Languages come and go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Some suggestions:

See A.H. right now. Dirty Dingus Magee has taken the initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I worked with folks who spoke Irish. It's funny listening to the peppering of English every few seconds to describe all the modern things they dont have words for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm sure Cornish was for example. No one said Irish was not. Languagues die all the time. Humans have used the most common form of comunication. Languages come and go.

And architectural fashions come and go too, does that mean we should knock all our georgian architecture just because it no longer is fit for modern purpose. Language is heritage just like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

It's one of the ten oldest living languages in the world, it's an integral part of our culture and it fascinates tourists, it's easier to learn additional languages when you're bilingual.

Also, Irish nationalism differs from other forms of nationalism in that it isn't based on denigrating others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Also, Irish nationalism differs from other forms of nationalism in that it isn't based on denigrating others.

Irish nationalism better than other peoples nationalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

FortySeven wrote: »
    Chinese is very valuable. As is Japanese or Korean.

Australian could be useful but I believe it's a difficult one to master.

Chinese or mandarin ?

psinno wrote: »
    Irish nationalism better than other peoples nationalism.
    It doesn't have the same far right connotations as nationalism from other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's one of the ten oldest living languages in the world, it's an integral part of our culture and it fascinates tourists, it's easier to learn additional languages when you're bilingual.

Been living in the RoI for 25 years and I can't remember ever hearing the language being spoken outside the walls of the school. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's right to keep shoving it down people's throats in schools. That time could be used to teach them countless other skills that they will actually need in their daily lives.

Yes, Irish nationalism is great if you are white, Catholic and Irish. Not much equality otherwise ....

Damien360 wrote: »
    That would be fine but my 2 kids are learning the exact same way I was taught it years ago and they are growing a hatred of it already. I have a little bit of my Irish back from watching my kids struggle with it.

Why do the Welsh have a love of their language. How is it taught and can we learn from that. Irish was driven into me and most of us for 14 years and I speak more French and German from my 5 years secondary and more again from visiting the places.

Teach conversational Irish in school. If you want perfect Irish then you decide to go further in your studies at third level. Then we might see a change of attitude to the language.

My kids go to a gaelscoil, and learnt to be pretty fluent within junior infants and stilll managed to do all the other subjects that kids in English speaking schools do. immersion is in the only way to truly learn a language, the current version of listing of liom, Lear, leis , lei doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Wut? All living languages are as old as each other. What are you talking about?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    That makes absolutely no sense.

That's what they tell the eu for the heritage grant money.

ted1 wrote: »
    Damien360 wrote: »
    That would be fine but my 2 kids are learning the exact same way I was taught it years ago and they are growing a hatred of it already. I have a little bit of my Irish back from watching my kids struggle with it.

Why do the Welsh have a love of their language. How is it taught and can we learn from that. Irish was driven into me and most of us for 14 years and I speak more French and German from my 5 years secondary and more again from visiting the places.

Teach conversational Irish in school. If you want perfect Irish then you decide to go further in your studies at third level. Then we might see a change of attitude to the language.

My kids go to a gaelscoil, and learnt to be pretty fluent within junior infants and stilll managed to do all the other subjects that kids in English speaking schools do. immersion is in the only way to truly learn a language, the current version of listing of liom, Lear, leis , lei doesn't work.
    This makes me cringe. No your kids were not "fluent" in infancy. Unless they had native speakers as teachers there's a fair chance your kids did not even leave the school with fluency in sixth class.

That makes absolutely no sense.
    Please do elaborate why you think what I wrote makes no sense.

This makes me cringe. No your kids were not "fluent" in infancy. Unless they had native speakers as teachers there's a fair chance your kids did not even leave the school with fluency in sixth class.

How can anyone be fluent in a language that doesn't even have words for modern things? We have the same scourge here in Scotland where 1000 or so people pretend they speak Gaelic to be fashionable and all importantly, get money.

• Advertisement

How does it make you cringe? The kids havn't left the school yet, if someone speaks to them in Irish they will answer and talk back in Irish without hesitation. If they hear Irish on the TV ir radio they'll understand it just aswell as they would if it were in English and they'll often have rants in Irish.

Berserker wrote: »
    Been living in the RoI for 25 years and I can't remember ever hearing the language being spoken outside the walls of the school. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's right to keep shoving it down people's throats in schools. That time could be used to teach them countless other skills that they will actually need in their daily lives.

Yes, Irish nationalism is great if you are white, Catholic and Irish. Not much equality otherwise ....
    In most countries culture is seen as important, something of value that adds to the richness of life and something to be preserved.

I use it every day and have done all my life, as do the vast majority of people I meet every day. It's also growing in non traditional places like nationalist areas of N.Ireland and lots of children in gaelschols use it for a large portion of the day.

One of our founding fathers was half Cuban, a Puerto Rican help draw up our constitution and many prominent members of the Irish establishment were non-Catholic. Your point is mute.

How can anyone be fluent in a language that doesn't even have words for modern things? We have the same scourge here in Scotland where 1000 or so people pretend they speak Gaelic to be fashionable and all importantly, get money.

English has makey uppy words to, do you think internet browser or smart phone were in the dictionary in the 70 or 80s? Just because you use them everyday doesn't mean they are recently made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Jaysus lad you're a real downer.

How can anyone be fluent in a language that doesn't even have words for modern things?

I'm guessing that the teachers in the school tell them that their kids are fluent and the parents believe them. The teachers aren't fluent themselves, I suspect.

English has makey uppy words to, do you think internet browser or smart phone were in the dictionary in the 70 or 80s? Just because you use them everyday doesn't mean they are recently made up.

They're not makey uppy words. Those are English words. The same ones I hear Irish speakers using because they didn't makey uppy their own!

And those 'makey uppy' words are added to the dictionary for the English language. eg New words 2016 The English language is relevant to the modern world, so it is evolving.

I'm guessing that the teachers in the school tell them that their kids are fluent and the parents believe them. The teachers aren't fluent themselves, I suspect.

Don't be daft. Are you saying that someone who speaks a language every mi ute if their working week at a minimum isn't fluent.

I really don't think you understand how gaelscoils work

A good proportion of the class come from Hines where Irush is the primary language and the patents would pull them up fast.

How does it make you cringe? The kids havn't left the school yet, if someone speaks to them in Irish they will answer and talk back in Irish without hesitation. If they hear Irish on the TV ir radio they'll understand it just aswell as they would if it were in English and they'll often have rants in Irish.
    They may do but they aren't fluent.

• Advertisement

And those 'makey uppy' words are added to the dictionary for the English language. eg New words 2016 The English language is relevant to the modern world, so it is evolving.

So they mske them up but add them to the dictionary so that makes it different.,,ok..

Advertisement