Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Of Us 2

• 28-11-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Hey so I have been seeing some stuff on social media that this is going to be officially announced this week?
    Anyone know if this is true.....if so I cant wait, I absolutely loved the first game!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Half-Life 3 ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I hope its set in a different part of the States and has no connection to the first game other than there being an outbreak. Joel and Ellie's story is done and ended perfectly in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I hope its set in a different part of the States and has no connection to the first game other than there being an outbreak. Joel and Ellie's story is done and ended perfectly in my opinion

Agreed. Expanding their story further would be a travesty. It was perfect.

I have faith in Naughty Dog though. They know what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I have faith in Naughty Dog though.

I feel the same. The ending of Uncharted 4 was further proof that ND know how to wrap up a story and I suspect they realise that themselves. I doubt they'd mess with it. And even if TLoU didn't end the way it did, I would have still wanted a sequel to feature different characters and locations. A lot of the post-apolacyptic fiction doing the rounds centres on some sort of saviour/messiah factor. TLoU played with that concept brilliantly by undermining it. Another game set in that universe based on some sort of living cure would be a mistake. The world is in ruins and it will never recover. For me that is much more interesting territory for story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Yes, New character point of views would be awesome, and Maybe longer time in the world when it is Normal and then starts turning to ****...Kinda Like the opening credits of the first Last of us...A game set in the time when everything started to turn would be awesome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,202 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Whatever they do, I'd have complete faith in ND to make it work. In a way I'd like new characters, but if it was a return to Joel and Ellie, I'd have confidence that ND have a reason to return to those characters and have a story in mind to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If another game is announced I'll look forward to it, but I'm also happy enough for them to leave this world alone, it's fantastic as is.

As everyone is saying they should definitely forget about Joel and Ellie and move onto another character story, but if they do that it would have to be a totally different dynamic or it would just seem lazy. I think it would be cool if you possibly played as a Firefly in another part of the country at some point during the outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

1aeqwp.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Wow, Ellie is pissed!

Love the daring (Godfather) Part 2 on the title, looks like Naughty Dog are going all in on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yaaaaaaaaasssssssss

Apparently the story follows an older Ellie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Un fukking believable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally I'm more excited about Left Behind Part II :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I want it NOW

There was no way that trailer was running on a PS4, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Surprised they've gone with Joel and Ellie again. Not disappointed though, the relationship between those two in the first game was amazing and it'll be so interesting to see how it's developed.

TLOU2!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

RasTa wrote: »
    There was no way that trailer was running on a PS4, correct?
    It'll be an in-engine cutscene, running in real time on the PS4. Same as the original Uncharted 4 reveal so not indicative of in-game footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The window of the room Ellie is sitting in is the window that appears at the start screen of TLOU. This has sort of blown my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Thats a great surprise. Didn't think the sequel was going to be released for another couple years. Looking forward to it.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Didn't think the sequel was going to be released for another couple years.

Well, it almost certainly won't be released until 2018 (at least?) so you have a while to wait yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I hope they don't short change the AI system again. The difference between what was shown in the demos and the what was in the first game was night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That was game trailers 'Citizen Kane' moment.

Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Wooohooooooooooo!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Yeah hate to put a dampener on this but as an earlier poster already touched on, I can't see how continuing with Joel and Ellie's story is going to result in anything other than a step backwards, they can't possibly top the first game's story.

Also, in terms of game play TLOU was fairly ordinary, it was your bog standard 3rd person over the shoulder, cover based shooting, stealth elements, upgrade systems, collectathon like most AAA games these days. The only derivative box it didn't tick was that it wasn't open world and so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this sequel added a sandbox dimension to the game.

The story carried the first game, and it was a really great story. I can't see how this one will be an improvement. All that doom and gloom aside, I obviously do hope I'm wrong. I hope it's great, and you never know, ND could be trolling us with this trailer. For all we know we could be playing as one of the fireflies in this game and Ellie and Joel are the antagonists, that would be an interesting twist.

I think Joel is dead or will be killed off earlyish as he doesn't seem to have aged much although looks like maybe 8 or 9 years have passed.

Certainly expecting somethign dark, Is he(druckman) going down the Godfather route with the part II

I see they have female enemies but what about transgender?

https://abload.de/img/skrmbillede2016-12-036ea8m.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Yeah hate to put a dampener on this but as an earlier poster already touched on, I can't see how continuing with Joel and Ellie's story is going to result in anything other than a step backwards, they can't possibly top the first game's story.

Also, in terms of game play TLOU was fairly ordinary, it was your bog standard 3rd person over the shoulder, cover based shooting, stealth elements, upgrade systems, collectathon like most AAA games these days. The only derivative box it didn't tick was that it wasn't open world and so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this sequel added a sandbox dimension to the game.

The story carried the first game, and it was a really great story. I can't see how this one will be an improvement. All that doom and gloom aside, I obviously do hope I'm wrong. I hope it's great, and you never know, ND could be trolling us with this trailer. For all we know we could be playing as one of the fireflies in this game and Ellie and Joel are the antagonists, that would be an interesting twist.

As you said, the game play is pretty much a standard stealth/shooter and relies on the story, so I'm guessing that developing brand new leading characters could be too high risk, players may not bond with them and their story. Reviving the familiar faces seems like the safer option. I for one am happy with that decision, really looking forward to this and what they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

Need to save up for a PS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm sooooo excited for this I can't explain it. That trailer was just wow.

Advertisement