Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Whisk[e]ys 2016

Options
  • 30-11-2016 9:21pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A bit later than last years thread - what is everyone laying down for Christmas/New Years this year?

Had a few airport trips in the last few weeks so a Talisker Dark Storm and a Hibiki Master Select are my more interesting ones for now - but I've got about 65 quid in Supervalu vouchers to spend and my regular one has a very good selection so there'll be at least one more interesting bottle put aside.

Never opened the Yellow Spot I got for Paddys Day so that's a definite also. Depending on how the spending goes for presents and the work party I may let myself away with another hundred (or add it to the SV vouchers) for a last special bottle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Nothing too exciting: Caskmates, Black Barrel, Woodford Reserve and Writer's Tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I thought about splashing out for Xmas, but I think I'll just stick to what I know I like this year.

So..

Powers John's Lane
    Highland Park 12
    And I have a bottle of Teeling 21 year old that I only have on special occasions, so I'll dip into that no doubt.
    I also have a couple of bottles of regular Powers. Both for drinking, and for Irish coffees :)

*Might* pick something else up in the airport this weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just stocked the globe bar: Talisker 10, Ardbeg 10, Bowmore 12, Laphroaig 12, Connemara, Bushmills Black.

Will be a very merry xmas indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭FlicFlak

Just got a few more in:
    Laphroaig quarter cask (4 of them)
    Talisker storm
    Basil Haydens bourbon
    Tobermoray 10 year old!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SV vouchers went on a Singleton of Dufftown and a spare Black Bush.

Found a 50 quid Dunnes voucher which will likely buy a Woodford for mixing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Thinking about a Spot of whiskey for Christmas.
    Trying to decide between Yellow or Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

####yellow all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm still undecided, I'm heading DUB-JFK on sunday, I'll see what takes my fancy. Last month I picked up Redbreast Lustau for €45. Any recommendations people?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Redbreast 12 and Jameson Gold Reserve coming home with me for Christmas 

Had a taste of the gold reserve. It's odd in that compared to Redbreast it's got no nose, but the taste and finish are crazy complex. The finish especially great. Having said all that, I think I prefer the Redbreast overall, maybe not as complex as the gold reserve, but having been drinking it for years it's really a comforter!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I recently picked up a Redbreast 15, Arran 21st Anniversary, Arran High Seas, Speyside 1973, Glendronach 1989, 1992 and 1993, Bushmills 15 Artist Reserve, Laphroaig 18 Berry Bros and a Wilson and Morgan Now more 18.

• Advertisement

Picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12, and Powers John's Lane last night.

My first time trying the John's Lane (sure I had to have a drop). Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yellow spot, James black barrel and redbreast 12 cask mates purchased for me for the festivities.

Hopefully will get a bottle or two from family, they are usually good for it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Brockagh wrote: »
    I recently picked up a Redbreast 15, Arran 21st Anniversary, Arran High Seas, Speyside 1973, Glendronach 1989, 1992 and 1993, Bushmills 15 Artist Reserve, Laphroaig 18 Berry Bros and a Wilson and Morgan Now more 18.

Let me know how you think the Redbreast 15 compares to the 12 YO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Has anyone tried the Midleton VR 2016?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That Dunnes voucher went on Glenfiddich 12 - purely because my expectation that they had interesting bourbon was limited to two I already have, namely Wild Turkey and Bulleit - and that I already had everything else they had. At least the bottle is interesting even if the contents are relatively sedate!

Was in my local offie earlier picking up some beer and wine presents, and they had a couple of bottles of the new Dingle bottling. I totally caved and bought one. Now I'm in the position I knew I'd be in if I bought one. Drink it or keep it.. Tbh I'll probably just drink it!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

adrian522 wrote: »
    Let me know how you think the Redbreast 15 compares to the 12 YO.

I prefer it to the standard 12. It is more musty and oily, with maybe less menthol. Though the cask strength 12 might be better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

have been "building" a bar this year and have about 20 bottles of whiskey, most are pretty mainstream but there are a few I've not had before I'm looking forward to opening of the next week or so.
    Eagle Rare 10 yo bourbon
    Knappogue Castle 12 yo Single Malt
    Jameson Black Barrel

Have about half of Jack daniel Single Barrel left and if I finish that, there is a Gentleman Jack waiting

Got a bottle of Midleton Very Rare 2016 as a pressie, conflicted on if i should open it or not. Not planning on holding on and selling, just can't decide if i should hang on for a "special day" or if having an unopened Midleton VR is a special occasion on its own!

Would like to add one more bottle to the bar before the weekend while some offers are still on... thinking of Writers Tears or Redbreast 12...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Just picked up a bottle of Nikka from the barrel, quite sweet which was a pleasant surprise, think I'll like this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Was in my local offie earlier picking up some beer and wine presents, and they had a couple of bottles of the new Dingle bottling. I totally caved and bought one. Now I'm in the position I knew I'd be in if I bought one. Drink it or keep it.. Tbh I'll probably just drink it!

Do you mind me asking where you bought it? I've been looking for a bottle for a while now.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you bought it? I've been looking for a bottle for a while now.

Mitchells in CHQ had some on Tuesday. €80 - distributor price increase over the first shipment blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

L1011 wrote: »
    Mitchells in CHQ had some on Tuesday. €80 - distributor price increase over the first shipment blamed.

It might be a bit rich for me at that price. That's 2 bottles of Bushmills 10! Green Spot Château Léoville Barton is only 70.

€65 I was willing to push the boat out on a present; €80 and I bought a Writers Tears Readhead and will get them a few beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

It might be a bit rich for me at that price. That's 2 bottles of Bushmills 10! Green Spot Château Léoville Barton is only 70.

Dingle whisky is normally 70 though

Not at all, it was Molloys on Francis Street. Think they still had a few bottles left, but can't say if they still do. I paid €65.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Just picked up a bottle of Writers Tears there. Looking forward to a dram.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

In France for Christmas and picked up a bottle of Caskmates for the in-laws to drink on Christmas day for €22 and a bottle of Monkey Shoulder for me to take home for €23.

Advertisement