Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap christmas presents...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

a second hand yellow dog eared copy of a jeckl and hyde book is what my lovely sister got me one year

we were teenagers and fighting at the time :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

zzfh wrote: »
    A Chelsea jersey

Did she give you the plastic flag and Stormfront membership to go with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Got this weird puzzle thing with a picture of Galileo or something on the front, no idea what it does or what I'm supposed to do with it.

I think we bought one of those for a nephew once 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 headoverheels

Christmas 13' I got a girls aloud calendar for the year 2013....😟

Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

A couple of years ago I got the 'Elf' movie on dvd twice for Christmas...twice!
    From two different people mind, but I'm not big into movies.
    I did the decent thing and watched it, but hated it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I can't abide gift sets of shower gels, moisturisers etc.

So thoughtless, obviously someone has popped into Boots for the 3 for 2 offer.

The only item I ever use from them is the bubble bath. The rest sits on my dressing table for a while, gets dusty and then usually gets thrown out one day when I'm having a spring clean.
    I can guarantee I'll get a set this year, I always do.

I would rather someone went to Penneys and got me a €6 set of PJ's or some socks, even a candle! Just as thoughtless but I would at least use them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Christmas 13' I got a girls aloud calendar for the year 2013....😟

Brutal.

Hahaha this one made me laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

kfallon wrote: »
    What company has their Christmas Party on Christmas Eve? :confused:

I used to work in a pub and the Christmas party was always on Christmas Eve after we shut up shop.

On the thread don't think I've ever been given a really bad present, I quite like gift cards as I can just go into a shop and buy something I might actually want instead of something I might be stuck with. Last year got a one for all card off the folks and used it to buy a ton load of razors and shower gel which pretty much did me for the year, happy days.

I have gotten some pretty colourful jumpers off my grandparents over the years but hey I'd still wear them, they were bought out of love and were always warm. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I can't abide gift sets of shower gels, moisturisers etc.

So thoughtless, obviously someone has popped into Boots for the 3 for 2 offer.

The only item I ever use from them is the bubble bath. The rest sits on my dressing table for a while, gets dusty and then usually gets thrown out one day when I'm having a spring clean.
    I can guarantee I'll get a set this year, I always do.

I would rather someone went to Penneys and got me a €6 set of PJ's or some socks, even a candle! Just as thoughtless but I would at least use them :)

I wouldn't mind any of that stuff at all TBH. Even if it's not your favourite brand, its fairly practical and you could use it if you run out or as something to throw in an overnight/gym bag that you don't mind losing.

Gift giving can be hard, ideally it's something that a person wants, but wouldn't think of to get themselves.

I don't really expect things from people, i never really think i have a RIGHT to be given things...but stuff that you could never ever want or have any use for (or at least find funny) is a bit...odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Jo Malone perfume. 3 different bottles. It was worse than fly killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Years and years ago my best friends mom used to ring me each year about a month before Xmas asking for suggestions for her son. One year around that time we'd watched a movie in my house and it was an absolute turd - Head of State with Chris Rock.

Anyhoo of course when she rang that year I recounted that film we'd just watched that he absolutely loved and really wanted the DVD so she bought that for him.

I was cracking up Xmas morning thinking of his face when he opened it up, trying to stay positive for his mom's sake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I may be the grinch that stole chrismas but does anyone else not like receiving gifts? Honestly I'd be happiest if everyone's gift to me was that I didn't have to get them a gift. Not including the Kids of course. Got to keep the spirit alive for the ankle biters. Got my dad a ****ty Greyhound ornament once. That wasn't great......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Once recieved the free dvd from the cover of Empire or something with a load of trailers including Kill Bill on it,
    It wasn't even the most recent one, it was from some point during the year???
    :P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

A book about the history of Airfix models,from my brother.

Not that there's much wrong with that, me being interested in that sort of thing.

Trouble was , he'd given me exactly the same present three years earlier:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

wife had been complaining for years that all her kitchen knives were rubbish.
    So I bought her the worlds sharpest knife and had it gift wrapped for her

Was genuinely surprised at her reaction :confused::eek::o

ill never understand women

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

gramar wrote: »
    You mean she wrote Chelsea instead of Celtic on the letter to Santa Claus?
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Did she give you the plastic flag and Stormfront membership to go with it?

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

My sister got a car sandwich toaster off long term boyfriend for xmas.. pretty much finished after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My sister gives terrible gifts. I love reading but she got "Ma he sold me for twelve cigarettes" one year. I hate those depressing stories and it was written phonetically in the Dublin accent. Literally read one page and off to the charity shop it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

So far I want the helicopter, the elf dvds and the in car sandwich toaster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

wife had been complaining for years that all her kitchen knives were rubbish.
    So I bought her the worlds sharpest knife and had it gift wrapped for her

Was genuinely surprised at her reaction :confused::eek::o

ill never understand women

You're lucky to be alive. :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Anyone else having memories of Saturday morning, Noel Edmonds, "Swop Shop"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

SNNUS wrote: »
    My sister got a car sandwich toaster off long term boyfriend for xmas.. pretty much finished after that...
    I like a nice car sandwich with Chef sauce and cheese and onion Tayto.

Oh I got a kitchen utensil set once from my granny when I was about 12. I think she thought because it was shaped like a pig it was a kids thing! She used to recycle all her own presents though so no doubt someone gave it to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

SNNUS wrote: »

Instant picnic upgrade.

So romantic!

I think he sounds very thoughtful altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

A manicure set. I used to bite my nails quite badly as a child, the person who gave it to me thought having a manicure set would cure me of my habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

the empty super Nintendo box. It was an error and the shop fixed in in January but how did they not notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

mimimcmc wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I got the 'Elf' movie on dvd twice for Christmas...twice!
    From two different people mind, but I'm not big into movies.
    I did the decent thing and watched it, but hated it...

You. Don't. Deserve. Christmas. :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The worst Christmas present I got was a "Toy Airport" playset for a 4 year old boy in 1998.

At the time I was 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

maudgonner wrote: »
    You. Don't. Deserve. Christmas. :mad::mad:

Agreed. I watch that movie all year round cos smiling is my favourite :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I must admit to being one of those that goes down the Boots 3 for 2 route to cover the sister, mother, sister in law etc. Xtravision used to be great for DVDs for the brother in law and nephew too. Thank Christ for Amazon for books for everyone else.

Advertisement