Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railfreight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It was "full" as every wagon was loaded. Two laden tanks cannot be loaded on a single flat as it would exceed the axle load limit. The only time you see tanks doubled up is on the empty returns to Dublin.

They did do some incline starts at set point on the route to see if a 201 has any issues lifting the liner in awkward parts of the network.

I see, I take it those rules don't apply to CPW's?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I see, I take it those rules don't apply to CPW's?

Same rules apply to all rolling stock, the axle load limit is around 18.6-18.8 tons per axle on the network with the 201 locos being right on that limit.

Same rules apply to all rolling stock, the axle load limit is around 18.6-18.8 tons per axle on the network with the 201 locos being right on that limit.

Yeah after looking it does appear to always be returning liners which have two together. Never noticed until now!

Some of those GCA tanks are 30 footers too, they are very rare but they do pop up the odd time. The frame is still 20ft but the tank itself extends 5ft beyond the frame at each end so with those they will always be singles naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

She's fully loaded Jamie. The 20' tanks are heavy (assuming that they are loaded - which they normally are on westbound runs) and putting two of them on a wagon exceeds the maximum permissible axle loading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

IS this trial only for the IWT or will it run to Waterford as well at some point?

IS this trial only for the IWT or will it run to Waterford as well at some point?

Suppose they could do 18 CPWs to Waterford but there is not much point with the recent timber trail completed. High cubes won't fit under some bridges on the South Tip line, they need to get a load of 8'4 containers for standard LX wagons.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Suppose they could do 18 CPWs to Waterford but there is not much point with the recent timber trail completed.

Did they do a trial via Kildare including the run-around? Timber trial was to/from Limerick.

kc56 wrote: »
    Did they do a trial via Kildare including the run-around? Timber trial was to/from Limerick.

No, but I take it they know how long 18 CPWs or 27 47ft wagons are and the distance between the points and signals so they already know if it will fit or not.

For the IWT there is one passing loop in Offaly that can no longer be used once they go to 54TEU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y08ALqh-ewc

Looks like planned to start operating between October/December when new timetable comes in!

Edit - Indo piece:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/watch-irish-rail-trials-longest-ever-440metre-trains-34840428.html
    In recent weeks a container train of 27 wagons, stretching 440 metres and carrying 1,110 tonnes has been operated. A pulpwood train of 390 metres has also travelled the network, while another train was found to be capable of carrying 1,310 tonnes.

The rail operator said it was working with existing customers as well as freight forwarders, ports and the Irish Exporters Association to identify opportunities and trends for rail freight development within the Irish and European market.

Is the 1,310 tonnes the timber or what could it be?

• Advertisement

Is the 1,310 tonnes the timber or what could it be?

The 1310 was the HOBs test out of Heuston. It was 16 laden autoballasters with 226 leading and 8209 dead at the rear. 8209 hauled it back with 226 powered down.

GM228 wrote: »
    All 27 wagons will operate through to Ballina.

There will be no return trial train.

The train was actually split at Claremorris and the 9 wagons were stabled there overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The train was actually split at Claremorris and the 9 wagons were stabled there overnight.

Thanks for that, original plan after the cancled Waterford-Limerick-Waterford run was to operate all the way to Ballina, I wonder why it was changed and what was the benefit of leaving 9 in Claremorris?

I wonder why it was changed and what was the benefit of leaving 9 in Claremorris?

At a guess I'd say it was due to the siding lengths in Ballina yard that was free, a 27 wagon train probably would have fouled one of the other lines unless it was unloaded and shunted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Some of my pictures and videos from last night

Starts at http://smu.gs/292fOyd

I must go and find out what the tonnage was for last night.

Supposedly 1,110 tonnes from what I have seen posted around.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Heres a question. what do people here think of the following scenario?

If the UK cannot agree with the EU to allow the free movement of goods and as such custom checks etc are required to move freight through the UK, even just transiting freight, could the likes of Rosslare and Waterford see an increase in freight as it is re-routed both in and out of the country? If this does happen could we see an increase in rail freight from both ports and if so would a Dublin freight liner be possible from one or both?

I know the above is pure speculation/wishful thinking but given what is happening in the UK maybe worth discussing.

Supposedly 1,110 tonnes from what I have seen posted around.

According to a friend in IE the weight was a little over 950 tons as there were several empty containers on the train.

Another fully loaded test train may be required before the trains are authorised to run normally. Also told when nornal operation does commence in October they won't actually be operating normally as 27 wagon trains, will be more likely 24 wagons.

If it was 950 it wasn't much of a test as they used to run 900 ton cement trains with the bogie bulks to Cork with 201s in the past.

If it was 950 it wasn't much of a test as they used to run 900 ton cement trains with the bogie bulks to Cork with 201s in the past.

900 ton cements were cleared for both 071s and 201s, with 071s cleared between Platin-North Wall and 201s between Platin-North Wall-Cork.

40 TEU 1000 ton liners used to work to Cork and Limerick in the past with 201s also and Tara Mines trains also operate at 900 tons with 071s, weight is not the overall reason for these tests.

201 train weight tests were conducted with the HOBS (1,300 ton). This test was more to due with train lenght and vacuum brake response time as opposed to the laden weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Wasn't the 201 put to the ultimate test in Cork on delivery dragged 1300+ tons out of Cork during commissioning trials

Wasn't the 201 put to the ultimate test in Cork on delivery dragged 1300+ tons out of Cork during commissioning trials

The trial train was on 25th June 1994, 201 hauled a 17 wagon train from Cork to Rathpeacon and it was just over 1000 tons consisting of 10 x laden LP/LX wagons, 5 x laden fertiliser wagons and 2 x Ammonia barrier wagons.

Shortly afterwards a 201 hauled a 21 wagon 1000 ton test mixed fertiliser/LP/LX train from North Wall to Cork.

These trials eventually led to clearance for the 40TEU 1000 ton liners.

The trial train was on 25th June 1994, 201 hauled a 17 wagon train from Cork to Rathpeacon and it was just over 1000 tons consisting of 10 x laden LP/LX wagons, 5 x laden fertiliser wagons and 2 x Ammonia barrier wagons.

Shortly afterwards a 201 hauled a 21 wagon 1000 ton test mixed fertiliser/LP/LX train from North Wall to Cork.

These trials eventually led to clearance for the 40TEU 1000 ton liners.

But before all this wasn't the A class hauling 900+ ton tara trains since the mid '70s.

But before all this wasn't the A class hauling 900+ ton tara trains since the mid '70s.

Tara Mines trains are cleared to operate upto 942 ton, but in reality they are never more than 900 ton as each wagon has a max weight of 75 ton when laden.

Yes the As have been known to haul 900 ton 12 wagon Taras, but 750 ton 10 wagon trains were more common for the As.

DFDS has moved back to LX instead of the CPW's. Not sure if it's temporary but good to see it doing well again if it's full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

DFDS has moved back to LX instead of the CPW's. Not sure if it's temporary but good to see it doing well again if it's full time.
    It's a new contract until March, Reefer containers, they won't fit into the CPWs, so the LXs are replacing the CPWs for the moment, hmmm CPWs probably go into short term storage for the moment, mothballed.
    Regards
    hg

Thought the reefers were all 45ft, should fit in the CPWs no problem as the LX can handle 45ft max.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Thought the reefers were all 45ft, should fit in the CPWs no problem as the LX can handle 45ft max.
    I don't think it's to do with the lenght, as you say the 45ft fit into the CPWs which is correct, it's more the width, not sure, but there is an issue with reefers and the CPWs, the LXs worked to Ballina Wednesday 23rd to replace the CPWs to facilitate the new contract.
    Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

h.gricer wrote: »
    It's a new contract until March, Reefer containers, they won't fit into the CPWs, so the LXs are replacing the CPWs for the moment, hmmm CPWs probably go into short term storage for the moment, mothballed.
    Regards
    hg

Very short contract it must be very lucrative

• Advertisement

Very short contract it must be very lucrative

Suspect not for IE, maybe for DFDS.

Advertisement