Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where can I find a pint of Murphy's in Dublin city?

Options
  • 25-11-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

So here is my problem, my work colleagues and I have been searching for a pint of Murphy's for the last few months and haven't found any, I have turned to you guys for help,

Every friday we like to go for a few pints to unwind....We have tried every pint known to man but a few of us have never had Murphy's....so we started searching and to our amazement we couldn't find any. we did all the usual stuff to research, like googled it, and it gave us a few names but still, when we went to the pubs Murphy's was nowhere to be found. One girl in my office even got a list of names from the PR company that Murphys should be sold in and today we went to McDaids just off Grafton street to see if they had any....and still No Murphy's. So my goal here with this thread is hopefully find somebody that has drank a pint of Murphy's reticently in Dublin City and could point me in that direction. This would be great help as we are all very thirsty individuals

Cheers,
    G

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Lord Edward used to do it and I'm pretty sure Jack Nealon's on Capel Street sell it as well.

I'd not get your hopes up though, it's a pretty poor stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

irish_goat wrote: »
    The Lord Edward used to do it and I'm pretty sure Jack Nealon's on Capel Street sell it as well.

Hahaha, Thanks Irish Goat, One guy in here tells us it is nice than Guinness? But we will definitly try these two pubs and hopefully we get it.
    I don't even think its about the taste anymore....we have just made it our mission to find the damn stuff,

Also, if you have Untappd you can search for Murphy's then click "Find it" and it'll look up nearby pubs that people checked it in at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Murphy's is a lovely stout.
    I prefer Guinness, but I used to love having a Murphy's or two in my local. Haven't seen it years though.

Let's get a list of places in Dublin going. Have a thirst for it now OP!

Murphy's is a lovely stout.
    I prefer Guinness, but I used to love having a Murphy's or two in my local. Haven't seen it years though.

Let's get a list of places in Dublin going. Have a thirst for it now OP!
    well if we find Murphy's I will update this thread.....Surely I can be the only one that can't find it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd bet money that O'Neill's of Suffolk Street has it. They have everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Gregorym2 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Every friday we like to go for a few pints to unwind....We have tried every pint known to man but a few of us have never had Murphys

Cheers,
    G

Share any interesting beers you've had with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Here ya go

It's an added bonus for any gigs in the Olympia too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's an added bonus for any gigs in the Olympia too
    Can't beat a nice pint glass highly flexible polystyrene receptacle of stout, the hint of taste of injection moulding release agents that grandad loved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

Gibneys of malahide have Murphys on draught

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

As a corkonian, I strongly disagree (although I would prefer a Beamish )

Beamish
    Murphy's
    Guinness

In that order.

Now, having said that there are better stouts.

But for what's readily advailibly on tap locally, .
    The above list would be my preferred in order

*awaits backlash from those within the pale

pa990 wrote: »
    Beamish
    Murphy's
    Guinness

In that order.

I completely agree with that order, but they're all still poor quality. :p

Beamish is, at least, generally priced accordingly.

Here ya go
    We tried Oscars two weeks ago and they didn't do it :-)...But we will try the other places on your list,
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The Bank on College Green certainly used to have it on tap; I had a pint of it there albeit some years ago. If they don't then they have O'Hara's which would be close to it as craft beers go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Beamish is the superior stout among the Big Three.

Murphy's is brewed in the same place now, since both brands were accquired by Heineken, and quite baffingly, is almost always substantially more expensive. It's obviously being pushed as the 'upmarket' brand, with more advertising dedicated to it.

And you know what? It fuccking works!! People eat (or in this case, drink) that shhit up, and shhite on about Murphy's being obviously better. It's an advertising/price thing, I'd be willing to put money on it.

For this alone, I resent it, not to mention it just tastes so close to Guinness anyway. Beamish all the fuccking way.

Beamish is the superior stout among the Big Three.

Murphy's is brewed in the same place now, since both brands were accquired by Heineken, and quite baffingly, is almost always substantially more expensive. It's obviously being pushed as the 'upmarket' brand, with more advertising dedicated to it.

And you know what? It fuccking works!! People eat (or in this case, drink) that shhit up, and shhite on about Murphy's being obviously better. It's an advertising/price thing, I'd be willing to put money on it.

For this alone, I resent it, not to mention it just tastes so close to Guinness anyway. Beamish all the fuccking way.

We need to find an establishment that sells all 3 on draught and have a proper comparison :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's an advertising/price thing, I'd be willing to put money on it.
    I've tasted them blind and I prefer Murphy's to Beamish, but there you go: taste varies.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's an advertising/price thing, I'd be willing to put money on it.
    I've tasted them blind and I prefer Murphy's to Beamish, but there you go: taste varies.
    I have also Never Tried Beamish....Is it really that much nicer than Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭yknaa

Murphys, Beamish, Guinness in that order for me - but won't quibble with any of 'em if you are in the chair ;-)

• Advertisement

my work colleagues and I have been searching for a pint of Murphy's for the last few months
    We have tried every pint known to man
    I have also Never Tried Beamish.

:confused:

so in all these months of trying to find one stout you never thought of trying a beamish?

I still reckon there are loads of people who consider themselves guinness drinkers who have only ever tasted 1 or 2 other stouts, if even. Many would struggle to tell the 3 stouts mentioned apart. Would be great to secretly serve up a guinness in a murphys glass to a self proclaimed guinness drinker, could imagine many of them retching drinking it "knew it would be muck"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

I have also Never Tried Beamish....Is it really that much nicer than Guinness?

No and most people wouldn't be able to tell them apart if they didn't know what they were drinking. There's a good chance of telling Murphy's from the other two as it is less bitter and has more of a chocolate flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

The Palace Bar on Fleet Street usually has it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The bar at the Gaiety Theatre only sells Murphys and not Guinness from what I remember. Reason being is that Murphys comes in the small kegs so they can carry them up the stairs to the bar. Been a while since I was there so this might have changed.

Always thought that Mulligans was very popular with Cork folks so I bet they have good Murphys.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    The bar at the Gaiety Theatre only sells Murphys and not Guinness from what I remember. Reason being is that Murphys comes in the small kegs so they can carry them up the stairs to the bar. Been a while since I was there so this might have changed.

The Gaiety sells Guinness and other Diageo products. The Olympia carries or has carried Murphy's. Keg size wouldn't make a difference; even a 20 or 30 litre keg is a pig to move without some sort of a lift to aid you.

BailMeOut wrote: »

The Gaiety sells Guinness and other Diageo products. The Olympia carries or has carried Murphy's. Keg size wouldn't make a difference; even a 20 or 30 litre keg is a pig to move without some sort of a lift to aid you.

Bro, do you even lift?

Bull and Castle keg room is on the top floor and there's only one way to get the kegs up. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I found murphys to be sweeter than Guinness and beamish to have a harder aftertaste. Guinness is more pleasant middle ground

Bro, do you even lift?

Bull and Castle keg room is on the top floor and there's only one way to get the kegs up. :P

Staff in the Gaiety have no hassle moving 50L kegs into their Sky Bar, which is higher than the bar in the O :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

So OP....did you find murphys anywhere...and can you recommend any decent pints to the rest of us?

• Advertisement

Staff in the Gaiety have no hassle moving 50L kegs into their Sky Bar, which is higher than the bar in the O :)

You are after ruining a perfectly good bloke in the pub/theatre myth there!

these sell 30L guinness BTW
    https://www.brewcrew.ie/shop/beer/guinness-stout-4-2-abv-30l-keg/

this is a 4.1% one, possibly UK market stuff
    http://www.ooberstock.com/guinness-4-1-30l-keg

I do see 20L murphys kegs though.

Many concert venues have very limited drinks, always amuses me to hear people when a place does not have their "set in stone" preferred stout (I live in dublin so it's usually guinness) and then hear them change to drink bulmers or heineken, or whatever other limited drink is on sale. I guess in Cork you might get similar people if there are venues that only stock guinness.

Be like gasping for your preferred cola, coke and changing to milk or any random brand of lemonade or "lemon & lime" instead of drinking that utterly vile stuff that some sicko feckers drink, you know that stuff known as pepsi.

Advertisement