Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find a pint of Murphy's in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chiarrai19

Oscars on Smithfield square have it on tap. Saw it maybe 2 weeks ago. Sweeter than Guinness,love having a few in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Murphy's is a fine stout. Richer and creamier than Guinness. In my Leeside days it was a regular for me.. As it's so difficult to get up this way I migrated to Guinness but this thread has given me the will to seek out a Murphy's this side of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Seek out an Oharas instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »

Many concert venues have very limited drinks, always amuses me to hear people when a place does not have their "set in stone" preferred stout (I live in dublin so it's usually guinness) and then hear them change to drink bulmers or heineken, or whatever other limited drink is on sale. I guess in Cork you might get similar people if there are venues that only stock guinness.

Be like gasping for your preferred cola, coke and changing to milk or any random brand of lemonade or "lemon & lime" instead of drinking that utterly vile stuff that some sicko feckers drink, you know that stuff known as pepsi.

This seems to be reserved for "Guinness men".
    I guess Beamish and Murphys drinkers are more accustomed to their preferred stout being unavailable. They will bitch and moan and drink Guinness.

It also seems that a Murphys drinker will usually opt for Guinness over Beamish and visa versa.

Very odd bunch, these brand loyal stout drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

So OP....did you find murphys anywhere...and can you recommend any decent pints to the rest of us?
    Hey demanufactured,
    So this Thursday we are on the Hunt for Murphys again, we have gotten some great leads thanks to this Thread and I will keep you all posted in our travels....Saddly at the moment none of us have taste the holy grail that is Murphys :-)

Other Finds tho have been O'hara's which one of my colluges really likes,
    then there is the interesting Smithwicks blonde...
    Peters pub sells a nice pint of Peroni on tap, but is very expensive which i found out the hard way :-)
    McDaids have a nice pint of Guinness and is very cosy...But no Murphys,
    we have lots more but I cant think right now!!

• Advertisement

List of Murphys Leads so Far:
    1. The Lord Edward
    2. Jack Nealons
    3. O'Neills
    4. The Temple Bar
    5. The Auld Dubliner
    6. Gallagher Boxty House
    7. Oscars
    8. Fitzimons
    9. Olympia
    10. Gibneys
    11. The Bank
    12. The Palace Bar
    13. Gaiety
    So this Thursday we will be Trying the Bank...I will keep you all posted,

Cheers,
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Gregorym2 wrote: »
    List of Murphys Leads so Far:
    1. The Lord Edward
    2. Jack Nealons
    3. O'Neills
    4. The Temple Bar
    5. The Auld Dubliner
    6. Gallagher Boxty House
    7. Oscars
    8. Fitzimons
    9. Olympia
    10. Gibneys
    11. The Bank
    12. The Palace Bar
    13. Gaiety
    So this Thursday we will be Trying the Bank...I will keep you all posted,

Cheers,
    Greg

Unless you have tickets for a performance, you won't gain access to the Gaiety or the Olympia.

Hey demanufactured,
    So this Thursday we are on the Hunt for Murphys again, we have gotten some great leads thanks to this Thread and I will keep you all posted in our travels....Saddly at the moment none of us have taste the holy grail that is Murphys :-)

Peters pub sells a nice pint of Peroni on tap, but is very expensive which i found out the hard way :-)

What beers are you into?

Hey demanufactured,

What beers are you into?
    Im easy, Ill tray anything, Beer, Stout, ale...Doesn't bother me :-) what beers are you in to? any beers you would recommend?

Im easy, Ill tray anything, Beer, Stout, ale...Doesn't bother me :-) what beers are you in to? any beers you would recommend?

Pale ales mostly....but enjoying a few different stouts lately.

Blacks kinsale pale ale is my no.1
    Also like a pint of oharas pale and and Galway hooker pale ale.

My local steakhouse has murphys stout on tap...grand with a steak.
    Oharas leann foilin is a serious stout..well worth a try.
    Trouble brewing dark arts porter is also a serious beer.

Can't drink lagers at all anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's definitely in the Olympia, I was there last week and had a pint, it was fine even out of plastic. Obviously you'd need a ticket to whatever gig is on though.

Hey Everyone,

So we went for our weekly outing for Murphy's today, Our First Lead we tried was The Bank on College green,
    the scene was set, the place was brewing with Christmas Charm, and the ambiance was complemented by a lady playing piano in the corner,....as I approached the bar man, I could feel the excitement inside me, I asked him "do you sell Murphy's"...His answer seemed to take an eternity...His reply "No, sorry we only do O'Hara's or Guinness".... 
    We all ended up getting O'Hara's Stout, which I must say doesn't come close to Guinness in my opinion as I felt it to be very strong and  bit bitter...However maybe it was just the disappointment of Not getting Murphy's, that left a bad Taste in My mouth, Anyway just to let you all know the bank does not sell Murphys :-) Happy Hunting!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You were two minutes walk from O'Neill's :rolleyes: This is a rod you've fashioned for your own back :D

O'Neills will be next week :-) if you are that certain it is there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Fox Hound wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

So we went for our weekly outing for Murphy's today, Our First Lead we tried was The Bank on College green,
    the scene was set, the place was brewing with Christmas Charm, and the ambiance was complemented by a lady playing piano in the corner,....as I approached the bar man, I could feel the excitement inside me, I asked him "do you sell Murphy's"...His answer seemed to take an eternity...His reply "No, sorry we only do O'Hara's or Guinness".... 
    We all ended up getting O'Hara's Stout, which I must say doesn't come close to Guinness in my opinion as I felt it to be very strong and  bit bitter...However maybe it was just the disappointment of Not getting Murphy's, that left a bad Taste in My mouth, Anyway just to let you all know the bank does not sell Murphys :-) Happy Hunting!!!

Have you contacted Heineken to see if they can tell you which pubs buy it off them?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Have you contacted Heineken to see if they can tell you which pubs buy it off them?
    No I haven't, I will give them a shout :-)

This was taken last June, but I doubt any of the big names have changed.

oneillsblackboard_zpshs03zs8r.jpg

BeerNut wrote: »

Well its the best lead We have gotten so far, Thank you Beer Nut

€5.10 for a stout in 2015??

well la-di-dah

lawred2 wrote: »
    €5.10 for a stout in 2015??
    2016. 3rd June, according to the datestamp on my phone.

• Advertisement

the bank cost us €21.50 for 4 pints of O'Hara's today,
    ....But I feel if we start talking about beer prices in dublin then I am pretty sure we are opening up a a whole other tin of worms haha

2016. 3rd June, according to the datestamp on my phone.

It's the big 2015 in the picture I was working off...

However over 5 quid for a stout is cheeky

....But I feel if we start talking about beer prices in dublin then I am pretty sure we are opening up a a whole other tin of worms haha

You're out an about nice and early!? Take it none of you are nine to five'rs?

Sneaky Lunch drinks:getlost:

On Suffolk Street? How much would you pay around there normally? I'd have thought a fiver and more is normal for D2's main streets.

I agree anthing over €5 for a pint of stout is pretty disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I have a list of pubs that sell Murphys in Dublin that a Murphys rep sent me via email about 2 years ago.

I'll try fish it out for you.

Rookie mistake getting OHaras over Guinness BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I have a group of friends who normally go for Beamish, Murphy's and Guinness (the unholy trinity they call it) and I believe they found a Dublin pub that serves all three. I'll ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

We all ended up getting O'Hara's Stout, which I must say doesn't come close to Guinness in my opinion as I felt it to be very strong and  bit bitter.
    Thats why I would prefer o haras!, guinness is very weak tasting and not bitter enough. I don't find too much difference though.

I am convinced guinness has changed quite a bit over the years. In other threads people seemingly in the know said it did change to be more acceptable.

~25 years ago I always heard about guinness being "an acquired taste", and remember some lads and nearly all girls I knew wincing at the taste of it. It then really struck home when "arthurs day" came about and saw all these young wans lashing down pints of the stuff -some sponsored bars have very little selection on the day. Not many grimacing drinkers about.

I can easily lash down the last of a guinness in a pub if the lads I am with are moving on, I remember being in the porter house and being told to hurry up and saying "its not guinness!" probably their 4x stout and being unable to just lash it down like water, or any old mainstream lager.
    what caught my eye is fosters is €1 less than beamish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

To quote a Diageo brewer, "we brew beer that you can drink 7 or 8 of in one sitting".

Advertisement