Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Micheal O Leary going to be the Irish Donald Trump ?

Options
  • 25-11-2016 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

And if it does happen I think could be the best thing to happen this country !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No.

Irish people aren't American and wouldn't vote for someone like O'Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

No,pity though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

No.

I would. Better than the current fools in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I would vote for O`Leary also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No.

I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The majority private sector are waiting in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You could vote for him if he stood as a TD and then what? We don't have a presidential election as they do in the States. He'd need to be the head of a popular political party in order for something similar to happen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

No.

"We" vote for Michael Lowry, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Well thankfully the Irish system, despite its flaws, is nothing like the US system. If MO'L wanted to get elected to power he'd have to work an awful lot harder than Trump did.

Option 1: Replace Michael D as President.

Largely pointless, the office has no real power to change things and O'Leary would get bored twiddling his thumbs. It's also a position that requires a certain level of diplomatic tact and decorum.... perhaps not then.

Option 2: Join a political party - get selected to run as TD - get elected as TD - win parliamentary party leadership election - win overall majority in election.

As mentioned earlier, a lot more work than Trump. Of course he'd get parachuted into any major party (FG I'll assume) and most probably get elected as a TD first time. Would he get elected party leader - not sure about that. Also would be highly unlikely to gain enough seats for an overall Dáil majority so some sort of coalition would be necessary and probably with a left/centre-left party. So no nothing like DT.

Option 3: Form a political party and continue as option 2 above.

Easier to be nominated party leader but impossible to gain enough seats (in the short term) to make any difference.

So not impossible but very very unlikely and if he did manage it he'd probably deserve it (through hard work at least) unlike Trump. Still wouldn't vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are big differences between MOL and DT. MOL took a failing small business and grew it into a very large multinational. DT does not have that track record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Water John wrote: »
    There are big differences between MOL and DT. MOL took a failing small business and grew it into a very large multinational. DT does not have that track record.

Exactly. Plus MOL, while "contoversial" (the truth is controversial to some), is not a racist, xenophobic misogynist (the odd Ryanair calendar aside...)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Water John wrote: »

I'd put it more bluntly. M.O'L has brains, D.T sits on his.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

And if it does happen I think could be the best thing to happen this country !

How exactly? If he runs for the dail he would be one among many, no way would he be elected taoiseach. He would have to join and become leader of a party and that won't happen.

Even if he ran for and got elected president he would have very little power, maybe he might be allowed choose andrex or kittensoft but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I could see O'Leary getting elected, but I picture it ending up like George Lee. Going in to the Dáil full of hope and big ideas, then being disappointed after realising he would have far less influence than he imagined.

It's effectively impossible to shoot to the top like in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Water John wrote:

Yeah, because Trump was a household name before Donald started out.

Donald is O'Leary to the power of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

When a person considers Michael O'Leary to be the answer, their question is mighty stoopid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I would vote for him also

When a person considers Michael O'Leary to be the answer, their question is mighty stoopid.

Would you rather a former primary school teacher to be either Taoiseach or Minister for Finance or would you rather Michael O'Leary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

absolutely Id vote for him, he might not be able to change very much, unless her started his own party and was involved in government, but it would be great for him to call out all the incompetent gob****es for what they are...

Liger, perhaps yo could give a reasoned analysis for your claim.

Would you rather a former primary school teacher to be either Taoiseach or Minister for Finance or would you rather Michael O'Leary?

I'd prefer a stray cat to O'Leary.

That's why we got bertie and ends.

People that never ran a business or have experience

That's why we got bertie and ends.

People that never ran a business or have experience

I'd prefer Bertie to a stray cat or O'Leary if that helps.

So, you'd rather a Primary School teacher to lead the country or manage the finances rather than a somewhat maverick but undoubtedly successful business man.

And that's not even taking into account his hatred for Man U supporters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Michael O'Leary: The pr1cks pr1ck

To rob Kevin Bridges best phrase

I'd prefer Bertie to a stray cat or O'Leary if that helps.

Fair enough, bertie cost people of Ireland money and lives.

It doesn't stop him providing a service to Manchester.

• Advertisement

So, you'd rather a Primary School teacher to lead the country or manage the finances rather than a somewhat maverick but undoubtedly successful business man.

And that's not even taking into account his hatred for Man U supporters :D

Yes. His admirable ABU aside, I'd rather no Taoiseach than O'Leary. Or maybe a slug instead. Yes, I think a slug instead of O'Leary.

Advertisement