Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Hue FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Just leave everything as normal, and in time people will stop turning off the light switches,

You actually want to have your original light switches anyway so you can just use the bulbs like regular bulbs (if/when you don't have phone in hand, or a hue dimmer/sensor) as its a pain in the ass walking around a house entirely populated by hue bulbs, and having to have your phone with you all the time!!

usually anyway the only lights in rooms with wall switches are the centre lights.

My wife is currently firmly in the "very skeptical" camp regarding this, if I leave the current light switches as they are, and add new Hue switches, I will keep getting "the new lights are not working" when she tries to turn them on with the newly provided switch. Or "this is stupid, I have to switch them on twice every time" and this whole wonderful experience will come to a very heated and abrupt halt.

I know it is not ideal, but while we're still in the "undecided" stage, I am going to replace like with like, and replace switches with switches!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My wife is currently firmly in the "very skeptical" camp regarding this, if I leave the current light switches as they are, and add new Hue switches, I will keep getting "the new lights are not working" when she tries to turn them on with the newly provided switch. Or "this is stupid, I have to switch them on twice every time" and this whole wonderful experience will come to a very heated and abrupt halt.

I know it is not ideal, but while we're still in the "undecided" stage, I am going to replace like with like, and replace switches with switches!!

That is what these are for:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabySecurity-Single-Electric-Socket-Cover/dp/B000X1DNIM/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchSafe-socket-protector-prevent-accidental/dp/B01634O2MS/ref=pd_sim_60_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VMS1BH456Z1G9YN2XCRS

I find that the Hue switches actually makes it easier for non techies to accept. Makes it just like having a normal light switch, but one you can carry around with you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

or just set all your hue lights on timers, and never have to use a light switch or the app* again

*only when the days get longer/shorter, adjust the timers in the app to suit.

get a few sensors, and they'll turn the lights on or off for you completely automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

New wife. Keep the Hue.

Although on a more serious note the motion sensors are the way to go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

bk wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabySecurity-Single-Electric-Socket-Cover/dp/B000X1DNIM/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchSafe-socket-protector-prevent-accidental/dp/B01634O2MS/ref=pd_sim_60_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VMS1BH456Z1G9YN2XCRS

I find that the Hue switches actually makes it easier for non techies to accept. Makes it just like having a normal light switch, but one you can carry around with you.

Would that second one be big enough to cover a normal light switch?

• Advertisement

Excuse the awful pun, but I think our wires are crossed here :D

Your links are for sockets. I am talking about light switches. And I'm trying to make the same point as you, i.e. I am extolling the virtue of Hue light switches.
    or just set all your hue lights on timers, and never have to use a light switch or the app* again

*only when the days get longer/shorter, adjust the timers in the app to suit.

get a few sensors, and they'll turn the lights on or off for you completely automatically.

See that just won't work in reality, certainly in my house, for all sorts of reasons. Some days are darker than others, some days you don't want the lights on, my wife can never find her phone, as examples. How utterly frustrating would it be that she can't control/adjust the lights without an app?
    Roen wrote: »
    New wife. Keep the Hue.

Although on a more serious note the motion sensors are the way to go for me.

New wife....and I thought HueAddiction was expensive....how ironic if that was the straw that broke the camel's back...I end up with the Hue stuff, she gets the house :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Just taken first plunge into HA with purchase of Amazon Echo, black Friday huh! I'm hoping to ease the family into the idea with the voice controlled music feature via spotify. Next is the lighting, I was assuming we could control the hue fitted lights via voice control? Therefore not needing to purchase switches? Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

duffer247 wrote: »
    I was assuming we could control the hue fitted lights via voice control? Therefore not needing to purchase switches? Am I correct?

Correct, this will work with the echo or the echo dot.

I was assuming we could control the hue fitted lights via voice control? Therefore not needing to purchase switches? Am I correct?

You can also use Siri on iOS devices to control hue lighting,

This feature is the main difference between the 1st gen hue bridge & the 2nd gen hue bridge.;
    Apple HomeKit enabled

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

matrim wrote: »
    Would that second one be big enough to cover a normal light switch?

Yes, I have a few of them doing that. It covers just the "button".
    Excuse the awful pun, but I think our wires are crossed here :D

Your links are for sockets. I am talking about light switches. And I'm trying to make the same point as you, i.e. I am extolling the virtue of Hue light switches.

Sorry, yup responding to too many posts.

BTW These actually cover light switches too.

The first one can cover either a single gang light switch on a single gang socket. I have one of these covering a single gang dual dimmer light switch.

The second covers just the "button" on either a standard light switch or plug. I have a couple of these covering the button on standard light switches.
    Just taken first plunge into HA with purchase of Amazon Echo, black Friday huh! I'm hoping to ease the family into the idea with the voice controlled music feature via spotify. Next is the lighting, I was assuming we could control the hue fitted lights via voice control? Therefore not needing to purchase switches? Am I correct?

Yes, you can use voice to control them. However I think the switches are invaluable for reliable normal use.

The light switch makes it easy or visiting family and friends, baby sitters, etc. to use them as a normal light.

Voice control is great for the techy users to do more advanced things then, like set scenes and different colours. We find we use the switches about 70% of the time and voice or app about the other 30%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Yes, I have a few of them doing that. It covers just the "button".

Perfect, I was looking for something like that for the ones where I already have the dimmer switch beside the normal one.

The light switch makes it easy or visiting family and friends, baby sitters, etc. to use them as a normal light.

My first dimmer switch went up in the attic (guest room) controlling the 2 bedside lamps, and when guests arrive, they are handed the remote, and it's a bit cool, if not a little nerdy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Absolutely, from bright daylight white, to a soft warm candle light like white and everything in between.

They do white 90% of the time in my house. On the Hue switch I've them defaulting to a standard white. People would never know there is anything unusual about them until I start showing off! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »
    Can those coloured ones do white too? I've been completely avoiding them.

The coloured ones are the best, they do everything;

White Ambiance ( warm & cold whites and everything in between)
    16 million colours

The coloured ones are the best, they do everything;

White Ambiance ( warm & cold whites and everything in between)
    16 million colours

Yup, I've given in and bought two colour e27's over the last two days to replace two white bulbs I've in two rooms. One of which was one of the new white Ambiance bulbs I had bought only a few weeks earlier!!!!!! :eek:

Yup, I've given in and bought two colour e27's over the last two days to replace two white bulbs I've in two rooms. One of which was one of the new white Ambiance bulbs I had bought only a few weeks earlier!!!!!! :eek:

I'm quite happy having white ambiance bulbs in my centre lights, their still a very good bulb, though I do have a colour bulb in the centre light in hers & my office, where really just an ambiance would do. So unless the colours go really cheap again, I might just get a few more ambiance bulbs.
    (I would like to try a ricjmher colours bulb though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Still debating to get this and looking at starter kit

Was looking at Amazon Spanish site and maplin

http://www.maplin.ie/p/philips-hue-ambiance-white-led-smart-light-bulb-starter-kit-e27-a37uy

Want to begin with starter kit and see how I progress

Is maplin good price or better going with Amazon Spanish offer. and with delivery cost what is full cost?

Still debating to get this and looking at starter kit

Was looking at Amazon Spanish site and maplin

http://www.maplin.ie/p/philips-hue-ambiance-white-led-smart-light-bulb-starter-kit-e27-a37uy

Want to begin with starter kit and see how I progress

Is maplin good price or better going with Amazon Spanish offer. and with delivery cost what is full cost?

Don't go near Maplin for Hue they are a rip off

They sell colour bulbs for €75, £50 on Amazon

That kit you linked is only about £100 on Amazon delivered to your door

Or for an extra €25 you can get a 3rd bulb, but all 3 bulbs will be full white & colour ambiance, as opposed to that one being only 2 white ambience bulbs

• Advertisement

Is there a way to make the bulbs flash different colours, or cycle through a range of colours every couple of seconds?

Or to do similar with the lightstrip 2?

Just wondering if there is an App that can set it to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Don't go near Maplin for Hue they are a rip off

They sell colour bulbs for €75, £50 on Amazon

That kit you linked is only about £100 on Amazon delivered to your door

Or for an extra €25 you can get a 3rd bulb, but all 3 bulbs will be full white & colour ambiance, as opposed to that one being only 2 white ambience bulbs

Cheers

Not really into coloured lights as not opening discotheque soon

Looking for starter kit and take it from there

Will look at Amazon and see

Is there a way to make the bulbs flash different colours, or cycle through a range of colours every couple of seconds?

Or to do similar with the lightstrip 2?

Just wondering if there is an App that can set it to do this?

Yes, an app called LightSwitch

It's free

It's awesome, it's a great way to showcase what hue can do, look out for colour flows, passing clouds and candle light, just a few of many settings, and you can set various different rooms/lights to do different things

You're Welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi I got the hub and two colour lamps just waiting on them to get to my motel.
    I got another colour and now want to get some more.

The led strip has gone back up so missed that.

Is there anywhere else I should look I'm about to buy the dimmer and white lamp on Amazon UK.

I'm quite happy having white ambiance bulbs in my centre lights, their still a very good bulb, though I do have a colour bulb in the centre light in hers & my office, where really just an ambiance would do. So unless the colours go really cheap again, I might just get a few more ambiance bulbs.
    (I would like to try a ricjmher colours bulb though)

Oh, you are absolutely correct, I'm just weak! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm toying with the idea of these as replacements for the traditional mechanical switch plate.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Screen-Switch-Crystal-Backlight/dp/B00NQU506A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480091931&sr=8-3&keywords=glass+light+switch

It may be possible with these to switch on, and then attach the Hue dimmer switch over it.
    But I believe when someone not used to the Hue setup, sees a normal switch they will use it, whereas, something different like this they may leave it alone and use the dimmer switch.

paulbok, ah yes, that is actually a really smart idea, let us know how it goes if you do try it.

paulbok wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of these as replacements for the traditional mechanical switch plate.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Screen-Switch-Crystal-Backlight/dp/B00NQU506A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480091931&sr=8-3&keywords=glass+light+switch

It may be possible with these to switch on, and then attach the Hue dimmer switch over it.
    But I believe when someone not used to the Hue setup, sees a normal switch they will use it, whereas, something different like this they may leave it alone and use the dimmer switch.

Someone posted in the other Hue thread plans for a 3D printable cover plate that goes over the traditional light switch while also having a holder in it for a hue dimmer switch.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057599019/3

Oh, you are absolutely correct, I'm just weak! :D

God help us if we ever get hacked!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

Someone posted in the other Hue thread plans for a 3D printable cover plate that goes over the traditional light switch while also having a holder in it for a hue dimmer switch.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057599019/3

/goes to Amazon flash sales to see what 3d printers are on offer.:D

Advertisement