Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Spot the difference please!

Between:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-lamp-Starter-incl-Bridge/dp/B01LZ8QYPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1480070691&sr=1-1&keywords=8718696592946

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K1WP7Z4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I can't see the difference, apart from the price and the lack of description with first link. About to pull the trigger on the Spanish site on the first link, but want to know what the difference is before I do.

On mobile so cant go into detail.
    The spanise amazon starter kit e27 is the 3rd gen, i checked the model no.
    V good price
    Delivered 130ish.
    Was a similar price for the gen2 on .de earlier in week.
    3rd hen are brighter and better colors or some malarky like that.
    In short. Buy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

robindch wrote: »
    I downloaded Huelloween last night - a delicious little app :)

Is it possible to persuade the app to output to a set of Sonos speakers? Five minutes of fiddling didn't achieve anything.

I use a bluetooth JBL speaker connected to the phone using the Hueloween app, and have the speaker upstairs in my office window frame, which is directly above my hall door.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Surely you could keep the dimmer anyway at that price, and get a light with an E27 fitting, or buy an E27-B22 adaptor?

the dimmer switch is great, so an additional bulb for a pound, I'd take it at that price all day long, problem is I already have 6 dimmer switches and don't really need any more!

or do I

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Orion wrote: »
    Need a light for my sitting room.

Looking at a Hue. Would this one suffice to light up a room?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lighting-Recessed/dp/B00TTQ3DFK/
    I wouldn't try to use one of those to light up a room - it's too small and dim. And I'm hardly alone in thinking that the frosted plastic on the light looks more like something you'd see in a toilet than a sitting room! Note that this Hue bulb doesn't give the full hue color range either - just blue-white to yellow-white. And you'll need to dig a hole in your ceiling as well to fit it - at least 90mm across and 70mm deep.

I did fit Hue E27 bulbs in a few of these pendant lamps in the dining room, but it didn't work very well and I ended up replacing the Hues with regular bulbs, and putting the spare Hues into some more of those IKEA floor-standing lamps in the room's corners instead, and it works pretty ok.

There's a photo here of the sitting room (next to the dining room) so you can see what the IKEA stuff looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bonidel

Hi All,
    I also purchased the - White and colour starter kit, Hue bridge 2.0 on Amazon.es for €119, thanks to OP for posting but I need to now convert the lamp fittings from B22 to E27. Anyone see any problem using a few of these or should I be looking to try and rewire the lamp fitting which probably won't turn out to be a runner?

http://www.ledvista.ie/replacement-retrofit-led-bulbs/light-bulb-socket-converters/b22-to-e27-socket-converter

Thanks again to the OP for posting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 10 guzzler2

Just an update....on my taxes issue with .es site, once I went in and edited the address from Irlanda to Ireland, almost 30 eur of taxes disappeared,,,got 3 of the lovelies for 101 incl delivery

Can't wait

Bonidel wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I also purchased the - White and colour starter kit, Hue bridge 2.0 on Amazon.es for €119, thanks to OP for posting but I need to now convert the lamp fittings from B22 to E27. Anyone see any problem using a few of these or should I be looking to try and rewire the lamp fitting which probably won't turn out to be a runner?

http://www.ledvista.ie/replacement-retrofit-led-bulbs/light-bulb-socket-converters/b22-to-e27-socket-converter

They seem very expensive, I used much cheaper ones bought from eBay, and 3 years later, have had no issues with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

robindch wrote: »
    I wouldn't try to use one of those to light up a room - it's too small and dim. And I'm hardly alone in thinking that the frosted plastic on the light looks more like something you'd see in a toilet than a sitting room! Note that this Hue bulb doesn't give the full hue color range either - just blue-white to yellow-white. And you'll need to dig a hole in your ceiling as well to fit it - at least 90mm across and 70mm deep.

I did fit Hue E27 bulbs in a few of these pendant lamps in the dining room, but it didn't work very well and I ended up replacing the Hues with regular bulbs, and putting the spare Hues into some more of those IKEA floor-standing lamps in the room's corners instead, and it works pretty ok.

There's a photo here of the sitting room (next to the dining room) so you can see what the IKEA stuff looks like.

Looks excellent. I'll be doing some renovations next year so I'll look at the sitting room and kitchen at that point I think.

Been looking up the Hues on Amazon and getting a little confused. I just bought two Echo Dots - one for the sitting room to connect to a sound bar and the other for the bedroom. So I think I'll just start the Hue experiment in the bedroom.
    Looking at getting this lamp for the bedside table and a bulb for the main bedroom light. I like the colour changing feature of the lamp but will probably just get a white bulb for the main light.

This is where the confusion comes in - do I actually need a bridge? If I want to voice control them with the Echo can I do it without the bridge? (I assume hub and bridge are interchangeable terms on this thread). If I can what's the benefit of the bridge?

this bulb is the one I'm looking at - I assume it's pretty standard

• Advertisement

They've been out about a year or so,

I've 1 in the attic (guest room)(set to control the 2 bedside lamps with hue white only bulbs)
    2 in the master bedroom (one on her side, 1 on mine. they both do the same thing, control both bedside lights as well as the bloom behind the TV).
    1 in the living room controlling the 2 colour bulbs in lamps there.
    1 in the kitchen controlling the 10 colour GU10's as well as the 2 light strips.

the 6th one still hasn't come out of its box yet, I'll use it on the landing when the 4 White ambiance GU10's arrive next week.

You can assign any amount of lights/scenes to a single dimmer (with a hub), without a hub you can assign up to 10 bulbs only.
    in the new app, you can set the dimmer up like the original hue push switch, meaning up to 5 presses of the on button will activate 5 different scenes (which you can set).

This is where the confusion comes in - do I actually need a bridge? If I want to voice control them with the Echo can I do it without the bridge? (I assume hub and bridge are interchangeable terms on this thread). If I can what's the benefit of the bridge?

Yes, you will need a Hue bridge. 99.99% of Hue activity is controlled by a Hue Bridge, and without it, you can only use a Hue dimmer switch to control up to 10 bulbs (but even at that, you'll only be able to dim in white only, and not have any colour available (if you have colour bulbs), as all the control goes through the bridge (which is basically the light controller).

No idea Pat .. It let me put in the order and I still have it on the screen but have not got the autoconfirm mail yet so you have me worried now ..will see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Yes, you will need a Hue bridge. 99.99% of Hue activity is controlled by a Hue Bridge, and without it, you can only use a dimmer switch to control up to 10 bulbs (but even at that, you'll only be able to dim in white only, and not have any colour available, as that all goes through the bridge (which is basically the light controller).

Grand thanks. I'll grab one so.

[edit]Actually my confusion came from the OP in this thread. When I read it I was sure it said I didn't need one - just read it again and it's quite clear that you do. My mind is playing tricks on me.

Argos have the E27 starter kits for €122 - but you cant actually buy them!!

The also have the Light Strip Plus available to order for store collection @ €57.49 which is quite cheap (still not as cheap as Amazon today though), they also have the 1m extensions @ €16.49 available to order for store collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

guzzler2 wrote: »
    Just an update....on my taxes issue with .es site, once I went in and edited the address from Irlanda to Ireland, almost 30 eur of taxes disappeared,,,got 3 of the lovelies for 101 incl delivery

Can't wait

How did you do that? I got IVA on my purchase and don't seem to be able to amend my address as you did, i.e. Ireland is not in the dropdown of Countries available. Is there no IVA on your email receipt? The total price was as per listing prices, it just included the IVA as a separate item.

Thanks.

Well I started the whole checkout process and then edited the address and when I got to the last screen no taxes at all just approx 8eur shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Hi All,

Ikea have a pack of two of those for €1.95

• Advertisement

guzzler2 wrote: »
    Well I started the whole checkout process and then edited the address and when I got to the last screen no taxes at all just approx 8eur shipping

Does you email have IVA on it? Mine has, but I paid the list price in total, i.e. the total was as expected. Just wondering, happy enough with my purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Argos have the E27 starter kits for €122 - but you cant actually buy them!!

The also have the Light Strip Plus available to order for store collection @ €57.49 which is quite cheap (still not as cheap as Amazon today though), they also have the 1m extensions @ €16.49 available to order for store collection.

This isn't the first time they've done that, they did it a couple of weeks back when they had zero stock. They drop the price by 100 or so. Pure lies, bunch of shams. :mad:

lafors wrote: »
    This isn't the first time they've done that, they did it a couple of weeks back when they had zero stock. They drop the price by 100 or so. Pure lies, bunch of shams. :mad:

I did manage to get 2 white ambiance bulbs from them at that time for €22 each,

although I ordered E27's I actually got B22's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

White and colour starter kit, Hue bridge 2.0 on Amazon.es for €119

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01LZ8QYPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

It doesn't say 2.0 but pretty sure it's the latest stuff.

Lightstrip 40% off on UK site:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0148NMVQA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Well i just stumbled across this thread and after reading it , i now i want to get some of these.

Is the above starter kit all i need to get started?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

This is where the confusion comes in - do I actually need a bridge?
    Yes, I believe the Hue system needs a bridge if you want to do anything more than just turn the bulbs on and off with a mains light switch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bonidel

For anyone with looking to converter existing lamp fittings from BC22 to ES27 then these seem to be a reasonable price option - I've bought them but haven't actually tried them out yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LONGYEE-Bayonet-Converter-Extender-220-240V/dp/B01M1FS069/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1480077919&sr=1-1&keywords=BC+Cap+B22+To+E27+ES

For anyone with looking to converter existing lamp fittings from BC22 to ES27 then these seem to be a reasonable price option - I've bought them but haven't actually tried them out yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LONGYEE-Bayonet-Converter-Extender-220-240V/dp/B01M1FS069/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1480077919&sr=1-1&keywords=BC+Cap+B22+To+E27+ES

I've been using them (as well as E27-E14) for over 3 years and they work fine.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Well i just stumbled across this thread and after reading it , i now i want to get some of these.

Is the above starter kit all i need to get started?

Yes, I'm a newbie and have selected the above as the starter kit.

I also got a couple of these too: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0148NMVX8/ref=pe_386191_41384461_TE_item

With Hue the lights must always be on, so if replacing existing lights, you'd need to wire them as permanently on at the switch and blank the switch so people don't "turn them off". These switches allow you to control them like traditional lights, i.e. turn on/off and dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Yes, I'm a newbie and have selected the above as the starter kit.

I also got a couple of these too: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0148NMVX8/ref=pe_386191_41384461_TE_item

With Hue the lights must always be on, so if replacing existing lights, you'd need to wire them as permanently on at the switch and blank the switch so people don't "turn them off". These switches allow you to control them like traditional lights, i.e. turn on/off and dim.

Cool,
    I've ordered the starter kit above I think,
    I don't speak Spanish but looks like it went through.
    I'll worry about the switches later.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

Just leave everything as normal, and in time people will stop turning off the light switches,

You actually want to have your original light switches anyway so you can just use the bulbs like regular bulbs (if/when you don't have phone in hand, or a hue dimmer/sensor) as its a pain in the ass walking around a house entirely populated by hue bulbs, and having to have your phone with you all the time!!

usually anyway the only lights in rooms with wall switches are the centre lights.

Advertisement