Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

For the last 3 years I've been mainly using the original hue app, but have just this week started using the newer hue app as the primary app for timers/routines etc.. and I have to say I should have probably moved over sooner.

As mentioned above, the hmain ue apps would be about 99% of my usage, with the other 1% being On Switch, and just yesterday I started using Ambee which looks quite good for slow dynamic scenes (though I'd only probably use this in the kitchen where I have 2 light strips and 10 colour GU10's to get the full effect of some of the scenes).

Huelloween is very good, but it's only once a year but worth it, and I also have the Christmas app from the same developer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Do all Zigbee work with HUE?

Did a bit more looking on the hub and pulled out a bit of info from the motion sensor.

You have ZLLTemperature, for you guessed it, temperature.
    ZLLPresence for motion.
    ZLLLightLevel for ambient light levels.

The ZLL here is Zigbee Light Link, which as far as I know is secure. So I guess you'd have to be partnered in some way with Philips. Again I could be wrong and I am sure it can be hacked in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Cheapo wrote: »

I think that's the older gen1? I'm not sure if there is much difference between this and the newer ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

TheTubes wrote: »
    Cheapo wrote: »

I think that's the older gen1? I'm not sure if there is much difference between this and the newer ones?
    It says that it is the "Light Strip Plus" so hopefully thats the case as Ive just ordered two:)

• Advertisement

These lads are the newer ones alright, the Lightstrip +
    The difference is the new lads are twice as bright as the old ones. Think there's more accurate greens and blues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I was mistaken on the lightstrip allright, im used to looking at them on the .de site and they use the + symbol instead of the word plus. im easily fooled! Got a few earlier in the week at a similar price (shipping extra though)

Had hoped something with a hub would come up on offer.

I really can't see the usefulness of the Hue Go? Am i missing something? I never find myself at home saying "I wish i had a light i could carry around with me" :/

Edit: The extensions are down from 20 to 14gbp. thats pretty good too...

I was mistaken on the lightstrip allright, im used to looking at them on the .de site and they use the + symbol instead of the word plus. im easily fooled! Got a few earlier in the week at a similar price (shipping extra though)

Had hoped something with a hub would come up on offer.

I really can't see the usefulness of the Hue Go? Am i missing something? I never find myself at home saying "I wish i had a light i could carry around with me" :/

Edit: The extensions are down from 20 to 14gbp. thats pretty good too...

Going to use it to paint light on one wall in particular and as a night light for the bundle of joy on the way. The fact that it's got a battery back up is just a bonus. If nothing else it'll be handy in a powercut (relatively often here).

Geek overload time.

ztSyBOG.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

My camel alerts for Amazon went off this morning, wireless dimming kits, lightstrips and extensions all 30% off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

worth noting that the dimmer kit is down to £21 (dimmer switch & E27 White only bulb),

the dimmer switch alone is £19.99, so with the above, your effectively getting a White only bulb for £1.01

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Do you already have hue products and are your questions aimed at deciding on the echo?

If so Echo works the same as Siri(for iPhones) so you could test the functionality here. As BK said it works in conjunction with your hue set up so using Siri simply say "turn on sitting room light" and Siri does the rest.

Hey, no I don't have any Hue products yet, but am looking to buy into the ecosystem.

I would be more interested in Home than echo, simply because I have a lot of google related products (nest thermostats, protect etc. plus use google software exclusively - android tv, android phone etc.)

Does anyone know if Philips have announced any plans to extend their range of bulbs... I have a few light fixtures in the house that take those little push in bulbs, think they are called G9s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

White and colour starter kit, Hue bridge 2.0 on Amazon.es for €119

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01LZ8QYPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

It doesn't say 2.0 but pretty sure it's the latest stuff.

Lightstrip 40% off on UK site:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0148NMVQA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

White and colour starter kit, Hue bridge 2.0 on Amazon.es for €119

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01LZ8QYPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

It doesn't say 2.0 but pretty sure it's the latest stuff.

Lightstrip 40% off on UK site:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0148NMVQA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Any issues with ordering from amazon.es, haven't done it before.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Philips have announced any plans to extend their range of bulbs... I have a few light fixtures in the house that take those little push in bulbs, think they are called G9s?

I would doubt they would make Hue bulbs that small!! The wireless kit in them adds considerable size to bulbs, so unless they can miniaturise the tech it won't be anytime soon

Just have a look at how much bigger the Hue GU10 bulbs are compared to normal GU10's (The Hue bulb is the one on the right)

Philips_HUE_GU10_1.jpg

davo2001 wrote: »
    Any issues with ordering from amazon.es, haven't done it before.

I haven't either, have not pulled the trigger. I have got all the way to checkout and all seems fine, can't imagine there would be an issue. €130 including delivery, so still quite a bit cheaper than the UK/DE sites.

I haven't either, have not pulled the trigger. I have got all the way to checkout and all seems fine, can't imagine there would be an issue. €130 including delivery, so still quite a bit cheaper than the UK/DE sites.

Bare in mind that is E27, are there any B22 starter kits available do you know?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Bare in mind that is E27, are there any B22 starter kits available do you know?

Thankss, yes, I'm actually buying for E14 fittings so will either have to change the fitting or buy an adapter. Anyone with any knowledge of a reliable adapter for E14 to E27, or how to re-wire E14 to E27??

• Advertisement

I would doubt they would make Hue bulbs that small!! The wireless kit in them adds considerable size to bulbs, so unless they can miniaturise the tech it won't be anytime soon

Just have a look at how much bigger the Hue GU10 bulbs are compared to normal GU10's (The Hue bulb is the one on the right)

Yikes, that is considerably bigger alright... makes me wonder if these (GU10s) will work in ceiling - I have GU10s in the hall, porch, bathrooms and kitchen. Probably about 26 in total. Some are flush to the ceiling (i.e. pushed up through ceiling) and some are on the ceiling in a case/surround
    e.g.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVZwVl1l-7lNPfH292K63qY-PI8fWOk-cREYhmcoExFtkS41xY

Does the size not mean that they stick out cosniderably more, especially on ceiling insets? or is it just that the back takes up more space "behind the ceiling"

Yikes, that is considerably bigger alright... makes me wonder if these (GU10s) will work in ceiling - I have GU10s in the hall, porch, bathrooms and kitchen. Probably about 26 in total. Some are flush to the ceiling (i.e. pushed up through ceiling) and some are on the ceiling in a case/surround
    e.g.

Does the size not mean that they stick out cosniderably more, especially on ceiling insets? or is it just that the back takes up more space "behind the ceiling"

Depends on the fitting. Mine are spring loaded to accommodate different length bulbs. Have a poke about, carefully :)

It all depends on what type of fitting you have, in my case, it's not a top hat type, and the only limit is the space in your ceiling.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101525958&postcount=245

Bit the bullet and bought 2 B22 bulbs from amazon.es for €70 all inclusive.

Will wait for a deal on the B22 starter pack and if it doesnt happen then I'll just buy it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Need a light for my sitting room. The chandelier has lost power - was flaky for a while and has now died.

Looking at a Hue. Would this one suffice to light up a room?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lighting-Recessed/dp/B00TTQ3DFK/

Is this suitable to leave the original chandelier just sitting there and use one or two of these? I notice it says recessed - I assume that just means it's recessed in it's own frame and I don't need to recess it in the ceiling? Do you know how it attaches to the ceiling?

Spot the difference please!

Between:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-lamp-Starter-incl-Bridge/dp/B01LZ8QYPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1480070691&sr=1-1&keywords=8718696592946

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K1WP7Z4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I can't see the difference, apart from the price and the lack of description with first link. About to pull the trigger on the Spanish site on the first link, but want to know what the difference is before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 guzzler2

Same here. Was just about to buy but also it is throwing up taxes of 27eur for 3 of them,,why does anyone know?

Thanks and loving this chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Huelloween is very good, but it's only once a year but worth it, and I also have the Christmas app from the same developer.
    I downloaded Huelloween last night - a delicious little app :)

Is it possible to persuade the app to output to a set of Sonos speakers? Five minutes of fiddling didn't achieve anything.

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    Need a light for my sitting room. The chandelier has lost power - was flaky for a while and has now died.

Looking at a Hue. Would this one suffice to light up a room?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lighting-Recessed/dp/B00TTQ3DFK/

Is this suitable to leave the original chandelier just sitting there and use one or two of these? I notice it says recessed - I assume that just means it's recessed in it's own frame and I don't need to recess it in the ceiling? Do you know how it attaches to the ceiling?

This is just a spot light (no bigger than a GU10), and probably wouldn't be enough for a room.

It would need to be recessed into the ceiling.

Advertisement