Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ghost in the Shell-Live Action 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sunday is way too far away right now :)

I've only seen the movie but Grace seems to have gone out and watched/read a bunch of the rest of the material.

She gives a lot of information here.

This probably contains spoilers but won't know till the film comes out:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I hate this new trailer of a trailer bull crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have watched the first 2 movies and I have the first dvd of the standalone complex so I know some of the story so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Dialogue a little clunky but it looks amazing. Looking forward to this now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Rupert Sanders…

OH WOW

OH WOW

OHHHHHH WOW!

I must say... fellows... I do feel a tad excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Slydice wrote: »
    OH WOW

OH WOW

OHHHHHH WOW!

I must say... fellows... I do feel a tad excited :)

I'm very skeptical of that trailer. It looks very Hollywood slick and that usually isn't a good thing.

I hope they don't mess this up. Steer clear from the dialog from the second one also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

First two minutes of the film

• Advertisement

Ok, it's gonna take an absolutely crap story to make these special effects alone not be worth a trip to the cinema... and I doubt it's gonna be a crap story

The HYPE train is building! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Looks good. I must dig out the old manga and refresh my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

So I have heard of Ghost in the Shell before but never looked it up so unlike other people I have nothing to compare it to.
    After watching that trailer though I'm looking forward to this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,120 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks great, though for some reason I find the casting of SJ a bit jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

If the best they can manage is scene for scene recreations of the original anime (even down to the use of the original music for the shelling sequence), it doesn't say much for the creativity behind the project.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Watched GITS (1995) last night, I'm sure it was revolutionary at the time (4 years before the Matrix!) but has been copied a lot since (Deus Ex springs to mind, I Robot etc) so it's full impact is lost on me. I imagine this was mind-blowing in the mid-90s. There's a lot of philosophy and the essence of being etc which is interesting and engaging but a bit clunky/on the nose viewing with 2016 eyes - the cyberpunk/gritty detective thriller is absolutely ripe for a remake/update with modern writing. Looking forward to this new film!

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looks great, though for some reason I find the casting of SJ a bit jarring.

I dunno - I feel like she's proven that she can handle this kind of movie - BlackWidow and Lucy. Even Under the Skin. So she has the skill and can pull off action/odd.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,120 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nothing to do with acting ability, I really like her as an actress but something feels a bit off that I can't quite put my finger on. Have they tried to make her look slightly asian or something? I dunno, maybe it's because I have the original in my head too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It looks incredibly similar to the original - some scenes seem pretty much verbatim - but what is there appears to lack some of the grace afforded by animation. A lot of the settings and characters worked thanks to the inherent remove of animation, but the trailer suggests they could just become a CG eyesore in live action. The lack of an established director is also worth a note of caution.

On the plus side: Kitano.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

On the plus side: Kitano.

This...great to see alright

• Advertisement

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nothing to do with acting ability, I really like her as an actress but something feels a bit off that I can't quite put my finger on. Have they tried to make her look slightly asian or something? I dunno, maybe it's because I have the original in my head too much.

It could be that I don't really have a personal attachment to the original that I just didn't spot any issues. Definitely didn't notice anything about her being slightly asian. I'll rewatch when I can and see. It wouldn't make sense to make her look slightly anything, given that the character in the source does look white regardless.

It could be that I don't really have a personal attachment to the original that I just didn't spot any issues. Definitely didn't notice anything about her being slightly asian. I'll rewatch when I can and see. It wouldn't make sense to make her look slightly anything, given that the character in the source does look white regardless.

Pretty sure the characters are mostly Japanese in the original anime, that doesn't mean it matters whether they're Japanese in this of course. From looking at it again I think it's just her hair do that's throwing me :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the visuals are definitely striking, but what dialogue is there sounds incredibly clunky; I'd worry that this will be a film where everyone talks in grave tones or their remarks are laden with on-the-nose references to the themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I rewatched the anime again last night , I am ridiculously excited for the live action version and I think Scarlett will be awesome in the role

First two minutes of the film
    Someone made a shot by shot comparison:
    [NSFW - Cartoon Bewbs! :)]

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New International Trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still looking very pretty!

Completely off-topic, but the above trailer reminded me of a seemingly new trend in marketing, where the first 5 seconds of trailers is ... an intro, to the trailer you're about to watch. It's really bizarre, and i don't get the point of it at all.

Superbowl Spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

pixelburp wrote: »

Completely off-topic, but the above trailer reminded me of a seemingly new trend in marketing, where the first 5 seconds of trailers is ... an intro, to the trailer you're about to watch. It's really bizarre, and i don't get the point of it at all.

It's odd, along with the trend of trailers for trailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

pixelburp wrote: »

This is to stop people skipping the trailer if it appears as an advert. Usually there's a countdown to when you can skip it, around 5 seconds or so. If they can pique your interest in those 5 seconds you might just stick around to watch the full thing. So they just cram the best bits into it to entice you to stick around.

Advertisement