Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stouts for Xmas

• 04-11-2016 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions of some stouts to try over the xmas period, I will have some family and friends over and want to try some different types. So far I have Jet Black Heart (Brewdog) and Leann Folláin (O'Hara's) so far but looking for a couple more.

Sorry for mentioning xmas so early.

Thanks,

JD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Siren -Carribean Chocolate Cake
    Magic Rock - Common Grounds
    O'Haras - Imperial Stout
    Brewdog - Hinterland
    Beavertown - 'Spresso

Are a few of my favorites this year and should be easy enough to source.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Founders Breakfast Stout / Founders KBS
    Galway Bay - Buried at sea

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Thanks folks will keep an eye out for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Brehon Oatmeal stout is very good. Galway bays Stormy Port is another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No Joe - O Brother Brewing
    KBS - Founders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A few not mentioned yet:

Galway Hooker Stout
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    Founders Imperial Stout
    Williams Bros March of the Penguins
    Trouble Brewing Dark Arts (I know it's a porter rather than a stout, but it definitely deserves a mention).

Of those listed on this thread, KBS is imo the best beer of any kind money can buy. The only problem is that it's a limited production run, so finding some might be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Porterhouse celeberation stout

and a tucked away 200 fathoms :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

Zaph wrote: »

Of those listed on this thread, KBS is imo the best beer of any kind money can buy. The only problem is that it's a limited production run, so finding some might be tricky.

Have you tried

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/omnipollo--buxton-yellow-belly-peanut-butter-biscuit-stout/280975/

I love KBS but I think this would nudge in ahead of it.

Probably too rare for the OP's plans but your guests would love you for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭jh79

Just bought a bottle of Independent Extra Stout. Hopefully it is as good as Kinnegar Cup and Saucer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

limnam wrote: »
    Have you tried

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/omnipollo--buxton-yellow-belly-peanut-butter-biscuit-stout/280975/

I love KBS but I think this would nudge in ahead of it.

Probably too rare for the OP's plans but your guests would love you for it

Haven't tried that, but I don't think my peanut allergy would thank me for it :D

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Haven't tried that, but I don't think my peanut allergy would thank me for it :D

There's no nuts, butter or biscuit in it, but tastes of all 3. It's magic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Are we almost at dungarven coffee and oatmeal time? Always a treat at this time of year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's definitely Stout season again, anyone got some info on where to find some nice imperials?
    There's slim pickings around Tallaght but I'm happy to drive and pick up a few bottles. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Lacks world's end anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's definitely Stout season again, anyone got some info on where to find some nice imperials?
    There's slim pickings around Tallaght but I'm happy to drive and pick up a few bottles. :)

A small drive but probably the best on your side Redmonds of Ranelagh

You can order from places like drinkstore.ie they have a shop in stoney batter with excellent selections

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

crkball6 wrote: »
    A small drive but probably the best on your side Redmonds of Ranelagh

You can order from places like drinkstore.ie they have a shop in stoney batter with excellent selections

Nice one, my girlfriend does a yoga class in Ranelagh so that gives me and excuse to head that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions of some stouts to try over the xmas period, I will have some family and friends over and want to try some different types. So far I have Jet Black Heart (Brewdog) and Leann Folláin (O'Hara's) so far but looking for a couple more.

Sorry for mentioning xmas so early.

Thanks,

JD

Not too early in my world...not stout but put aside a dungarvan 'gallows hill' last week for xmas consumption.as said, not a stout, barley wine, packs a punch, full of raisin, toffee flavour and perfect for nursing during festivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭laros

Blacks have just bottled this years "World's End" so should be in the shops soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

Just some of the beers released this christmas. Seen it on facebook and saved the image :cool:

• Advertisement

xbox gamer wrote: »
    Just some of the beers released this christmas. Seen it on facebook and saved the image :cool:

There maybe more up date's ;)

xbox gamer wrote: »

There maybe more up date's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

laros wrote: »
    Blacks have just bottled this years "World's End" so should be in the shops soon...

Brilliant. Will stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Thread resurrection...is it too early to start putting stout away for xmas. I just picked up a bottle of 200 fathoms and have a bottle of imperial stout by Boyne. Wondering if they should be drank now or wait.

Also would regular stouts benefit from ageing I.e. brehons ulster oatmeal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Don't forget a few bottles of Guiness extra. 5 for a tenner in my local offi ain't to e sneezed at for a pretty damn tasty extra stout especially if you want one more beer but not an expensive one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Thread resurrection...is it too early to start putting stout away for xmas. I just picked up a bottle of 200 fathoms and have a bottle of imperial stout by Boyne. Wondering if they should be drank now or wait.

Also would regular stouts benefit from ageing I.e. brehons ulster oatmeal

Anyone got a price for the 200 fathoms in the actual GBB pubs. Seems about 8.50 in offie?

Lovely stuff. Anyone know if they made more this year?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they made more this year?
    It's only released once a year, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's only released once a year, AFAIK.

I know that. It ran out pretty quick last year. Was wondering if they had made a bigger batch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

A couple of years ago I picked up a bottle of whiskey barrel aged Leann Follain, lovely stuff. Couldn't get one last year for love nor money :(

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Advertisement

I'll be having 2015 200 fathoms, interested to see how it is after a couple of years

Advertisement