Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stouts for Xmas

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've started drinking rather than buying my stouts and porters. Last night I had the Scaldy Porter from whiplash (excellent) and four provinces (Pretty good but nothing exceptional really).

Have a few of the 3fe/Whiplash collab for later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have a few of the 3fe/Whiplash collab for later on.

Oh man, you are in for a treat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

mccard wrote: »
    Oh man, you are in for a treat.

It's good alright, very heavy coffee flavour but for me one was enough. Still have a few more stored away to have over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I ordered six initially, and ended up having them all over the weekend they arrived.

Effects wrote: »
    I picked up the new Leann Follain in Molloys earlier.

My local shop finally had this.

How much is it going for?, this place is god awful for not having prices on non-routine beers.

I went for the 375ml(?) And it was around e6.50.

Anyone know the prices for the two?.

Will open it in a while.

Mine was around €8 for the 375ml in O'briens.

How much is it going for?, this place is god awful for not having prices on non-routine beers.

Molloys was €15 for the large bottle, and €8 for the small one. As far as I can remember.

I wasn't blown away by it to be honest. I still have two large bottles left.
    I think 200 Fathoms is a lot better. I was lucky enough to get about 10 bottles of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I went for the 375ml(?) And it was around e6.50.

Anyone know the prices for the two?.

Will open it in a while.

6.50 for 375ml of the series 9 Leann Follain aged stout.

I see its limited to 4,200 bottles.

The 75cl was 12.95.

Pricey, I hope it's good, leaving it until Xmas.

My local shop seems to be cheaper so. I think it was somewhere close to e6.50.

Its Joyce's in Galway incase anyone is interested.

They misprice beers like this at times. A few months back they were selling the bottles of Left Hand Nitro for e2.50 and cans for less than e3(same story, I had to price them at the counter).

I cleaned them out of their stocks of that the two times it was lower than average. I still have a few bottles left(I think I had 50 bottles/cans initially) as I only have one or two a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My local shop seems to be cheaper so. I think it was somewhere close to e6.50.

Its Joyce's in Galway incase anyone is interested.

They misprice beers like this at times. A few months back they were selling the bottles of Left Hand Nitro for e2.50 and cans for less than e3(same story, I had to price them at the counter).

I visited the Dougiska and Ballybane shops - not great.

Is the beer collection still good in Fr. Griffin Road since Joyce's took over?

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    I visited the Dougiska and Ballybane shops - not great.

Is the beer collection still good in Fr. Griffin Road since Joyce's took over?

Father Griffin is the only one I use and the above refers to there.

Anything that's irregular is usually not priced and you need to bring them to the till.

But it worked out with the Left Hand as I cleared them out.

But the general selection would likely be better than what was there under SV to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

That time of year again. Let's hear your recommendations.

TIA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The stout that has impressed me most this year is the Brewmaster Nitro Imperial. Brehon's Oak & Mirrors is also excellent. O'Hara's Leann Folláin, McGargles Sean's Export and Porterhouse XXXX continue to exist.

Wicklow Wolf have a new stout coming out, aged in Drumshanbo barrels. Looking forward to trying that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The Brewmaster Imperial nitro and the O Haras nitro were welcome additions this year.

Both readily available. Left hand nitro too.

As others have said, Leann Follain, Porterhouse xxxx, Lidls own brand stout is good too.

I ordered these recently, and am looking forward to tucking into them over Christmas, along with a few more i get in the local offie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shout out for any of the Lineman Stouts too. I really like Slow Burner by St Mels, even if I struggle to pick it up other than ordering direct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Guinness West Indies porter for me. Really nice and half the price of many of the craft brewer offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A non-barrel-aged craft stout does not cost twice as much as West Indies Porter. In my local Dunnes, Leann Follain is cheaper.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Recommend Kinnegar's Winterland vanilla coffee milk stout.

Very nicely balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And McGargles Export Stout currently 2.50 around the supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ordered this today. Wicklow Wolf Stouts are usually bang on and Drumshambo is one of my favourite whiskies from last year - pure Golden Cake smell off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Whiplash's Fatal Deviation is back on Craft Central.

The brewery themselves are promising their Christmas beers to drop tomorrow.

Their socials are teasing a barrel aged beer, which Untappd would suggest is the Melody Noir from last winter (which I did not recall being a huge fan of at the time, maybe the barrel will help). I didn't pick up their barrel aged effort of last year due to 1) its cost and 2) the fact I had a bunch of BAs stored away as it was. This year my stash is looking a little thin so I might take them up this year.

Looking back over this thread - I wish they want back to the 3FE collab from last year. Super stuff.

Galway Bay socials show a three year BA stout (13.8%) and a 2 year rum BA wee heavy landing at off licenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Yeah the 3FE collaboration was gorgeous for sure!

Pickup up a bottle each of Counting Off the Days and We Still Got It stouts from Galway Bay. Not cheap, at €15 a pop, but close to 14% each. Good for the Christmas stash.

Advertisement