Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Options
  • 08-11-2016 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Do you prefer Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

I've always preferred Christmas Eve. The build up is the best part for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Christmas Day is an anticlimax

Christmas Eve much more fun and magical

Christmas Day, in the evening. More peaceful, no one stressed out or worried about it all going well or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Christmas Eve. Every year a few of us meet up in town and have a few drinks. There's such a buzz around. Christmas day is a bit of an anti-climax in comparison unless, I'd imagine, you have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I have to work an eight hour shift on Christmas Eve every year so definitely Christmas Day for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Christmas Eve definitely. I enjoy New Year's Day better than Christmas Day. It's more relaxed with pretty much the same meal as Christmas Day dinner. I also love the feeling of Easter Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Christmas Eve. Every year a few of us meet up in town and have a few drinks. There's such a buzz around. Christmas day is a bit of an anti-climax in comparison unless, I'd imagine, you have kids.

Even with kids I find Christmas Eve more magical. Yes there is great excitement to see what Santa brought but that's over with very quickly.

sugarman wrote: »
    Christmas eve without a doubt.

Finish work on the 23rd and usually leave all the shopping till the morning of the 24th. Get in and out of town by 10am.

Go home relax/nap... watch Die Hard or someother Xmas movies before getting a feed in.

Then off down to the local to meet friends, many of which woudlnt have seen since the previous xmas! Great catch up every year.

Xmas day is slow and boring, usually wake up a bit worse for wear... exchange presents, watch a bit of Christmas tv tucking into a selection box before crawling back into bed until dinner time / when relatives arrives.

Die Hard is a cracking film to watch on Christmas Eve!

You get all your shopping done by 10am on Christmas Eve? I'd love to get all mine done as quickly as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Its obvious that everyone in this thread has butterflies reading through it lol
    I love Christmas day as I dont find it as anti climatic as I used to when I was a child. I'm 23 now and Mum and Dad said that I used to get very down after the presents were opened. Also get to look forward to the football in the coming days.
    Christmas Eve is the most magical day of the year tbh when it comes to atmosphere.

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Its obvious that everyone in this thread has butterflies reading through it lol
    I love Christmas day as I dont find it as anti climatic as I used to when I was a child. I'm 23 now and Mum and Dad said that I used to get very down after the presents were opened. Also get to look forward to the football in the coming days.
    Christmas Eve is the most magical day of the year tbh when it comes to atmosphere.

I still find opening the last present of Christmas a bit depressing. After all the anticipation and excitement of giving and receiving presents it's all over for another year once that last present has been opened. Unlike when you are a child you don't have a load of new toys etc. to play with the rest of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

SteJer wrote:
    I still find opening the last present of Christmas a bit depressing. After all the anticipation and excitement of giving and receiving presents it's all over for another year once that last present has been opened. Unlike when you are a child you don't have a load of new toys etc. to play with the rest of the day!

That is true. Another thing I find has changed is I'm usually more excited to see the reactions of the family opening their gift than what I got myself. Not being big headed but I'm awesome at buying gifts ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Firstly defo Christmas eve.

I think its an age/family situation thing. I would love the christmas eve's in the earlier posts, shopping done by 10am, hit the bed, watch die hard etc. So bloody envious. Most Christmas Eve's I am first off already hungover as I meet my pals the 23rd. Secondly acting a chauffeur to the OH and entertainer to the kids in the house. My OH refuse to spend Christmas day anywhere but Limerick (bearing in mind its over 6,000km from where we live). So Christmas eve I am usually driving down from Dublin.

Christmas Day, if in dublin is spent driving around family, where as in Limerick I can chill out more.Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There is a particular feeling associated with Christmas Eve that I can't fully describe....I suppose it's anticipation.....but there is a certain magic with Christmas Eve that is unlike any other day in the year.....I love it!

Waking up and putting on Joe Duffy live from Grafton Street on Radio 1, and listening to everyone sending Christmas wishes to their families across the miles and the festive music etc....it makes me feel emotional!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Christmas eve for me. Finally get to relax, kids get to open their presents, the first big family meal of the season. Just something special about that evening. It's all a bit anti-climatical after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Christmas Eve is the day I love more! I always meet friends from college on the 23rd (been doing it every year since 1997 so hope it make it 20 years in a row next month) and would wake up with a belter of a hangover on the 24th. Christmas Eve would then consist of nursing a hangover and bravely struggling through until the evening when I'd have a nice meal and then tuck into the snacks.
    Now I have two kids so I have to take it (relatively) easy on the 23rd so I can enjoy the 24th. We always have the inlaws over that evening so it's a nice time. There used to be an in-law extended family Kris Kindle on Christmas Eve but it's now moved to the Sunday before Christmas and that frees up a bit of the day and makes it a bit more relaxed as well.
    Can't wait for this year with the girls a year older and the excitement!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I prefer Christmas Day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I love from about 4pm on Christmas Eve right through Christmas Day once the rush is over & shopping is done and it's like 'relax'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Christmas Eve definitely as I LOVE the build up.. Nipping into town for a baileys on ice with my sisters and dossing about town getting last few bits. We were always allowed open one present on Christmas eve, usually the one from parents with new pjs! LOVE new pjs for Christmas! (I'm 31! been a tradition in our house since forever!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I like both! I love the anticipation of Christmas Eve, doing all the cooking and prep, relaxing in the evening. It's even more exciting now with a little one in the house! But I equally love Christmas Day - presents, seeing what Santy has brought, mass, G&T before dinner, nice, leisurely dinner, and then relaxing in front of the telly later on with my tin of Roses. I love it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭AG123

Christmas Eve for me, although I love both days! There is such a lovely buzz about and great excitement. Over the last few years, the family go to the local with a few of the neighbours and there is a great atmosphere. It's very different to your ordinary night in the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

100% Christmas Eve.
    Ever since I was a child, always loved it. There was something special about it and still, to this day I remember waking up on Christmas Eve with such an anticipation, feeling so good and just looking forward to the whole thing.
    Also, there's something magical about going to bed on Christmas Eve.

It's definitely about the build up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

jester77 wrote: »
    Christmas eve for me. Finally get to relax, kids get to open their presents, the first big family meal of the season. Just something special about that evening. It's all a bit anti-climatical after that.

:eek: :confused: :mad:

MadDog76 wrote: »
    :eek: :confused: :mad:

That's the tradition here, the Bescherung is always on Christmas eve, I prefer it actually as there is a nice build up during the day towards it. And then Christmas day is much more relaxed and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I am another vote for Christmas Eve.

It's my favourite day of the year. I think it is just magical.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas Day too, but I think that sense of anticipation that you tend to feel on Christmas Eve is just so magical.

I am usually great at having all the shopping done in advance, but I still go to the City Centre (usually working for a couple of hours anyway) and have breakfast with work colleagues, a ramble around Grafton Street (it's great being part of the buzz without being stressed queuing up or looking for last minute gifts). Then my other half an I have treat ourselves to a nice festive lunch somewhere, a couple of drinks and home to prepare for the next day - visit family, I still tend to go to Christmas Eve mass more so out of tradition than anything else, but I do enjoy it. Then we go to my parents house for finger food, board games, etc.

It's a busy day but busy in a good way... love it!!!

That's the tradition here, the Bescherung is always on Christmas eve, I prefer it actually as there is a nice build up during the day towards it. And then Christmas day is much more relaxed and enjoyable.

No ........ no no no ............ the kids go to bed, Santa comes down the chimney, the kids wake up and run down stairs, all excited, to see what they got ........ anything else is sacrilege!

No ........ no no no ............ the kids go to bed, Santa comes down the chimney, the kids wake up and run down stairs, all excited, to see what they got ........ anything else is sacrilege!

Here, Santa will come to the door, come in, talk and play with the kids, ask them if they were naughty or nice and hand out the presents.

Here, Santa will come to the door, come in, talk and play with the kids, ask them if they were naughty or nice and hand out the presents.

It just gets worse!!!! :mad:

Please, no more ............. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is how I remember it and what I'll be teaching my kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

No need to bash other customs. Different places have different traditions, just because it doesn't match what you believe or have learned doesn't mean that it is wrong! :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

mcgiggles wrote: »
    No need to bash other customs. Different places have different traditions, just because it doesn't match what you believe or have learned doesn't mean that it is wrong! :-)

Very true all traditions have personal meanings to everyone.

• Advertisement

mcgiggles wrote: »

This is Ireland, anybody who disagrees with how we do things is wrong ......... obviously!!! :D

Advertisement