Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

MadDog76;101620553
    mcgiggles wrote: »
    No need to bash other customs. Different places have different traditions, just because it doesn't match what you believe or have learned doesn't mean that it is wrong! :-)

This is Ireland, anybody who disagrees with how we do things is wrong ......... obviously!!! :D
    :D:D:D:)
    I must say the first time my Polish friend told me they have their Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and I think she said its usually Fish I was like WHAAAAAAAT? So when do you have your turkey? :D But then I started googling customs and there are so many different ones all over Europe! :) Its an interesting read if anyone is arsed looking it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

mcgiggles wrote: »
    :D:D:D:)
    I must say the first time my Polish friend told me they have their Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and I think she said its usually Fish I was like WHAAAAAAAT? So when do you have your turkey? :D But then I started googling customs and there are so many different ones all over Europe! :) Its an interesting read if anyone is arsed looking it up :)

I went out with a Polish girl for 3 years ......... I'm still getting over the trauma of having three Christmas' ruined ......... we were never gonna work!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Christmas day for me... It's my birthday, and this one especially as it's the first one I get to spend together with my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Christmas Day for me as I work crazy hours up to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is my day off. Christmas Eve is one of our busiest days :( It's the first time in years I'm actually here in Ireland for Christmas :) So I'm getting to see and feel the build up to and after Christmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Always christmas eve for me it definitly us all about family and tradition and since we've made it a point to stop rushing around visiting relative (which we do the day before christmas eve ) so we love christmas eve here !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Always christmas eve for me it definitly us all about family and tradition and since we've made it a point to stop rushing around visiting relative (which we do the day before christmas eve ) so we love christmas eve here !!

That's a very good idea - it's nice to go out for a little while on Christmas Eve and soak up some of the atmosphere but then to come home and enjoy the afternoon/evening just relaxing with family - not rushing around and visiting people and before you know it it's like 9pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

leahyl wrote: »
    That's a very good idea - it's nice to go out for a little while on Christmas Eve and soak up some of the atmosphere but then to come home and enjoy the afternoon/evening just relaxing with family - not rushing around and visiting people and before you know it it's like 9pm!

It was a total game changer decision leahyl ! Best decision we ever made. The whole family is much more relaxed and it really makes a big difference to our Christmas. No more rushing around and panicking. We used to always visit family christmas eve and always ran late poor mini glitz being dragged from house to house sleeping in the car on the way home. Missed santa leave on the news no quality family time with us (his parents) . Now we just relax and spend the day together as a family making christmas memories with our little traditions :) and always get to watch santa leave on the new :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It used to be Christmas Day as a child but going to mass was always really annoying! Then we changed mass to Christmas Eve and we enjoyed Christmas Day a lot more. Then Dad's work changed to 24 hour work so shift work came in and he has been working Christmas Eve or Christmas Day or sometimes both for quite a while now so whichever day he has off is now my favourite.
    In our house, apart from Dad, nobody leaves and nobody comes here on Christmas Day and I love that!

My sister has been living away from home for four years and she always gets home for Christmas so that really sparked a bit of magic in Christmas again for us. Something to really look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

For me it really depends on what we're doing every year. My husband works Christmas Eve until lunchtime (although the last few years it has been longer :() and then he either comes home (if we're with his family for Christmas Day) or I meet him at work and we head to see my family. If we're staying in Dublin for Christmas I prefer Christmas Eve. It's all cosy and it's just the two of us. If we're spending it with my family I prefer Christmas Day because we spend Christmas Eve travelling.

Having said that, Christmas Eve is on a Saturday this year so it's going to be the most wonderful day of the year!

Advertisement