Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Thanks Wubble haven't entered either heading to Berlin that weekend....next outing will be Jingle Bells

Ah, testing out the course for next September then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I can just see the reaction now if my runners go near the case for the Berlin trip!!

kin9pin wrote: »
    Ah, testing out the course for next September then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

Hi guys, long time lurker on this super thread but I thought I'd post a link to the simple web app I wrote to download a zip file with all your low resolution race photos from finisherpix.com.

http://finisherpixdownloader.tinyviking.ie/

Apologies if something like this has already been posted.

Disclaimer: I do not wish to take away from the great work finisherpix.com do, this is just a simple way to get the low resolution images for preview before purchase of the high resolution ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Safrongirl

Hey all,
    Love the idea of the graduates thread - I would love to keep in touch with everyone now and see what happens next.
    Had my first little run today on the threadmill - nice 5km but it was a bit of a struggle - I think as I am not training for anything at the minute the threadmill was a bit hard mentally - could manage fine when training for the marathon as it was eyes on the goal but now its meh .
    Also I havent been sleeping very well all last week - I am wondering as I wasnt out running had it anything to do with it and my diet was so unhealthy which is so not like me - so this week is the start over week - back running & back healthy eating .
    I am going to do the reverse taper for the next few weeks and see how it goes.
    Anyone looks for base layers with the weather getting colder they are on offer on Sports Direct at the minute .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Sorry lads, is there anywhere you can still buy the merch from the expo? My dublin marathon beanie was stolen so I'm looking to buy a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Fbjm wrote: »
    Sorry lads, is there anywhere you can still buy the merch from the expo? My dublin marathon beanie was stolen so I'm looking to buy a new one.

Hi FBJM, is that the hat we got for running one of the race series races?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

I would also like to keep in touch through a graduates thread. As I followed the HH plan, I will also follow his post marathon plan, I ran 2m last Thursday, felt ok. Went for a 30 minute jog yesterday but cut it short as I had knee pain (outside of my knee), I haven't had this pain before which is odd having been through the plan and the marathon, I am presuming/thinking its probably my IT band?? It is not painful to walk, or go upstairs but coming downstairs it's most obvious. Will take it very easy until it settles down. I guess the old joints took a battering and are starting to fight back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithmc

+1 for the graduates thread. It'd be nice to have a link outside my small running group especially when I do all my long runs alone.

I've yet to put my runners back on. I'm thinking tomorrow night with the group for a short, gentle run. I've nothing coming up. Entry to the half marathon here in Waterford sold out last week while I was waiting to see how i'd recover so I took it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be. Must look up and see what events are going on locally as I know I'll get lazy without some level of a plan. I toyed with the idea of joining the gym to work on my non-existent core and keep up the running during the winter when I know the weather will be my excuse.

Saw my finisher pics too...look fairly ok in most thank God. My friend had warned me to smile and thumbs up any camera I saw which I duly did. I'm sure more than 3/4 of people with cameras were pointed at a family member or friend but they got cheesy me regardless!!!!!

Hope your ache is nothing too serious Fitza. That's my fear tomorrow night.

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Hi FBJM, is that the hat we got for running one of the race series races?

It was a beanie i bought myself at the expo. Wore it every day up until last Saturday night when someone took it and ran off. They had tonnes at the expo, I'm really hoping I can buy a leftover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

If it's the beanie we got from the race series you can have mine. I've never worn it.

Edit: oops. Just saw your next post. Never mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What went well with your training plan?

I missed about 3 of the midweek easy runs through illness but got all the LSR and paced runs completed. I though my training went well. I ran my easy runs by heart rate.

What would you do differently with your training?

Not sure if I would train by heart rate again . I did most of my runs on roads around Dublin which means a bit of stopping at junctions , crossings etc. It dawned on me in the latter part of my training that these stops would mean a lower average HR reading than what it would be with continuous running. Not sure if that's a factor or what I could do to change that but it is something I will give more though to next time.

I feel I just tired at 16 miles , so I would do more strength and condition in training, I did join a Pilates class and cycle one day a week on the plan but I think it was too late to make any great effect. Anyone looking at this with an notion of running it next year I'd advise to start strength training now.

What went well about the race?

Loved the race, Aerobically I felt fine the whole way through, despite my problems documented in my race report I never felt in trouble or in any danger of a DNF. My 10.40 Pace was fine I felt very comfortable up to 16 +miles and I feel my muscles just tired .

What would you do differently if you could start the race again?

I'd make sure I went to the loo just before the off, I wouldn't chase down the pacers like I did after my first stop. I wouldn't take my first gel until mile 5 and every 5 miles there after, I was warned here that every 3 miles was too much and I didn't listen, I tried to go by the recommendation from the gel suppliers which worked fine in training but not in race conditions at the Frank Duffy and the Marathon itself. Actually reading that back it's all stuff we were advised on here but I was probably too caught up in the atmosphere to remember it on the day.

Other thoughts

I had a nightmare in the Frank Duffy 10 mile, but for having a bag in the bag drop I would have stopped when passing my car on chesterfield Avenue 7 miles in, I most likely would have pulled out of the Marathon had that happened, as it was I decided to keep going until the DCM half and decide then. I'm glad that all happened, I feel what happened me that day prepared me for the main event mentally and when the wheels started to come of I could deal with it better, Mentally I was much stronger on Marathon day, not once did I think I have to stop running and not once was a DNF an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Safrongirl wrote: »
    Also I havent been sleeping very well all last week - I am wondering as I wasnt out running had it anything to do with it and my diet was so unhealthy which is so not like me - so this week is the start over week - back running & back healthy eating.

I am glad i am not the only one that is having these problems. I managed to drag myself out for a 3.5 mile run on Saturday and it felt good to get back running but finding it tough to get motivated to go running now that is colder and wetter.
    I think i need another target to go for and start focusing on that. My aims for the year would be to get Sub 70 for 10 Mile, Sub 20 for 5K and get as close as possible to 40 for 10k.
    How much Will training for the marathon have affected speed and ability for the shorter distances?

If it's the beanie we got from the race series you can have mine. I've never worn it.

Edit: oops. Just saw your next post. Never mind!

Thanks anyway, the sentiment is much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

boydkev wrote: »
    I am glad i am not the only one that is having these problems. I managed to drag myself out for a 3.5 mile run on Saturday and it felt good to get back running but finding it tough to get motivated to go running now that is colder and wetter.
    I think i need another target to go for and start focusing on that. My aims for the year would be to get Sub 70 for 10 Mile, Sub 20 for 5K and get as close as possible to 40 for 10k.
    How much Will training for the marathon have affected speed and ability for the shorter distances?

My aim is to get sub20 for a 5k too, I was 22:30 before the marathon and I think I could push out a 21:30 now. Body is still not right after the marathon and I only started back gym work yesterday.. Next week is speed training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah my hips are still sore. Going to give it 2 weeks before any attempt at running

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

jameshayes wrote: »
    My aim is to get sub20 for a 5k too, I was 22:30 before the marathon and I think I could push out a 21:30 now. Body is still not right after the marathon and I only started back gym work yesterday.. Next week is speed training!

Same here. Ran a 23:59 5km yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Thank you all for your interest in the grad thread :) We're working on it, and it will kick off in about a week or so. I got a volunteer to set it up... (thanks!) so watch this space...
    The Muppet wrote: »
    I'm hoping its this lady. that would suit me grand :D

I did a bit of Wikipedia-research on this lady. 19yo, from Somalia, had to dodge bullets when training, had to deal with death-threats for participating in the Olympics in the first place, and was fasting during her stay in London. Running an 80 sec 400m in those circumstances is quite commendable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamzam_Mohamed_Farah

boydkev wrote: »
    jameshayes wrote: »
    RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah my hips are still sore. Going to give it 2 weeks before any attempt at running
    GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Same here. Ran a 23:59 5km yesterday.

Once again - don't rush back into too much training just yet. It's been less than 10 days since the marathon and there's absolutely no rush to put in any decent session just yet. Anything other gentle slow recovery miles should be avoided.

The training you have built up over the past 4-6 months will not disappear overnight. You will surprise yourself over the shorter distances even tho you haven't specifically trained for it. I ran my two fastest parkruns 2 date about a month after the marathon, having only done some really light mileage since (in desperate conditions I might add, bit like today).

So, bottom line, don't rush back with speed-sessions and hard gym work, you still need to recover. Then again, you've nearly flown the nest, so who am I ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

nop98 wrote: »
    Once again - don't rush back into too much training just yet. It's been less than 10 days since the marathon and there's absolutely no rush to put in any decent session just yet. Anything other gentle slow recovery miles should be avoided.

The training you have built up over the past 4-6 months will not disappear overnight. You will surprise yourself over the shorter distances even tho you haven't specifically trained for it. I ran my two fastest parkruns 2 date about a month after the marathon, having only done some really light mileage since (in desperate conditions I might add, bit like today).

So, bottom line, don't rush back with speed-sessions and hard gym work, you still need to recover. Then again, you've nearly flown the nest, so who am I ... :D

Ah, Nop, you're such an Irish mammy :D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ah, Nop, you're such an Irish mammy :D

Well, that's a first :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I finally got around to doing my first post-marathon run. 3 easy miles in the rain at lunchtime today. No major niggles thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

RasTa wrote: »

Same here, very sore hips when I run. I've only done one run since the big day, 3 miles on Sunday jsut gone. Taking the rest of this week off too.
    I've a number for the Run in the Dark, will probably just do the 5k route and see how they are at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

nop98 wrote:
    Kabuxa (running San Sebastian marathons perhaps?); .

Hi nop, i still havent finished my report but I will in the next couple of days.

San Sebastian is happening! For sure! Will keep you posted!

I recovered quite quickly... ran 3 miles on Sat and 6 on Sun. Feeling good. This is the good thing about having 1 gear only: Slow ;0D...

Great reports and great to see everyone is doing so good!!

Still very happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kabuxa wrote: »
    Hi nop, i still havent finished my report but I will in the next couple of days.

I recovered quite quickly... ran 3 miles on Sat and 6 on Sun. Feeling good. This is the good thing about having 1 gear only: Slow ;0D...

Still very happy!!

I just started following the thread as i signed up for Dublin 2017 as my first. But I have a love affair with San seb , even got married there. I think I'll be doing my second one about two weeks after my first one !!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

ted1 wrote:
    I just started following the thread as i signed up for Dublin 2017 as my first. But I have a love affair with San seb , even got married there. I think I'll be doing my second one about two weeks after my first one !!

It is 4 weeks... 1 to fully rest and 3 of tapering ;0D. I got married there too but I am from there but I sooooo understand you!
    You have all the training done... a bit of rest and off you go. Depends on how much you killed yourself in Dublin.
    Sounds crazy, eh? ;0)))))

Still very happy!!
    ted1 wrote: »
    It is 4 weeks... 1 to fully rest and 3 of tapering ;0D. I got married there too but I am from there but I sooooo understand you!
    You have all the training done... a bit of rest and off you go. Depends on how much you killed yourself in Dublin.
    Sounds crazy, eh? ;0)))))

Hang on, does the Irish Mammy need to come out again and use his (:D)stern voice? Are you seriously considering doing another marathon within 4 weeks? I was only joking!

You should have the feet up and working on your DCM report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithmc

I must be your star pupil so Nop98 lol. I still haven't run a step. I had planned to return to my club tonight but I've developed a severe case of what I call "Disprinitis". To those of you unaware of this condition it's the ability to dissolve like a disprin when you run in the rain. I suffer from it terribly when it's raining so much so I just can't run!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Glad not to be out tonight. Completely unfamiliar with this damp liquid substance that's dancing on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It was surprisingly dry for the length of my training in retrospect, sure there were a few rainy days but nothing too bad and certainly not extended stretches of wet days. One of the many ways I got lucky this time around!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Also, A Neurotic claims that he's still 'formulating' his race report.

Uh huh.

6496ca2e4fb1211128ec6290e0e5de72.jpg

Advertisement