Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

giving up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Well I finally bailed this week after years with Nokias (incl WP). N95 8GB --> N97 --> N8 --> L800 --> L920 --> L930. My wife moved first from a 640 to a Moto G 3rd Gen and I picked up a SIM Free Nexus 5X for € 220 in Argos. My move was triggered by a broken screen. It's such bliss to finally be able to get apps that work. Yeah you can load website for some of them on WP but it's just not the same.

Finally I can get
    1) Get onto AIB easily
    2) Manage Meteor via App
    3) Get utility/household apps like Eir, Tesco, Airtricity
    4) Kids stuff like rtéjr for the kids
    5) A Strava app that works well and let's you add photos etc easily

That's just a few random ones off the top of my head!

I do really miss being able to keep contacts together easily - seems nearly impossible to get updating Facebook profile pics on Android without downloading some app that has mixed reviews. I also miss the nice tailored home screen with live tiles. Lastly the most annoying thing is having to start moving my "world" to USB-C!!!

If anyone wants to give Windows Phone a go still then check out my Adverts! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

That's it, I'm out.
    Facebook app stopped working properly, doesn't update, so had been using the browser. That now wont work, takes ages to load and when it does its cut half the screen out.
    Ebay app no longer supported. In fact aps are dropping out or not updating all over the shop.
    Browsing has gone super slow, probably because I'm now having WiFi connectivity issues, wont connect unless the WiFi signal is super strong. Stupid pop ups won't close, instead by tapping the x button the screen just jumps all over the place rendering websites unusable and not closing the stupid pop up.

I'm done with this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Kamili wrote: »
    That's it, I'm out.
    Facebook app stopped working properly, doesn't update, so had been using the browser. That now wont work, takes ages to load and when it does its cut half the screen out.
    Ebay app no longer supported. In fact aps are dropping out or not updating all over the shop.
    Browsing has gone super slow, probably because I'm now having WiFi connectivity issues, wont connect unless the WiFi signal is super strong. Stupid pop ups won't close, instead by tapping the x button the screen just jumps all over the place rendering websites unusable and not closing the stupid pop up.

I'm done with this...
    Just on Facebook, I started using slim social and it is working perfect for me all the time.
    Sorry I have no idea about the other issues.

If the big hitters are no longer updating and withdrawing apps there's no point. Bought an android phone so just waiting on delivery. I need a phone that functions, not one that works one minute the doesn't the next

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

CatInABox wrote: »
    A sad day, I'll always miss my start screen.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.real.launcher.wp.ten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Same here between two phones at the moment a WP and Android. But too much just doesn't work on WP now.

I think I'll use mine as walkman for the kids, as it does SD card support so much better than Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

any androids that are comparable value for money?

Chinese ones seem good, I followed the thread over in the mobiles forum on them.

any androids that are comparable value for money?

To what?

There are Android phones at every price point.

I would go for a 2gb/16gb phone as a minimum and preferably one that gets good updates. For me that was the Moto g4 but the Nexus 5x is also worth considering. Or a Wiley Swift.

• Advertisement

I know a few who bought the 950 on sale and love it. None of them use the continum dock or whatever it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

beauf wrote: »
    To what?

There are Android phones at every price point.

I would go for a 2gb/16gb phone as a minimum and preferably one that gets good updates. For me that was the Moto g4 but the Nexus 5x is also worth considering. Or a Wiley Swift.

have a 650 and for me I got so much more for the price than an android

The Xiaomi phones look fab and are cheap. Well specced too. I got a 64g redmi note 4 for 205 including delivery. Has a fingerprint scanner too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057438440

Xiaomi great bang for buck. Running MIUI 8, on Android 6.0 core. The Moto G have basically stock android. Some might prefer that to others. I might switch to a redmi note 4 to get the dual sim. The dual sim G4 is a bit too expensive.

have a 650 and for me I got so much more for the price than an android

But still missing the point though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Well after windows mobile phones for most of my life it's the end of the line for me.

My German bank has now forced push tan on us which is only android/apple, they also have changed their verified by visa to now cost 15 cent for text each usage or free with android/apple. They offer otherwise superior free banking so I'm not going to change banks just because of this.

Following so many apps I need no longer being available, I made the plunge and went android (I just could not get myself to join the apple cult for my mobile), installed Cortana/Arrow/Next and now all of my Microsoft life is still there (Cortana is even working smoother) while I now have access to more Apps.

I didn't realise Cortana worked on Android, that is super news. Can't wait to make the change now.

WP is really dying a death.. which is a pity as its easier to use.

After having an apple phone many years ago I'd never touch one again, so I hear ya on that front.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I didn't realise Cortana worked on Android, that is super news. Can't wait to make the change now.

WP is really dying a death.. which is a pity as its easier to use.

After having an apple phone many years ago I'd never touch one again, so I hear ya on that front.

For a couple of years now, Microsoft have been putting more effort into their iPhone and Android apps than into their Windows Mobile apps. They just never announced that this was the case.

CatInABox wrote: »
    For a couple of years now, Microsoft have been putting more effort into their iPhone and Android apps than into their Windows Mobile apps. They just never announced that this was the case.

Was aware of this, as most of MS employees have actually jumped ship themselves (says a lot) and moved to Android.

Wasn't aware that cortana worked seeing as its abysmal on their own platform though.

One note works well on Android.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How's Groove on android? Would probably miss that the most if I jumped ship.

Haven't tried I didn't like it on WP. Using Deezer at the moment because it was free via three.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »

It's pretty much the same. There was an update for it in July, here's a look at it.

Cortana works great, pin it and enable voice commands. It even syncs notifications over to your windows PC without problem.
    Mickeroo wrote: »

Look at the link CatInABox provided, the only thing I can't get right now (still trying to find a solution) is for it to take music I have copied to the SD card. It works fine with streaming/downloading onto the phone but somehow it just does not like the music on SD card.

The best starting point of someone coming from Windows Phone is maybe to download Microsoft Apps Manager from the Play store here.

It lists the Apps available from Microsoft for Android and you can install them from there directly rather than hunting them down from the play store.

I like the arrow launcher and the next screen is great as it integrates with outlook etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Also making the move to Android after about 4/5 years. My Lumia 920 has given up the ghost and for not much more than the repair cost, I bought a Wileyfox Swift. I was quite tempted to stick with Windows Phone but figured that although it does a lot of things well, that probably wasn't worth the lack of some apps.

Now to figure out how to transfer my contacts etc over!

I find it funny how many people are admitting to moving now too.

Its interesting how WP has less than 2% of the Market Share. No wonder apps are being discontinued all over the place.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1

I think that the Windows Mobile Phone especially with the new UPW makes great sense for the commercial market and I loved my Windows phone for the easy way it was integrated into my Microsoft Ecosystem and the outstanding customization of the home screen. All my business apps were available, its just the consumer apps that are not available.

Now being on the Android platform I have all of the consumer apps I need next to the business apps, thanks to the Microsoft products all being available on Android too, I have yet to discover a challenge for work beside the fact that now I have loads of google data collection too.

With the consumer market no longer in focus more end users are going to go to android / apple but some business users are going to stay, especially if you look at the new HP or Alcatel phones.

I find it funny how many people are admitting to moving now too.

Its interesting how WP has less than 2% of the Market Share. No wonder apps are being discontinued all over the place.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1

WP never had much of a market share or apps. I think whats changed is people got tired of all the bugs.

beauf wrote: »
    WP never had much of a market share or apps. I think whats changed is people got tired of all the bugs.

It wasn't the bugs that forced me away, it was the fact that it went back to the drawing board so often.

And the bugs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

After starting this thread months ago, I still have my lumia 925. I just cant face forking out hundreds for another phone. Husband is due an upgrade to his phone next year and i might take his iphone 6 then.

Advertisement