Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

scamalert wrote: »
    where do people buy these nowadays ,with the best price and cash back ?

Also looking at specs it seems really poor hp with stock celeron cpu,have couple pcs,and one has 4gb ddr3 ram plenty of sata ports not sure might be 3gb/s ones,also cpu is dual core intel 5700 3ghz 2mb cache 775 socket and 500wat psu

So question should i just get couple hdds and play with it,since looking to get into server side/nas for learning and home network-now psu is overkill on existing machine so need smth smaller in wattage,otherwise is there any other advantages that would warrant getting one,instead of using old pc that has almost better spec in general? thx

http://www.hpshop.ie/hewlett-packard-enterprise-proliant-microserver-gen8-2-3ghz-g1610t-150w-ultra-micro-tower-819185-421-prod.html

And a €65 cashback offer https://jrit-offers.ext.hpe.com/ie/en/pdf/HPE-ProLiant-MicroServer-Gen8-Offer.pdf

So €165 after cash back

For me it's great because of the low power and form factor.

I'd definitely play with what you have first but this is my second outing with the microserver. Great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

thx GaryCocs ,yes power factor is major player when running 24/7 ,will see maybe eventually they will release gen 9 which seems way overdue now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

scamalert wrote: »
    where do people buy these nowadays ,with the best price and cash back ?

Also looking at specs it seems really poor hp with stock celeron cpu,have couple pcs,and one has 4gb ddr3 ram plenty of sata ports not sure might be 3gb/s ones,also cpu is dual core intel 5700 3ghz 2mb cache 775 socket and 500wat psu

So question should i just get couple hdds and play with it,since looking to get into server side/nas for learning and home network-now psu is overkill on existing machine so need smth smaller in wattage,otherwise is there any other advantages that would warrant getting one,instead of using old pc that has almost better spec in general? thx

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hpe-proliant-gen8-intel-celeron-g1610t-dual-core-2.30ghz-2mb-4-x-non-hotplu-819185-421/version.asp?refsource=Ldadwords&gclid=CjwKEAjwnebABRCjpvr13dHL8DsSJABB-ILJZrZ2cWS8U2EaNEi1U_nDQ5_UqRooAt8lKPCCF9K7wBoCx2Xw_wcB&tduid=5f39c66adbc6abc609215945e9532ddb&utm_source=HotUKDeals_1018132&utm_medium=tradedoubler

Available for €120 + delivery after cashback

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mine just arrived, building tomorrow...

Just a quick question...

I'll be installing Win 7 Pro for a friend. Can anyone point me to the SATA drivers so that the Win 7 installation will pick up the Disk volume? Can I just stick these on the USB flash drive and then search for drivers when prompted? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

To install a SSD in ODD bay, what cable i do need if any and how to make the connection.
    I am setting up one for the first time with 16gb ram + 2 x 3tb wd reds + 120gb ssd.
    I don't really have a clear idea what i want to setup it up as but i am looking into setting up an Amahi server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

iwantthat wrote: »
    To install a SSD in ODD bay, what cable i do need if any and how to make the connection.
    I am setting up one for the first time with 16gb ram + 2 x 3tb wd reds + 120gb ssd.
    I don't really have a clear idea what i want to setup it up as but i am looking into setting up an Amahi server.

You'll need a floppy to SATA power adapter and then a regular SATA data cable to connect to the internal port.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi all,
    I want to upgrade CPU to this Xeon: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e3-1240-v5-s-1151-skylake-quad-core-35ghz-39ghz-turbo-8mb-cache-35x-ratio-80w-cpu-retail

Will there be any compatibility issues?

I notice that CPU states 80w - would this be too much of a load for the standard CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I want to upgrade CPU to this Xeon: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e3-1240-v5-s-1151-skylake-quad-core-35ghz-39ghz-turbo-8mb-cache-35x-ratio-80w-cpu-retail

I notice that CPU states 80w - would this be too much of a load for the standard CPU?

Microserver is an 1155 socket - that CPU won't work.

This page has a list of CPU's that should work

https://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

• Advertisement

Hi all,

socket is 1151 where on the one you link where HPs is 1155 so no it wouldn't fit,as for psu 150w given that drives make low draw is should handle 80w since celeron does 35w,so imagine theres extra space since mobo would have low consumption, but not for the cpu you want.
    reading poster before me,also would be wise to know if cpu takes passive cooling as seems there are some cpu's that would require some sort of fan which is another trouble,since small space and can only get cpu fan connected via spare cd drive cable using convertor,and heatsink is screwed in which is another issue if looking for cpu cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Hi all,

Since that isn't compatible you could look at the Xeon E3 1265L or Xeon E3 1260L. I upgraded to the 1260L since the 1265L was out of my price range at the time and it's been rock solid for months now, max temp I've reached is 65c while running handbrake. I've currently got 4 VMs running on ESXi with a Plex media server running on one and it has never let me down.

I purchased it from that guy on ebay and had it within a week and a half without any extra charges thankfully (though that's never guaranteed of course).

hi al

Just coming around to setting the thing up. Want to install MS Server 2016 on it.
    I have installed a 120GB SSD in ODD. I have 2 x 3TB WD reds in drive bays.
    Setting up dynamic smart arrays,
    What should i do,

1) 1st with ssd RAID 0
    2) 2nd with RAID 1 for 3tb drives

Should i set both up or only 1st or the 2nd option.

Also in terms of booting the server up, how i can configure it to boot from SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Leave the wd reds out install server 16 then configure raid on the drives after installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi there - Can anyone please link me to a good deal for 16GBs RAM that'll be guaranteed work in the N54L GEN 7 box?

Hoping there'll be some deals with the timing being what its is... Black Fri/Cyber Mon etc.

- Also I'll be selling 2 X 4GB modules in the next week or two if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

PS May be able to locate my original 2GB module also if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Hi all,

The PSU in my Microserver G7 N40L seems to have just died - anyone had this before?

Anyone have an old one that they're not using that I could get a replacement PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

If anyone is still following this thread..

I had N54L running UNRAID 5 as a NAS box for years at this stage, and the LG TV, PS3 and all other devices were happy to use it as DLNA source. The other day I tried to update Plex using a plex updater plugin, and that has wrecked my system. Basically, Plex has removed support for x86, and UNRAID 5 is x86. UNRAID themselves have moved onto UNRAID 6.x which is great but no longer free.

Just googling about my options, so far I've tried Ubuntu, NAS4Free etc, and I can't get any of them to do a full install into USB key like how UNRAID does. Also I want to run my server without a screen if possible - hence the reluctuance to go to full Ubuntu / Windows 8 etc, also I only have about 4 GB RAM. Then I started exploring other OS options.. and say the Synology OS hack called 'xpenology', which looks interesting. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it, any good?

http://xpenology.com/forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

positron wrote: »

I had N54L running UNRAID 5 as a NAS box for years at this stage, and the LG TV, PS3 and all other devices were happy to use it as DLNA source. The other day I tried to update Plex using a plex updater plugin, and that has wrecked my system. Basically, Plex has removed support for x86, and UNRAID 5 is x86. UNRAID themselves have moved onto UNRAID 6.x which is great but no longer free.

Just googling about my options, so far I've tried Ubuntu, NAS4Free etc, and I can't get any of them to do a full install into USB key like how UNRAID does. Also I want to run my server without a screen if possible - hence the reluctuance to go to full Ubuntu / Windows 8 etc, also I only have about 4 GB RAM. Then I started exploring other OS options.. and say the Synology OS hack called 'xpenology', which looks interesting. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it, any good?

Been running xpenology for well over a year and it is rock solid on an N40L with 8Gb ram from a USB.

Was previously using whs2011 but that had many issues running from an ssd.

Unraid 6 is only $59 and offers far more bang for your buck. The docker images are a great replacement for Plugins as they are virtualised apps, so any problems will only bring down the Docker - not the system. Plex updates are a couple of clicks. Update from 5 should be painless too.

First thing to do either way is to backup your library

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

I lost 4 years of usage history before, so be warned!

Thanks for the positive comment on Xpenology, I managed to take out all my data / disks from the N54L except for a sacrificial 250GB disk, and wow, literally took me less than 20 minutes to get Xpenology going. GUI is brilliant, especially coming from Unraid 5's horrible clunkly web pages, and even Unmenu was just so poor. Xpenology is perfect, I can now really appreciate why people spend thousands on Synology boxes. I love the add on apps they have, got a volume setup and Plex installed in less that 10 minutes. Synology's SHR raid solution is perfect for me (I periodically take backups to off-line external hdd anyway). I have ordered another 3 TB disk from Amazon, when that comes I will throw it in, and will have to figure out a way to get data out of the 3 TB disk that came out of UNRAID setup (reiserFS), and then add that 3 TB also to the N54L.

I am sure I will run into issues with xpenology at some stage, but it sure looks great for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I am sure I will run into issues with xpenology at some stage, but it sure looks great for now.

I love DSM and always advocate to at least evaluate Synology. But XPenology is nothing but a toy. It is nowhere a serious solution to any production data.

Is the Microserver over-kill for someone who just wants it for downloading, media server and back ups ?

I've been looking at this or a synology box for the last while now and just can't figure out which would be best for me.

The server will be connected via home plugs in a back room so size isn't really an issue.

I like tinkering and learning so having to start from scratch with the microserver isn't putting me off, but the plug and play with synology is tempting.

will56 wrote: »
    Is the Microserver over-kill for someone who just wants it for downloading, media server and back ups ?

I've been looking at this or a synology box for the last while now and just can't figure out which would be best for me.

Yes, it is. Any NAS will work better for you...
    The server will be connected via home plugs in a back room so size isn't really an issue.

I like tinkering and learning so having to start from scratch with the microserver isn't putting me off, but the plug and play with synology is tempting.

Learning is a different story.

grogi wrote: »
    Yes, it is. Any NAS will work better for you...

Learning is a different story.

How do you mean ?

How do you mean ?

If you want functionality and ease of use, a Synology or QNAP would be much better choice. You'll get what you need out of the box and 20 minutes after the parcel arrives, you are running. No skills required.

But if you want to learn about Linux... Just install a box in a virtual machine. Learning with your production data is a very very bad idea.

If you plan to do transcoding in Plex then a NAS won't cut it.

stimpson wrote: »
    If you plan to do transcoding in Plex then a NAS won't cut it.

Plex for x86 is not supported anymore...

grogi wrote: »
    Plex for x86 is not supported anymore...

The current Microserver is 64bit. My brother uses one for PMS without issue.

N54L is also 64 bit. With Xpenology, I've DSM 5.2 up and running and so far it looks perfect. My Microserver is not really used for any 'production' quality workload, it's basically there as a NAS box, where I can throw all the media (movies, tv shows, music, photos etc from all kinda sources) and consume them from multiple devices (phones, tablets, tv & projector). I have also configured all the our phones to automatically backup all photos and videos as they connect to the WIFI, this way photos are backed up out of the phone and into the server every day (which is not that important as they also gets backed up to Google Photos etc) but it also makes them quickly available to view on the TV or projector etc. With xpenology, I might even use the N54L to attach my old non-wifi printer to network, and now that I see all these additional add-on packages.. may be a security camera.. Hmm..

I would agree with grogi though, if you don't fancy messing with HDDs, usb keys and bit of DIY, a simple Synology NAS box might be the way to go.

• Advertisement

yeah xpenology is fun took me forever to get it running on my regular pc turned into vmware machine,that said it has a lot of functions for ip web cams,torrents,storage - didnt play much with it since it was on vm but interface is smooth and if one can get raid and other functions running its really good bang for any server/pc type machine if running 24/7 ,its not ideal solution to real deal,but closest thing since it draws very little power and resources.Since alternative costs around 150+e for cheapest model,where 4 bay is well over couple hundred.

Advertisement