Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

I tried to minimise the time off work, but almost ended up having to wait till Mon/Tue. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Hey everyone, just looking for a bit of advice. Bit of a different/complex scenario, but hopefully I've explained it well :)

I put a deposit down on a car up in Belfast today, garage are having it serviced and have to do one or two bits to get it ready. We agreed on next Thursday as collection day, before long weekend etc.

I've agreed to sell my current car to a dealership in Dublin as a cash deal. This will go through on Monday, and they will transfer funds into my bank account there and then, so should hit my account Monday evening/ Tuesday morning at the latest. I obviously need majority of the cash for the old car in order to pay for the new one.

Just need some advice on paying the balance on the new car. The salesman said they prefer using bank transfers, as some banks have daily limits as to how much you can pay with by card. I bank with Permanent TSB, is anyone aware if they have any limits? If I go down the route of a bank transfer, if I transfer to the UK account on Tuesday morning, will it hit their account on Thursday? The dealer is adamant he will not release the car until the payment hits their account, which is understandable of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Rob, permTSB allow €5k via open24 web and another €5k by phone on same day, but perhaps dependant on type of current account. I'm collecting in UK tomorrow, and made payment via TransferMate. Transfer from my account to Transfermate happened on same day, and did transfer from Trasfermate to the garage a few days later, but also transferred in one day, as made request before lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭HeadWrecked93

Off to the airport now to bring home my new car. Will report back how the process went for me over the next couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Lads, just a suggestion. Revoult card you can use it up to 5k sterling in a single transfer without any fee's. Also if rate is good then its a win win. But try do transaction weekday as Revolut lock in rate Friday evening.

https://revolut.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 tp89

mad m wrote: »
    Lads, just a suggestion. Revoult card you can use it up to 5k sterling in a single transfer without any fee's. Also if rate is good then its a win win.

Exactly what I did. Had to use mine and my girlfriends card but worked a treat. Got a great rate at the time but it's even better now

Perhaps this question needs a new thread, but here seems appropriate - regarding county registration (if outside Dublin) what's the consensus on resale value of Dublin reg versus non-Dub reg plate?
    Brought in a new car yesterday so still have a few weeks to decide, but would welcome opinion on above...

akasudonim wrote: »
    Perhaps this question needs a new thread, but here seems appropriate - regarding county registration (if outside Dublin) what's the consensus on resale value of Dublin reg versus non-Dub reg plate?
    Brought in a new car yesterday so still have a few weeks to decide, but would welcome opinion on above...

I think, the car is registered to your address county and not to the center you are making the appointment with, do you have a choice of home address?

Denisoftus wrote: »
    I think, the car is registered to your address county and not to the center you are making the appointment with, do you have a choice of home address?

Ahhh, that may explain it - I'm on the border of two counties, last time I registered an import I choose one county, though the test center was in the other, it was not a problem - which had me thinking I could register as Dub reg if wanted to. Thanks D.

I had been thinking about buying a car for a short while now and after seeing this thread and the pound fell I decided two weeks ago it was time. Here is my experience :

Spent a couple of days looking at autotrader.co.uk and found a car that ticked all the boxes

Contacted dealership on a friday to find out the following : if i could arrange an independent inspectionby dekra because I would be exportinv and couldn't view myself. Number of keys with the car. Evidence of service history? Documents with car to prove i.e Previous mot certs, garage receipts? What payment they accepted.

I was happy with what I heard to applied for a loan on a saturday for amount needed which came through in 3 days (was over a weekend).

Advertised my car and mams car online and was willing to sell either. €20

Haggled a little with garage and got £500 off. Paid the garage £250 deposit barring nothing showed up in inspection €281

Organised inspection with Dekra on Monday. Got the £125 pound piece of mind one because I was satisfied with all the mot and service history I had seen and garage provided hpi. €161

Inspection was carried out on thursday and report was emailed to me that evening with no problems to report bar a tiny crack on windscreen. Others here have said they got phone call  I tried ringing my engineer a few times but went to voice mail every time and never got call back.
    Booked flight to Southampton, train to Bournemouth and ferry holyhead to dublin for the Saturday. €207

On Friday I printed off all the boarding passes etc. Made sure I had debit card, driving licence and what not.

Left home at 5.20am for Dublin flight at 8.40. Arrived in Southampton  at 10 am and got train to Bournemouth shortly after. Got collected by sales rep and went for test drive. Back to garage done all the paper work. Took full V5C form, invoice and all mot and service history papers and headed for the port delighted! 7hr drive later and a quick diesel and burger king stop we finally arrived. 3 hour ferry home and 1.5hour drive from there got into bed at 2 am!  It was a long day but so worth it.

Now I must go sort out VRT but delighted to have a car that I didn't think I would be able to afford over here for a loooong time! Thanks Brexit.

So here's the low down of my cost
    Advertising : €20
    Inspection: €161
    Car: €11400
    Travel: €207
    VRT: ~€4000
    Total: €15 700 ish
    Value of car here ~€21000
    Saving around €5000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

I was heading off from Cork to Liverpool (10 euro), then driving to Nottingham to collect the car (90 euro rental + 10 euro refuel). The Holyhead- Dublin ferry was 143 euro. I did not do any car inspection as the car was Lexus Approved with 12 months warranty for £9999, VRT 1030 euro. Total of 12630 euro. About 3k saving and would have not found a similar car in condition this good. A no brainer really...

Just for a craic I was checking one of the GS300h in UK. 25-26k euros altogether. Same car in Ireland - at least 32k. If only had the money...

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I had been thinking about buying a car for a short while now and after seeing this thread and the pound fell I decided two weeks ago it was time. Here is my experience :

Spent a couple of days looking at autotrader.co.uk and found a car that ticked all the boxes

Contacted dealership on a friday to find out the following : if i could arrange an independent inspectionby dekra because I would be exportinv and couldn't view myself. Number of keys with the car. Evidence of service history? Documents with car to prove i.e Previous mot certs, garage receipts? What payment they accepted.

I was happy with what I heard to applied for a loan on a saturday for amount needed which came through in 3 days (was over a weekend).

Advertised my car and mams car online and was willing to sell either. €20

Haggled a little with garage and got £500 off. Paid the garage £250 deposit barring nothing showed up in inspection €281

Organised inspection with Dekra on Monday. Got the £125 pound piece of mind one because I was satisfied with all the mot and service history I had seen and garage provided hpi. €161

Inspection was carried out on thursday and report was emailed to me that evening with no problems to report bar a tiny crack on windscreen. Others here have said they got phone call  I tried ringing my engineer a few times but went to voice mail every time and never got call back.
    Booked flight to Southampton, train to Bournemouth and ferry holyhead to dublin for the Saturday. €207

On Friday I printed off all the boarding passes etc. Made sure I had debit card, driving licence and what not.

Left home at 5.20am for Dublin flight at 8.40. Arrived in Southampton  at 10 am and got train to Bournemouth shortly after. Got collected by sales rep and went for test drive. Back to garage done all the paper work. Took full V5C form, invoice and all mot and service history papers and headed for the port delighted! 7hr drive later and a quick diesel and burger king stop we finally arrived. 3 hour ferry home and 1.5hour drive from there got into bed at 2 am!  It was a long day but so worth it.

Now I must go sort out VRT but delighted to have a car that I didn't think I would be able to afford over here for a loooong time! Thanks Brexit.

So here's the low down of my cost
    Advertising : €20
    Inspection: €161
    Car: €11400
    Travel: €207
    VRT: ~€4000
    Total: €15 700 ish
    Value of car here ~€21000
    Saving around €5000

What did you get? Stick up a few pics.

A passat CC will try get photos up later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

A passat CC will try get photos up later

Very nice they were on my radar but the missus liked the i40. So I picked up my i40 on Friday just past Newry. By my reckoning on the model I got with only 39,000 miles, I saved approx €3K.

Was tempted to travel to England but garage I bought from my Dad had bought there previous. The car is immaculate & passed all the checks.

Happy driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I'm very close to booking tickets and ferries but for the life of me I cant seem to find the best way of payment, I'm looking at a superb 151 £13K, on the bell to the bank and they wont release and more than €10K per day and the cars cost is coming in at a shade under €15K when converted back.

Dealer will accept a bankers draft but wont release the car until its cleared by his bank that might take 1-2 days, obviously I dont want to be hanging around for 2 days, whats my best option here?

Thanks!

akasudonim wrote: »
    Rob, permTSB allow €5k via open24 web and another €5k by phone on same day, but perhaps dependant on type of current account. I'm collecting in UK tomorrow, and made payment via TransferMate. Transfer from my account to Transfermate happened on same day, and did transfer from Trasfermate to the garage a few days later, but also transferred in one day, as made request before lunch time.

So I've booked the payment with Transfermate, thanks for the suggestion, once I clear the funds by 1pm Wednesday, it will hit the garage's bank account by close of business Wednesday.

I Was VB wrote: »
    I'm very close to booking tickets and ferries but for the life of me I cant seem to find the best way of payment, I'm looking at a superb 151 £13K, on the bell to the bank and they wont release and more than €10K per day and the cars cost is coming in at a shade under €15K when converted back.

Dealer will accept a bankers draft but wont release the car until its cleared by his bank that might take 1-2 days, obviously I dont want to be hanging around for 2 days, whats my best option here?

Thanks!

In the exact same situation as yourself, I used advice given on here to use TransferMate, excellent customer service, and once they have funds in their account by 1pm, its in the dealer's account by COB

RobTheLad wrote: »
    In the exact same situation as yourself, I used advice given on here to use TransferMate, excellent customer service, and once they have funds in their account by 1pm, its in the dealer's account by COB

I want to see the car and have a deal face to face, I dont want to buy the car unseen. Also i dont want to have to go over, wait two days for the cash to clear either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wish i remembered what finance option I used?! But when I got there, i left the dealership not long after arriving. It must have been by Bank draft or something.

I want to see the car and have a deal face to face, I dont want to buy the car unseen. Also i dont want to have to go over, wait two days for the cash to clear either.

why don't you put the funds in with transfermate anyway, go see it face to face, if it checks out and you're happy, hit the trigger with transfer mate before 1pm, then wait til 5pm/6pm for it to clear into the dealers account and then win win? Bit of hanging around that afternoon, but probably best way really.

• Advertisement

RobTheLad wrote: »
    why don't you put the funds in with transfermate anyway, go see it face to face, if it checks out and you're happy, hit the trigger with transfer mate before 1pm, then wait til 5pm/6pm for it to clear into the dealers account and then win win? Bit of hanging around that afternoon, but probably best way really.

That sounds good! I didnt think the transfer would be so quick.

That sounds good! I didnt think the transfer would be so quick.

if you're thinking about doing it, get your account setup now with transfermate, as you need to give them a scan of your passport, proof of address etc, which could take a day or so for them to validate. I'm in same situation with 10k daily limit with permanent tsb, so have agreed with transfermate that i'll split the transfer, which they've no problem at all doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thanks!

GBP bank draft written on an Irish bank will not likely be cleared within 1-2 days. IS it on the debit card that they will not allow more than €10k per day? For electronic transfers, it should be possible to complete a mandate to permit a larger amount. Use of a money transfer agent, moneycorp, transfer mate, currencyfair etc should be possible.

Don't know if this is helpful but if you have a bank of ireland visa debit card there is no limit so you can just play for your car using that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

Don't know if this is helpful but if you have a bank of ireland visa debit card there is no limit so you can just play for your car using that

I can confirm that. I was paying £10k with visa debit but informed the bank about my plans so they would not jump on the fact that there is so much money about to be transfer from a location abroad. As I was doing that on Sunday I thought it would be good to have all these sorted.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

walus wrote:
    I can confirm that. I was paying £10k with visa debit but informed the bank about my plans so they would not jump on the fact that there is so much money about to be transfer from a location abroad. As I was doing that on Sunday I thought it would be good to have all these sorted.

Same here. I rang bank and insurance company on the Wednesday or Thursday and sorted everything then for the Saturday. I would probably have saved a couple of hundred by using transfer mate or the likes but it was more convenient for me to use debit card even though dealers machine charged 2.15%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Denisoftus wrote: »
    1. called Zurich Ins. on Wed, gave them new car details, asked to transfer insurance starting from Sat. they said - oh ,yeah, no bother, but don't do it now, who knows what car are you going to end up with (and that was true :) ), we have 24-hours line, they can do transfer on Sat for you, blah, blah, blah. So trusted their advice and went off.
    2. on Sat called them again to the number (took me a while to find one as main offices closed) and guy said, NO, sorry we only deal with breakdown assistance. Anyway after long conversation he agreed to make an exemption and give me 24-hour coverage, just to come back to me in 1 minute to say, sorry but it can't be done, my old car is 2L and new is 3.5L,

Lexus GS450h?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Solberg2005

I'm looking for some information regarding the purchase of a nearly new car in the UK as there is no second hand models available here at the moment. A couple of queries I have are as follows:
    • V5C Form. Is this a requirement when registering car over here?
    • Who is the best car assessor in the UK to get to carry out an inspection of the car?
    • Safest way of money payment?
    • Warranty cover in Ireland.

Any further tips or things I need to be in the know about?

rocky wrote: »
    Lexus GS450h?

Good guess :)

• Advertisement

I can confirm that, also paid VRT with it, didn't even notify the bank, went trough no problem. To be honest, its kind of scary, that it is that easy.

Advertisement