Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

Why is a supermarket unfortunate? Do you mean massive car dealers?

I've only started looking online but how do I know the 'good' dealers from the 'dodgy' ones?

Do you guys tend to look for dealers closer to Hollyhead?

Some supermarkets have poor reputations, they know little about the history of the cars they have and can't give you detailed info over the phone. The one I'm going to (available cars) have a better write up and fingers crossed it will work. They are not "dodgy" in any way however but they will not discount at all.

Don't be bothered too much about being near to Holyhead, plenty of places around Manchester and even Birmingham easily doable in a day. Top tip is to book Stena "Premium" class, you can cancel or change up to 2 hrs before for free. Oh, and book the return Ryanair flight.. Just in case you are not happy, so you can walk away easily..

Oh and make 100% sure they have the vehicle cert to hand and are happy to hand it to you for export..

b.gud wrote: »
    Is there any way to figure out if your car had extras? I'm getting Vrt done on Friday and afaik the car doesn't have any extras but would like to know to avoid any nasty surprises

Think you can check the exact spec on any uk car online. Motorspecs is one site I found..

Edited... Actually don't, looks like it does not have individual extras added, bit of a scam..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Moe1013 wrote: »
    The one I'm going to (available cars) have a better write up and fingers crossed it will work.

Curious, which AvailableCars location did you use and how did you get from airport to dealer?

Curious, which AvailableCars location did you use and how did you get from airport to dealer?

I'm going to Leeds.. According to Google should take me just over an hour from airport on public buses. Drive to Holyhead about 3 hrs. That's the plan anyway!

I'm going to Leeds.. According to Google should take me just over an hour from airport on public buses. Drive to Holyhead about 3 hrs. That's the plan anyway!

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

Got a car a few years back in Leeds, very handy drive think I drove it in 2 hrs or so

mark316 wrote: »
    Got a car a few years back in Leeds, very handy drive think I drove it in 2 hrs or so

Did you buy it from Available Cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

gaillimh wrote: »
    OP - thanks for that very detailed list of steps. Just curious as to what the warranty situation was on the car you purchased.
    Did you purchase without any warranty? If so - did you get much if any discount for this?

I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 car with a UK dealer (not a main dealer) but just a bit worried about the whole warranty situation as obviously would not be able to bring it back over if something were to go wrong.

Cheers

On the phone I got a couple of hundred quid off the asking price on that basis. Not much but it was already the lowest priced of the model I was looking for.

I bought a 5 year old and there is always a risk that something might go wrong with no warranty but I was prepared to take it because, in my view, the savings on buying here were sufficient to justify the risk.

Bigbok wrote: »

OP did u find the calculation for vrt online to very from when they actually looked at the car as I see u have a top spec?just wondering if my calculation price will go up as I have a sunroof and panoramic roof and leather?

The VRT calculator had my make model and spec including satnav and so the price I paid was exactly as calculated. There was an additional chrome kit above the spec but nothing was added for that.

Did you buy it from Available Cars?

No sorry just out of a garage in Leeds

• Advertisement

What are the main things you need when vrt the car, drivers licence/ proof of address/ ferry receipt/invoice for car and dvla form??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

mark316 wrote: »
    What are the main things you need when vrt the car, drivers licence/ proof of address/ ferry receipt/invoice for car and dvla form??

PPS number, also.

When you book the VRT appointment you'll get an email outlining all the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

Bumski do You have that website address for paying the road tax in UK online? I'm actually interested in buying a vehicle that is tax free and yet the dealer tells me that I still need to buy a road tax. What they also say is that this can only be done for a UK citizen as there is an postal address required.
    Thanks,

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

walus wrote: »
    Bumski do You have that website address for paying the road tax in UK online? I'm actually interested in buying a vehicle that is tax free and yet the dealer tells me that I still need to buy a road tax. What they also say is that this can only be done for a UK citizen as there is an postal address required.
    Thanks,

Don't know if anyone has successfully done this. I know if you go to a post office they will do it but they will take the V5 cert and post it to you. VV bad idea as you'll need it for the vrt and I'm not sure if they even post abroad. My dealer took a common sense approach as I had a ferry ticket that evening and just handed me the v5. Technically you may be illegal driving to the ferry but with no plausible way of fixing this I seriously doubt pc plod would be interested if evidence of ferry (which includes the reg) was produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dubrov

Thanks,

When I picked up a car in the UK, the dealer paid the vehicle tax right in front of me at his computer and gave me a receipt. It only cost £30 but I hadn't even requested it. I am not sure how they did it or if it was even in my name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thanks,
    Anytime I've ever bought a car in the UK with the exception of once, Ive taken the chance and drove it to the ferry untaxed. Most of the main roads will have ANPR cameras located somewhere along them, however if the previous owner had it taxed, even though it doesnt transfer, the DVLA doesnt issue a refund of unused tax until the change of ownership is processed therefore effectively if your driving straight to the ferry the car wont flag as being untaxed and wont draw attention. I wouldnt be hanging around parking it up in town etc as they clamp untaxed cars over there. If you were unlucky enough to be stopped by the plod, make sure and explain to them that the car has just been bought and is heading straight for the ferry, once you have proof of ferry etc. it shouldnt be a problem. Also explain to them that you cannot tax a car in the UK unless you have an address there.

The one time I did have to tax a car was due to a sticky dealer insisting I didnt leave without it, I got him to tax it to his garage name for a month which he done online and charged me 3 quid.

I agree that the best solution to this is a common sense approach. I checked online and for cars with CO2 less than 100g/km there is no tax to be paid so I assume that is enough of explanation. Unless I'm mixing things up and this is some other type of tax?

I Think I have located the vehicle I want to buy. As much as I hate dealing with insurance companies I'll have to transfer my insurance temporarily onto that car. Any advise how to deal with that? Are they supposed to just do it without rising any issues? Is that a standard procedure to be transferring insurance onto a car registered abroad?
    Thanks.

I Think I have located the vehicle I want to buy. As much as I hate dealing with insurance companies I'll have to transfer my insurance temporarily onto that car. Any advise how to deal with that? Are they supposed to just do it without rising any issues? Is that a standard procedure to be transferring insurance onto a car registered abroad?
    Thanks.

You won't have an issue insuring a car registered outside the state. By law they have to report to revenue if you have a foreign car insured more than 30 days. Anytime I've done it recently they just said they'd insure it for 30 days and I'd then have to ring them and give them the new Irish reg.

Thanks,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away. As happened with Dubrov, the garage taxed it while I was there so I didn't use the website. My car was SORD so it could have been picked up by cameras or the cops and would have showed up as untaxed.

• Advertisement

Bumski wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply, I've been away. As happened with Dubrov, the garage taxed it while I was there so I didn't use the website. My car was SORD so it could have been picked up by cameras or the cops and would have showed up as untaxed.

Thanks. Just to be clear here it is the road tax we are talking about here right?

Thanks. Just to be clear here it is the road tax we are talking about here right?

Yes

Garages seem to declare the car off the road (Statutory Off Road Declaration)which I think suspends the tax and then the new owner is legally required to pay the road tax. It doesn't transfer as it does in Ireland.

Ok, I get it now. I'm bringing in a hybrid which in UK is road tax exempt and so I guess nothing to be worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ok, I get it now. I'm bringing in a hybrid which in UK is road tax exempt and so I guess nothing to be worry about.

Just make sure that paying a zero rate of tax and not requiring tax are the same thing. Maybe double check with the DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jofeck

I'm heading to UK to buy one of two cars... garage want a bank transfer but its either of two garages... so I can't do bank transfer. STG£14k - crazy volume of cash to carry as cash. Any suggestions on how to pay a garage if not using bank transfer?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bumski wrote: »
    Yes

Garages seem to declare the car off the road (Statutory Off Road Declaration)which I think suspends the tax and then the new owner is legally required to pay the road tax. It doesn't transfer as it does in Ireland.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Just make sure that paying a zero rate of tax and not requiring tax are the same thing. Maybe double check with the DVLA.

The car tax is cancelled on transfer, so it happens when dealer buys it.

Even zero tax must be paid, if you get what I mean, so it must be done. It is normally done on line so dealer should do it for you as part of deal, even on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I just wanted to double check something.

As per this page on Revenue's website it seems that I can bring my car back with me from the UK (where I have lived for a few years) without having to pay VRT, assuming I'd had it for at least 6 months prior.

I can't really afford to get this wrong so can anyone confirm this is the case - do they know anyone who's done this?

Gbear wrote: »

As per this page on Revenue's website it seems that I can bring my car back with me from the UK (where I have lived for a few years) without having to pay VRT, assuming I'd had it for at least 6 months prior.

I can't really afford to get this wrong so can anyone confirm this is the case - do they know anyone who's done this?

Seems about eight but be warned you'll need reams of paperwork to support the application, plus as far as I remember you won't be allowed to sell the car for a year. If in doubt contact revenue and ask them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gbear wrote: »

I did it a few years back, just bring all proof the revenue require with you, car insurance/car tax, bank statement, payslips, rent receipts etc. Was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone here could advise.

I'm just back from UK having bought a car. Unfortunately, the garage had sent the V5 form to the DVLA even before we had arrived.

The garage held onto 2 slips, the V5C/2, and the V5C/4.

I'm thinking, from the various info I've read, that this won't be enough for VRT, that I need the entire V5.

Is this true? And if so, does anyone know what I could possibly do in meantime to help avoid any issues/penalties?

Advertisement