Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrival [**SPOILERS FROM POST 45 ONWARD**]

• 09-08-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Taking place after alien crafts land around the world, an expert linguist is recruited by the military to determine whether they come in peace or are a threat.

Stars Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker. Out on November 11th.

It has a great aesthetic. I love the look of the alien ship. I hope the full trailer doesn't give away too much. Reminds me a bit of Contact (but hopefully without the crap ending) :)

With Denis Villeneuve as director, I have really high hopes.

Teaser trailer (full trailer next week):

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The full trailer is out now. This movie looks great.
    Well done to the editors for holding back.

I've started reading Ted Chiang's short story on which this is based (Story of your Life). Not bad, but pretty tough going. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

:D

Another full trailer came out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Looks great, well keep an eye on this one.

Final trailer. Doesn't look like any new footage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ok.

Saw this last night. Couldn't even process immediately after. So walked home.

Caveat. Can't talk about any story element of the film at all without spoiling it all entirely.
    Cast are all brilliant except for the green arrow or whoever he is mutant guy that stars in avengers? He was annoying and was meant to be but he didn't gel for me with a cast that were totally in tune apart from him.

Overall? As a comparison, i was so totally excited for the release of force awakens? I felt that level of excitement for this film, after having seen it
    I've never seen anything done quite like this, but so well and in such a original and brilliantly way. It does not do what you think or what the trailers lead you to think, at all

After that i can't say anything else about it without ruining it. Other than I need to see it another 4/5 times to really absorb and figure out...everything.

It's so good. Make sure you see it in cinema. Really Makes all the difference For this one. Deffo seeing this a few more times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The Cinema a must? Really?

Hrmmm.. must try and do that so.

Cos like.. I know it's supposed to be a great story and really well thought out, I didn't think it would have Must-See big screen elements. Must re-evaluate.

Slydice wrote: »
    The Cinema a must? Really?

Hrmmm.. must try and do that so.

Cos like.. I know it's supposed to be a great story and really well thought out, I didn't think it would have Must-See big screen elements. Must re-evaluate.

Everything is more powerful on the big screen. Certainly elements of this film do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The trailer looked decent but wasn't expecting much.

But word of mouth (incl David above) and reviews like this have me bloody excited.
    The time to pull this stuff apart probably isn’t two months before Arrival’s UK release, so let’s just say the food for thought on offer here is Michelin-star-worthy. It turns an already beautiful, provocative allegory into the kind of science-fiction that can bump your whole worldview off balance. This is riveting, dizzying stuff from Villeneuve, and another early peak in a thunderously exciting year at the Venice Film Festival.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/09/01/arrival-is-science-fiction-at-is-most-beautiful-and-provocative/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Saw in in the Screen Unseen slot tonight.
    Loved it. I think it may have gone over the heads of some of the audience though, who on leaving the cinema sounded a bit confused.

• Advertisement

Yeah I can see how it might do that. I definitely left with questions but only more excited to see it again to hopefully get the answers. Loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I know so many people who've seen the bloody thing now and they're all whispering away to one another on whatsapp whilst I'm sitting here, Arrival-less for at least another week.

first-world-prob-header.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

quad_red wrote: »
    I know so many people who've seen the bloody thing now and they're all whispering away to one another on whatsapp whilst I'm sitting here, Arrival-less for at least another week.

first-world-prob-header.jpg

Looks to be out here next weekend

With this and Nocturnal Animals, Amy Adams could be the favourite for an Oscar next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This didn't live up to the hype for me. It is very good and I liked how it panned out, but it was too slow and ponderous for my liking and there were some big questions left unanswered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I loved it! But there were quite a few kids at my screening. I'd say their parents thought, oh it's another aliens/superhero movie, perfect!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really liked this, it's science fiction in the vein of Contact (the closest film I could think of) but with a bit more...stylistic flair, perhaps? I thought the sound and visual design was good, and helped to sell the strangeness of the situation. The narrative is played out nicely, and I thought that the story comes together very nicely - without feeling too overly-narrated, but also not leaving any significant unresolved elements. There are a couple of exposition-heavy moments with Whitaker's character, but they're pretty minimal.

Aside from the teaser I managed to avoid watching any of the main trailers for this, which I think made scenes like
    the vertical tunnel where gravity shifts, or the first view of what the aliens look like
    more effective.

If you have seen or read much science-fiction, the story isn't exactly new territory - but I think it is mostly a well-executed exploration of its themes, with a great central performance from Amy Adams (Renner is alright, but I've never considered him to be much more than alright in any role, so YMMV).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

Arrival - 9/10

A genuinely intelligent Sci-fi film that is both challenging and spectacular in equal measure. Like all of the best films in this genre, this is stunning to look at, has a magnificent soundscape, ponders philosophical questions and tackles modern day issues.

Probably most comparable with the likes of Contact or Close Encounters. I had avoided all trailers/press so went in not knowing what to expect. Made my experience all the more better.

Incredible!
    And has to be seen in the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I thought it great up until a certain point and then they took the easy way out leaving a wortless ending.

From that point I couldn't believe how convenient everything was.

This movie is well over hyped.
    *Oh, someone that can see the future and knows exactly what to do. well isn't that convenient and handy for the writers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

I liked it.

Definitely one for the cinema, but more for the soundscapes than the visuals.
    Genuinely affecting in places, felt quite slow and unrushed without being plodding.

Need a couple of days to get my head around it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A wonderful film.
    Possibly one of my favourites of the year.
    The final arc, revelation and the realisation in my mind of the consequences were breath taking.
    As a parent, who had brought his son with him, it just shook me.
    Been a long time since any film did that.
    Unfortunately, as a genre movie, it's unlikely to get a nod at the Oscars, but Adams deserves one for this.

I can't stop thinking about it and it's a long time since a film has done that to me

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Beautiful film. I loved it.

Amy Adams was great. Renner's role could have been bigger. I'd like to see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Excellent film. 9/10 for me
    Spot on acting, directing and editing.
    Not a bad word to say about it .I was really glad I didn't watch too many trailers etc.

However I think this is the type of film that will be far more appreciated by some than others.

I expect most of the complaints to come from those who went to it expecting more action or more of a standard scifi alien flick.

I would watch this again today if I had the opportunity, hope it gets the box office figures it deserves as its the type of film that is getting hard to make these days

I'm going to see it again today and feel I'll want to see it again after that. It's just so good.
    Sadly I have friends who are nah aliens and sci fi. Not interested. Can't even begin to explain it's not that in any way at all. Their loss I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm reading an article by Stephen Wolfram, creator of Mathematica and author of A New Kind Of Science, about his work on the science side of the production. His son was also involved with coding the visuals, and Stephen wrote a piece called Quick, How Might the Alien Spacecraft Work?. This appears to be a change from the original title, "I had one night to invent interstellar travel". He says there are no spoilers in there - I haven't seen the movie so can't comment. It's great reading for some background in to the graphics, with some being generated by real code live.

PS the bit near the end about the whiteboard is fun, and he explains all the maths that appears on it, as well as the need to work around Amy Adams' hair ...

PPS Wolfram describes the shape of the spaceship as a "rattleback": this is a solid object that can only spin in one direction, and refuses to spin in the other direction. Which sounds physically impossible, but I had a chance to play with one at the Science Museum earlier this year, and there are videos such as this.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Best movie I've seen this year so far (and I go 1-2 times a week).

I predict Oscar nominations for Amy, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

Gobsmacked. I will see it again before it leaves the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

While I don't think its say as good as Interstellar (though I'm probably alone in thinking Interstellar is one of the greatest films ever; weird criticism I know) I thought this was a brilliant, original, highly creative movie which is possibly the best film I've seen this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i loved it , kind of reminded me of a few sci fi movies , contact , monsters , 2001
    soundtrack was really good too

• Advertisement

Great to see people are loving it. I recommend seeing a monster calls when it's out in January. It's nothing like Arrival but has that same not afraid to be honest /brave but this time about grief and loss. Whole cinema was crying by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭MfMan

I thought it great up until a certain point and then they took the easy way out leaving a wortless ending.

From that point I couldn't believe how convenient everything was.

This movie is well over hyped.
    *Oh, someone that can see the future and knows exactly what to do. well isn't that convenient and handy for the writers.

Agree with this. Competent, intelligent and visually excellent, but very good rather than great I'd say. The denouement is just a bit too convenient I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Its not just her that could see the future though - the implication of what she says re. the language is that anyone who learns it and understands it, will see the world and time in the same way. The language would change humanity, forever.

Its not just her that could see the future though - the implication of what she says re. the language is that anyone who learns it and understands it, will see the world and time in the same way. The language would change humanity, forever.

Exactly this.

I saw it in Screen 1 of a multiplex on a Saturday night, couldn't have been more than a dozen people in there.
    Wonder will it be a financial flop.

I suspect a lot of people won't like it at all.

MeatTwoVeg wrote:
    I saw it in Screen 1 of a multiplex on a Saturday night, couldn't have been more than a dozen people in there. Wonder will it be a financial flop.

The screening I was at on Friday was completely full, but I feel it will be quite divisive. The people sitting beside me weren't fans at all.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I really didn't like it. It was pretentious in the same way that Interstellar was, although this film didn't make me as angry as Interstellar did. There were so many stupid things about the last 30 mins or so of this film that left me shaking my head though. I was looking forward to seeing it, but came away thoroughly disappointed with the plot and indeed the big twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It was never really hinted at that this was happening though, was it?
    Louise gets this ability but according to 'memories' from at least 15 years in the future, not much else seems to have changed. I had the impression she was keeping this stuff to herself. Which seemed mostly odd.

I'd have preferred, at the end, to see some indication of the larger consequences of what occurred in the film, rather than the strictly personal day-dreamy life of the protagonist.. but I guess it is the story that it is.

It's not really a *SciFi* film in the usual sense. The aliens are just a backdrop and enabler for an emotional and personal story.

I liked it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

david75 wrote: »
    Exactly this.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that.
    They gave a gift, but to her it was also a curse in a way. It kind of ties to when she asked the military to ask someone else what the translation of the Sanskrit for war was or that weapon could have a double meaning.
    She had this knowledge and then went ahead with having a child that she knew would end in tragedy and then Renner left her most likely as he was angry she knew what would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    I saw it in Screen 1 of a multiplex on a Saturday night, couldn't have been more than a dozen people in there.
    Wonder will it be a financial flop.

I suspect a lot of people won't like it at all.
    I think it will perform respectably. IMDB says 50 mil budget and it opened to approx 25mil domestically in the US for its first weekend.

I went to the late show at 11pm last saturday, and normally it is empty, but it was half full for this which is quite good for a late night show in Cork

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Goodshape wrote: »
    Louise gets this ability but according to 'memories' from at least 15 years in the future, not much else seems to have changed. I had the impression she was keeping this stuff to herself. Which seemed mostly odd.

I'd have preferred, at the end, to see some indication of the larger consequences of what occurred in the film, rather than the strictly personal day-dreamy life of the protagonist.. but I guess it is the story that it is.

It's not really a *SciFi* film in the usual sense. The aliens are just a backdrop and enabler for an emotional and personal story.

I liked it a lot.

You, er, missed the bit about
    her publishing a book called The Universal Language in the future, with one of the heptapod words on the cover
    ;) The problem is that it raises a similar question to
    Dr Manhattan in Watchmen - if you are aware of how future events will happen, what are the implications of that for our conceptions of autonomy and free will? Which is a fascinating question, but very tricky to allude to in brief fragments, especially if it's happening as part of a wider cultural conversation rather than between a select group of individuals

It most definitely is science fiction, in that it's a comparatively grounded look at how a first-contact scenario with benevolent aliens might play out. For example, if Ursula Le Guin wrote an Earth-set first contact story I could imagine it turning out something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Went to see it at lunchtime yesterday with my son, we had the entire cinema to ourselves. Cinematography and sound were excellent. I enjoyed it, definitely thought provoking about the entire nature of language. Still, I preferred Interstellar. Won't be so popular amongst the teenagers, my young fella wasn't too bothered (the antithesis of ID2 basically). I wonder how President Trump would handle alien visitors?

5starpool wrote: »
    I really didn't like it. It was pretentious in the same way that Interstellar was, although this film didn't make me as angry as Interstellar did. There were so many stupid things about the last 30 mins or so of this film that left me shaking my head though. I was looking forward to seeing it, but came away thoroughly disappointed with the plot and indeed the big twist.

What aspects of the plot disappointed you, and what were you expecting/would you have preferred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

I didn't like. I really can't understand the hype at all. It was just so terribly boring. Adams looks spaced out of it on anti depressants for the whole thing and Renner never really gets involved. Maybe it was just the ponderous acting music etc that made the whole thing feel incredibly laboured. For me it just never achieves the "buy in" that is a necessity in a genre like this. My disbelief just never got suspended. I think the movie has absolutely no zip and therefore you just really don't care. Too arty and pretentious for my tastes perhaps. I saw it on a huge isense screen and it just never absorbed me. The twist at the end felt cheap.
    Also the heptapods were just ridiculous. They really ruined it for me. I mean they were octopuses really weren't they right down to their feckin ink 😂 A ridiculous sci-fi movie by any standard. By the way Interstellar is far superior to this even if they do both have the time travel "issue" which always leaves one with a bad taste in the mouth come the end credits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,720 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ever since Denis Villeneuve broke Hollywood, I've found all his films to be varying degrees of fascinating, but also varying degrees of not quite there. Arrival carries on this trend - but it's particularly fascinating and only a little short of being all there.

Like Sicario, it is hard to fault the stylistic accomplishments of the film. It maintains a truly individual tone throughout, emphasised by its assured cinematography and deeply integrated soundtrack. It's the sort of film that can make an establishing shot stand out - the arrival at base camp, for example, manages to articulate genuine scale, mystery, atmosphere and strange beauty. The scene immediately prior to that stood out too, where the characters attempt to hold a conversation on a helicopter. It was a curiously delivered scene in the moment (thanks in large part to the sound design) but looking back it's even more noteworthy for subtly establishing some of the key themes of challenging communication in what could have been just a fairly rote exposition sequence.

It is an ideas-rich film - weighed down by procedural stuff and exposition from time to time, but mostly confident in discussing and exploring many of the theories, themes and scientific ponderings it puts forward. What I found a bit of a shame was that it felt like the form and narrative weren't operating in total harmony at times (although the score does a great job throughout). Sometimes they were, and it was magnificent: the opening shots and
    its later repetition
    was a really effective visual of communicating what was happening without having to be explicitly told it. Would have loved to see more of that ala the sort of thing Shane Carruth does in his films. There are clearly a few concessions to commercial interests here though, not least a few more setpiece like sequences and
    the grander, 'saviour'-like arc given to Louise
    that work well enough but perhaps distract from the really interesting things. While there's definitely some fetching effects work here and some confident production design, the CG doesn't always keep up with what's meant to be happening (
    Adams entering the fog stands out, as unfortunately do the heptapods themselves
    ). It may seem strange to say about a very unusually sombre and restrained mainstream sci-fi movie, but I reckon this could have been even stronger if operating on a smaller scale again.

I went out and bought a copy of Story of Your Life the day after watching this, and that beautiful little short story really helped both reinforce both the strengths and weaknesses of the film. It goes far further with its ideas than the film - the consequences of Dr Banks' discovery are explored in much more theoretical depth; the science is considerably harder; the aliens and their language are more potently described; the narrative far less reliant on contrived tension. Particularly impressed at how much more deeply the revelations and
    time-defying 'time'line
    are woven into the story -
    story developments are played as much less explicit 'twists' and instead introduced earlier to allow them to grow and complicate

At the same time, it also highlighted how Arrival is a confident and interesting take on Chiang's story that is accessible in a very positive way. It is diluted in many respects, but it also retains many of the ideas and even performs its own riffs on them. It very much 'adapts' the story - sometimes for worse, but regularly for better too. It's not perfect - he's getting closer though! - but Arrival absolutely again suggests that Villeneuve is doing some really interesting and accomplished things within the limited remit of mid to high budget American cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

**SPOILERS FROM THIS POST ONWARDS**

Goodshape wrote: »

I liked it a lot.

I felt the aliens were the main story and I was really interested in why they were here as well as all the 'Earth has no leader, they all have to work together' aspect. My favourite scene was Louise breaking down the question 'What is your purpose on Earth'. It wasn't until the last half hour that I felt that was flipped and, as you said, the aliens became the backdrop. We never get to know what it is Earth helps the aliens with in 3,000 years. I was much more interested in the 'how do we communicate with the aliens' angle, Louise's personal arc didn't really do anything for me (at the time, I was impressed with the reveal and how that was done but a couple of days later I'm a bit indifferent towards it) and the whole time thing just left me very unsatisfied with no conclusive answers.

Number 1 at the UK box office this week

Obviously a suspension of disbelief is required for SF films, but the idea that an alien civilization would be advanced enough to master interstellar travel but not have figured out a suitable means of communicating with the species they're travelling to, beyond farting out some ink, is quite frankly, beyond preposterous.

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Obviously a suspension of disbelief is required for SF films, but the idea that an alien civilization would be advanced enough to master interstellar travel but not have figured out a suitable means of communicating with the species they're travelling to, beyond farting out some ink, is quite frankly, beyond preposterous.

Think you missed the point. Entirely.

david75 wrote:
    Think you missed the point. Entirely.

My post isn't about "the point", merely an observation on the ridiculousness of the central plot driver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement