Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arrival [**SPOILERS FROM POST 45 ONWARD**]

Options
  • 09-08-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

Taking place after alien crafts land around the world, an expert linguist is recruited by the military to determine whether they come in peace or are a threat.

Stars Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker. Out on November 11th.

It has a great aesthetic. I love the look of the alien ship. I hope the full trailer doesn't give away too much. Reminds me a bit of Contact (but hopefully without the crap ending) :)

With Denis Villeneuve as director, I have really high hopes.

Teaser trailer (full trailer next week):

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The full trailer is out now. This movie looks great.
    Well done to the editors for holding back.

I've started reading Ted Chiang's short story on which this is based (Story of your Life). Not bad, but pretty tough going. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

:D

Another full trailer came out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Looks great, well keep an eye on this one.

Final trailer. Doesn't look like any new footage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ok.

Saw this last night. Couldn't even process immediately after. So walked home.

Caveat. Can't talk about any story element of the film at all without spoiling it all entirely.
    Cast are all brilliant except for the green arrow or whoever he is mutant guy that stars in avengers? He was annoying and was meant to be but he didn't gel for me with a cast that were totally in tune apart from him.

Overall? As a comparison, i was so totally excited for the release of force awakens? I felt that level of excitement for this film, after having seen it
    I've never seen anything done quite like this, but so well and in such a original and brilliantly way. It does not do what you think or what the trailers lead you to think, at all

After that i can't say anything else about it without ruining it. Other than I need to see it another 4/5 times to really absorb and figure out...everything.

It's so good. Make sure you see it in cinema. Really Makes all the difference For this one. Deffo seeing this a few more times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The Cinema a must? Really?

Hrmmm.. must try and do that so.

Cos like.. I know it's supposed to be a great story and really well thought out, I didn't think it would have Must-See big screen elements. Must re-evaluate.

Slydice wrote: »
    The Cinema a must? Really?

Hrmmm.. must try and do that so.

Cos like.. I know it's supposed to be a great story and really well thought out, I didn't think it would have Must-See big screen elements. Must re-evaluate.

Everything is more powerful on the big screen. Certainly elements of this film do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The trailer looked decent but wasn't expecting much.

But word of mouth (incl David above) and reviews like this have me bloody excited.
    The time to pull this stuff apart probably isn’t two months before Arrival’s UK release, so let’s just say the food for thought on offer here is Michelin-star-worthy. It turns an already beautiful, provocative allegory into the kind of science-fiction that can bump your whole worldview off balance. This is riveting, dizzying stuff from Villeneuve, and another early peak in a thunderously exciting year at the Venice Film Festival.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/09/01/arrival-is-science-fiction-at-is-most-beautiful-and-provocative/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Saw in in the Screen Unseen slot tonight.
    Loved it. I think it may have gone over the heads of some of the audience though, who on leaving the cinema sounded a bit confused.

• Advertisement

Yeah I can see how it might do that. I definitely left with questions but only more excited to see it again to hopefully get the answers. Loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I know so many people who've seen the bloody thing now and they're all whispering away to one another on whatsapp whilst I'm sitting here, Arrival-less for at least another week.

first-world-prob-header.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84,969 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

quad_red wrote: »
    I know so many people who've seen the bloody thing now and they're all whispering away to one another on whatsapp whilst I'm sitting here, Arrival-less for at least another week.

first-world-prob-header.jpg

Looks to be out here next weekend

With this and Nocturnal Animals, Amy Adams could be the favourite for an Oscar next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This didn't live up to the hype for me. It is very good and I liked how it panned out, but it was too slow and ponderous for my liking and there were some big questions left unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I loved it! But there were quite a few kids at my screening. I'd say their parents thought, oh it's another aliens/superhero movie, perfect!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really liked this, it's science fiction in the vein of Contact (the closest film I could think of) but with a bit more...stylistic flair, perhaps? I thought the sound and visual design was good, and helped to sell the strangeness of the situation. The narrative is played out nicely, and I thought that the story comes together very nicely - without feeling too overly-narrated, but also not leaving any significant unresolved elements. There are a couple of exposition-heavy moments with Whitaker's character, but they're pretty minimal.

Aside from the teaser I managed to avoid watching any of the main trailers for this, which I think made scenes like
    the vertical tunnel where gravity shifts, or the first view of what the aliens look like
    more effective.

If you have seen or read much science-fiction, the story isn't exactly new territory - but I think it is mostly a well-executed exploration of its themes, with a great central performance from Amy Adams (Renner is alright, but I've never considered him to be much more than alright in any role, so YMMV).

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Arrival - 9/10

A genuinely intelligent Sci-fi film that is both challenging and spectacular in equal measure. Like all of the best films in this genre, this is stunning to look at, has a magnificent soundscape, ponders philosophical questions and tackles modern day issues.

Probably most comparable with the likes of Contact or Close Encounters. I had avoided all trailers/press so went in not knowing what to expect. Made my experience all the more better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Incredible!
    And has to be seen in the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I thought it great up until a certain point and then they took the easy way out leaving a wortless ending.

From that point I couldn't believe how convenient everything was.

This movie is well over hyped.
    *Oh, someone that can see the future and knows exactly what to do. well isn't that convenient and handy for the writers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

I liked it.

Definitely one for the cinema, but more for the soundscapes than the visuals.
    Genuinely affecting in places, felt quite slow and unrushed without being plodding.

Need a couple of days to get my head around it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A wonderful film.
    Possibly one of my favourites of the year.
    The final arc, revelation and the realisation in my mind of the consequences were breath taking.
    As a parent, who had brought his son with him, it just shook me.
    Been a long time since any film did that.
    Unfortunately, as a genre movie, it's unlikely to get a nod at the Oscars, but Adams deserves one for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I can't stop thinking about it and it's a long time since a film has done that to me

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Beautiful film. I loved it.

Amy Adams was great. Renner's role could have been bigger. I'd like to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Excellent film. 9/10 for me
    Spot on acting, directing and editing.
    Not a bad word to say about it .I was really glad I didn't watch too many trailers etc.

However I think this is the type of film that will be far more appreciated by some than others.

I expect most of the complaints to come from those who went to it expecting more action or more of a standard scifi alien flick.

I would watch this again today if I had the opportunity, hope it gets the box office figures it deserves as its the type of film that is getting hard to make these days

I'm going to see it again today and feel I'll want to see it again after that. It's just so good.
    Sadly I have friends who are nah aliens and sci fi. Not interested. Can't even begin to explain it's not that in any way at all. Their loss I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm reading an article by Stephen Wolfram, creator of Mathematica and author of A New Kind Of Science, about his work on the science side of the production. His son was also involved with coding the visuals, and Stephen wrote a piece called Quick, How Might the Alien Spacecraft Work?. This appears to be a change from the original title, "I had one night to invent interstellar travel". He says there are no spoilers in there - I haven't seen the movie so can't comment. It's great reading for some background in to the graphics, with some being generated by real code live.

PS the bit near the end about the whiteboard is fun, and he explains all the maths that appears on it, as well as the need to work around Amy Adams' hair ...

PPS Wolfram describes the shape of the spaceship as a "rattleback": this is a solid object that can only spin in one direction, and refuses to spin in the other direction. Which sounds physically impossible, but I had a chance to play with one at the Science Museum earlier this year, and there are videos such as this.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Best movie I've seen this year so far (and I go 1-2 times a week).

I predict Oscar nominations for Amy, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

Gobsmacked. I will see it again before it leaves the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

While I don't think its say as good as Interstellar (though I'm probably alone in thinking Interstellar is one of the greatest films ever; weird criticism I know) I thought this was a brilliant, original, highly creative movie which is possibly the best film I've seen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i loved it , kind of reminded me of a few sci fi movies , contact , monsters , 2001
    soundtrack was really good too

• Advertisement

Great to see people are loving it. I recommend seeing a monster calls when it's out in January. It's nothing like Arrival but has that same not afraid to be honest /brave but this time about grief and loss. Whole cinema was crying by the end.

Advertisement