Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a member of An Garda Síochána

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Hey, great respect for you and your former colleagues. Just a quick couple a questions please.

1) Do you think Travllers get unfairly victimised by either AGS, the media or the public?(or all 3)

2) I've lived abroad and certainly notice more of a police presence on average in Australia(all armed again) and New Zealand(also don't carry guns routinely but all have firearms training and have firearms in each squad car for use)
    - Do you know anyone that left AGS to join another police force and if so did you find out how did it compare to AGS?
    -Would you consider joining a different police force(Aus or NZ ete) seeing as they seem to have better numbers and equipment(proper fast cars v8 cars :) for one. Not to mention theny seems to be getting fairer salaries.

Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

On Pulse and IT equipment in general in the Gardaí, just how out of date and unuser friendly are they?

I've reported things at a station in the past (lost passport was one) and they were recorded in a book. Are they updated to Pulse at some stage?

Do you get really pissed off when a judge let's someone off on a technicality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I was always brought up to respect the uniform, but that the person in the uniform has to earn my respect.

From reading your answers to questions already asked, I can see that you got in to the job for the right reasons, and left the job similarly.

You, Sir, have my respect. Thank you for your years of service.

One thing though. Is it enough for AGS to be seen in the community, or should they do more to be part of the community? What ways would you see as being important for AGS to engage with a community in a meaningful, positive way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Thanks for answering all the Q's. This is one of the best AMA. Many, many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Who is this Mr.Fog I have been told about?

I was heading down the N11 last December and was pulled over for speeding. I'm not joking, this is what he said to me "what would have you done if you came around that corner at that speed and met Mr. Fog? "

Who is this Fog fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Who is this Mr.Fog I have been told about?

I was heading down the N11 last December and was pulled over for speeding. I'm not joking, this is what he said to me "what would have you done if you came around that corner at that speed and met Mr. Fog? "

Who is this Fog fella?

Fog I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I support the Garda claim for pay restoration - you guys do a good job and deserve a decent living standard

• Company Representative Posts: 9 Verified rep I'm a Garda, AMA

Hello folks. I had come on here to answer a few more questions, and actually had but lost them with the verification screen. But I've since got a message from another user on here who is being "blamed" for this thread. Also, it's after getting more popular than I had thought. So, to save this other user any issues, and because I don't want to be part of an investigation, i'm going to have to leave it here.

Thank you to Boards for allowing me to do this. Thank you for all the positive messages and thanks I've received. Even though I haven't thanked anyone in this, I am grateful for all of it. And I just want to leave ye with this:

I do not regret working for AGS. It is a fantastic organization with amazing people in it. I felt I became part of a family, made some really close relationships, and that I was making a difference for a while. While the decision to leave was a very hard one, it's one I had to make for myself. I honestly believe that AGS as a whole is a fantastic service, one which most people wouldn't even dream of doing. It's a very hard job, the hardest I've had. It can be difficult in the current climate to be positive in the job, and the strike is a clear indication of how strongly members of Garda rank feel about the pitiful treatment by the Government to the men and women on the frontline, and not just in AGS, but all frontline emergency service personnel. They are a bunch of well educated, smart, patient people (contrary to popular belief).

And remember, that Garda is just a person, like you and me, doing a very difficult job in a unknown time, with an unknown future. AGS is going to change a lot in the coming years, and I have so much respect for those able to keep going and drudge through. Thank you again for your questions, and i'm sorry I can't keep going, but the fear of being investigated for some offence which I probably haven't heard of is too much. I wish all my colleagues the best in the future, and I emplore you (and me), the public, to remember that while the Garda might come across as a bit of a prick, usually they're not that way, and are currently that way for a number of reasons. It's hard to stay professional when you don't believe your back is covered, but the majority are decent, honest people just trying to make a living and make a difference in this lovely little country.

Peace out!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this and answer so many questions, it's been an eye opener and an education. If you decide to come back at a later stage to answer any of the remaining questions, we'll happily re-open the thread for you.
    But I've since got a message from another user on here who is being "blamed" for this thread.
    If the user who was being "blamed" could report the PM they (presumably) received from another user, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement