Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Millionaires

• 17-10-2016 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

What do you think of millionaires/billionaires?

An awful lot of them will say "I worked my way to get where I am!" - well, yes you may very well get the odd few instances but on the whole I reckon the bloody lot of them (bar a few) had it handed to them, or got lucky (maybe something took off luckily at a particular time) - some may be very clever, some may be crooks or have done illegal / criminal things to become a millionaire, some might have been born into it.

If some people have claimed that they started off with a quid selling apples (the fruit not the computers lol) on a street corner and no other help.... have they really, come on!

and these ones that say they have "worked" for it, have they really worked... you know, god their hands dirty and all that .

What do you reckon, do you reckon a lot of rich people spin out a yarn of Bullsh1t most of the time? maybe feeling guilty in the sense that they have to explain to us poor mortal phlebs how they got to be rich?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Amanda Square Matting

No more than people who expect to live a life of luxury but are horrified at the thoughts of a day's work.

Don't begrudge people with money, nor do I begrudge kids of people with money benefitting from their parents success.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I do :D

You cannot tell me that the majority of kids who's parents are rich are very grounded or ever know what 'real' life is like for other kids that are not born into a well off family. - well, you might get a few rich kids that might grow up and do some charity work maybe , but then so do poorer kids do too. - I have seen a lot of spoilt kids where they have been born into money and know no different other than living a rich lifestyle and get everything bought for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You cannot tell me that the majority of kids who's parents are rich are very grounded or ever know what 'real' life is like for other kids that are not born into a well off family. - well, you might get a few rich kids that might grow up and do some charity work maybe , but then so do poorer kids do too. - I have seen a lot of spoilt kids where they have been born into money and know no different other than living a rich lifestyle and get everything bought for them

Myself and Lexie are both millionaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Two of my best friends are millionaires. Several times over. One very clever, one really hard working. Both prepared to take risks. Neither born into money. Both extremely decent people. Neither live extravagantly, with satisfaction in the work seeming to be their main driving force.

So, anecdotally, neither fit your implied stereotype, and fair play to them both.

As an aside, I once bumped into Martin Naughton (of Dimplex fame) and his wife while away on holiday. He's one of the countries billionaires. You'd never know it to talk to him. Very ordinary and down to earth conversation over a glass of wine in the hotel garden. We only got talking because we recognised each other as 'Paddies Abroad'.

Imagine the size of the shoulder chips you could buy if only your parents had been wealthy...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd be happy with €1000 lol

I hate closeted well off people who say things like 'I hate being poor or how can I afford this' while they show off there brand new phone after in there 2016 car that daddy bought for them as a surprise

I wonder do the stinking rich people such as royal family's knw what money is (u knw what I'm trying to say)

endacl wrote: »
    Two of my best friends are millionaires. Several times over. One very clever, one really hard working. Both prepared to take risks. Neither born into money. Both extremely decent people. Neither live extravagantly, with satisfaction in the work seeming to be their main driving force.

So, anecdotally, neither fit your implied stereotype, and fair play to them both.

As an aside, I once bumped into Martin Naughton (of Dimplex fame) and his wife while away on holiday. He's one of the countries billionaires. You'd never know it to talk to him. Very ordinary and down to earth conversation over a glass of wine in the hotel garden. We only got talking because we recognised each other as 'Paddies Abroad'.

funny you should say that because I think there are differences between UK millionaires and Irish Millionaires , with the Irish much more down to earth. But it doesnt just end there , people just dont feel a phased by millionaires or things like TV stars and musicians/pop stars in Ireland as they do in the UK say. In Sligo very reguarly we get Kian Egan and other members of westlife walking round town, shopping in local shops and not many are really phased about it and they are down to earth... do you think they could do that in the UK (even though they 'retired' ages ago) they would get mobbed! - and I think its this kind of attitude that keeps maybe millionaires and families of millionaires more grounded maybe in Ireland - thats why most probably yer man from Dimplex was down the earth and grounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Holograph

Of course self made millionaires/billionaires have worked hard/got their hands dirty. It's bizarre to consider that they haven't. Even with good luck (and that is hardly something to begrudge) very hard work would also be vital.

That's not to say that there aren't millionaires/billionaires who get where they do via exploitation of others.

Someone born into such wealth - well that's just who they are, they can't help what they're born into!

Make your mind up Andy. Are they bull5hitters or decent people? We're not even ten posts in yet.

Trump :D

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Make your mind up Andy. Are they bull5hitters or decent people? We're not even ten posts in yet.

give me a break - Im confused :rolleyes:

Myself and Lexie are both millionaires.

Rich kids of Boards.ie

Wanna take some selfies in daddy's Bentley?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Statistically the biggest indicator as to whether or not you'll be rich is if your parents were rich. Even if they don't give you money they give you an upbringing which gives to the skills/drive/contacts to make money.

(not all rich people were born rich, just a lot of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Rich people don't pay enough tax.

Now I know they pay more tax than anyone else, but's it's still not nearly enough.

It should just be accepted that when you start making millions it's almost pointless as so much will be taken back in tax.

Then raise the minimum wage with that tax.

People will then actually have an incentive to work and small businesses would earn more too as there would be more disposable income around.

A cross between communism and capitalism is what is needed.

Are you with me people?

See my problem with that is kids are born into whatever situation their parents have made for them. If someone is well off, why shouldn't they have children? I mean the kids will be looked after, and secure, with the chance to get the very best from life. Isn't that most people want to do for their children?

Similarly you'll have poor people, extremely hard working, who will put everything they have into making sure their kids get the best chances at life as possible.

Then you'll have the poor mouths crying about their Xmas bonus and how Santa will have to bring little Chantelle an iPhone 5 and not the iPhone 7 she wanted because they don't get their extra week. I think sometimes the poor kids can grow up just as entitled as you're perceiving the rich kids to be.

As long as the parents are teaching their kids a strong work ethic, that's the main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I know one who genuinely started from nothing, worked his way up. now owns a good few petrol stations, has a nice car and treats his wife to nice things but lives in a normal house and lives a relatively normal life.

it takes ambition and hard work/long hours.

Big divide/gap still between rich and poor - I would like to see that gap closed, but then in the other hand if someone has got rich through hard work I suppose why should they have to be forced to help the poor. I think once you have gone over a certain threshold of richness (is that even a word?) Then life just gets easier and easier naturally and this is why the rich get richer!

Big divide/gap still between rich and poor - I would like to see that gap closed, but then in the other hand if someone has got rich through hard work I suppose why should they have to be forced to help the poor. I think once you have gone over a certain threshold of richness (is that even a word?) Then life just gets easier and easier naturally and this is why the rich get richer!

But people are unwilling to close it for themselves. Unwilling to finish school, or go to college, or take a full time job. It's nice to dream. Live the good life, having lots of money to spend without having to work but that's not how these things go. Also, money isn't everything.

But people are unwilling to close it for themselves. Unwilling to finish school, or go to college, or take a full time job. It's nice to dream. Live the good life, having lots of money to spend without having to work but that's not how these things go. Also, money isn't everything.

I'm 41 and skint. I have two degrees, a masters and a HDip.

I'm well below the poverty line. I have no savings because I've spent every penny on education. I have loans because I got loans for education.

I did all my degrees and masters in full time education whilst working full time in a junior level corporate position. I worked my ass off in that job as did all my coworkers. Being rich or well off isn't just a matter of working hard. You need to have a break. You need to have someone help you.

People who do well tend to think that they did it all themselves. It's very rarely that way. They've all had parents/family/supervisors/mentors who looked out for them.

And money isn't everything but it helps. It would mean that I wasn't at the mercy of a landlord. It would mean that I could afford to have any type of social life. It would mean that I wouldn't have to worry about old age.

People need to realise that people who earn less than them aren't lazy, they aren't stupid and they aren't lacking ambition. They work just as hard, are just as smart and want to progress just as much as everyone else. They just weren't lucky enough to get the same breaks.

Grayson wrote: »

I'm well below the poverty line. I have no savings because I've spent every penny on education. I have loans because I got loans for education.

I did all my degrees and masters in full time education whilst working full time in a junior level corporate position. I worked my ass off in that job as did all my coworkers. Being rich or well off isn't just a matter of working hard. You need to have a break. You need to have someone help you.

People who do well tend to think that they did it all themselves. It's very rarely that way. They've all had parents/family/supervisors/mentors who looked out for them.

And money isn't everything but it helps. It would mean that I wasn't at the mercy of a landlord. It would mean that I could afford to have any type of social life. It would mean that I wouldn't have to worry about old age.

People need to realise that people who earn less than them aren't lazy, they aren't stupid and they aren't lacking ambition. They work just as hard, are just as smart and want to progress just as much as everyone else. They just weren't lucky enough to get the same breaks.

Do you think that now you've invested so much into your career/future, that things will get much better for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I work for a wealth management company and all of our clients are millionaires many times over. Some worked for it, some inherited it. They're all decent people.

But all of them owe their fortune to a certain amount of luck. That's obvious for those who inherited their wealth. But even the ones who didn't start off as millionaires had some luck. They also had brains and business acumen and a strong work ethic, but those things alone don't make you a millionaire. There are many smart, hard working people in the world who will never be millionaires - they won't even get close. Some people don't like hearing that, but it's true. Just like all the talent in the world won't make you a famous actor or singer. You need luck and connections.
    Many of our clients had the good fortune to be on the ground floor of what are now huge, global companies. Some were actual founders, but some weren't - they just took a chance on a start-up and it worked out for them in a big way.
    And those who were founders, well, they got a break when someone loaned them the money to start a new business in the first place. Now in fairness, many of them repay that these days by investing their money into new businesses. But A. what else are you going to do with all of that money and B. if it works out, that's even more money for them. The secret to making a lot of money is to already have a lot of money to invest in other projects. Success begets success. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

and these ones that say they have "worked" for it, have they really worked... you know, god their hands dirty and all that .

You realise hard work doesn't have to mean working on a farm or laying blocks? There's nothing easy about people working almost 24/7 to make it big and when they do they shouldn't be stereotyped either.

You can start from "poor" and become rich. And you get rich (legitimately at least, being a criminal I don't count) through one of 3 things:

1. You work hard
    2. You're born into wealth (and you can hardly blame someone for their parents being wealthy anyway?)
    3. You win the EuroMillions

Neither of those is something to be annoyed with a person for, it just stems from jealousy... but honestly if you want riches and success go work for it. And obviously if you're a drug Lord, then **** them, they don't deserve their wealth.

I work for a wealth management company and all of our clients are millionaires many times over. Some worked for it, some inherited it. They're all decent people.

But all of them owe their fortune to a certain amount of luck. That's obvious for those who inherited their wealth. But even the ones who didn't start off as millionaires had some luck. They also had brains and business acumen and a strong work ethic, but those things alone don't make you a millionaire. There are many smart, hard working people in the world who will never be millionaires - they won't even get close. Some people don't like hearing that, but it's true. Just like all the talent in the world won't make you a famous actor or singer. You need luck and connections.
    Many of our clients had the good fortune to be on the ground floor of what are now huge, global companies. Some were actual founders, but some weren't - they just took a chance on a start-up and it worked out for them in a big way.
    And those who were founders, well, they got a break when someone loaned them the money to start a new business in the first place. Now in fairness, many of them repay that these days by investing their money into new businesses. But A. what else are you going to do with all of that money and B. if it works out, that's even more money for them. The secret to making a lot of money is to already have a lot of money to invest in other projects. Success begets success. :)

I can't remember who said it but apparently the first million is the hardest. After that it gets far easier to make money because you can just invest.

Do you think that now you've invested so much into your career/future, that things will get much better for you?

Hopefully. It's a weird situation I'm in. If I had a job then the education would have been worth it. Since I don't have a job the education is still costing me money I can't afford.

I have another phone interview tomorrow. So fingers crossed I'll get something. I'd like to be my own boss but you need at least some of your own seed cash to get it off the ground so maybe in a few years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

I'm well below the poverty line. I have no savings because I've spent every penny on education.

What are your degrees and masters in? Did you enter into education with a view to attaining marketable skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Becoming a millionaire, in this era, is not overly complicated... Billionaire, now that takes work!

The trick is making sure you don't have a lifestyle that costs millions to maintain...

If you have a solid dependable job, job security, savings, investments and credit-free physical assets... Now millionaire status is not only realistically attainable, but relatively easy to maintain and grow from there!

During the boom many "average" people reached millionaire status. However their wealth was tied up - much of it in unreliable investments or depreciating asserts.

The boom and subsequent bust was an orchastrated collapse to help certain people achieve rapid wealth... Those aware of this fact, made an absolute killing... But much of that wealth will get spread around again in the future, so no need to begrudge the wealthy... Just do what you MUST in order to join them!

The world right now, is like one giant game of poker... You can lose a hand or two, but still come out a big winner if you hold your nerve! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I know quite a few actually, Some of them worked there way right up the ladder from nothing and some were born into it, All very decent people imo, There is one of them who still has his communion money and wouldn't spend Christmas with anyone, but that's more down to his own demons than being a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

I have another phone interview tomorrow. ..

Best of luck ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Most successful people love what they do and therefore the supposed hard work they had to get to where they are is not actually hard work.

I had an uncle who was worth over £50million and he worked really hard (and got a fair bit of luck) to get where he got to but he also absolutely loved his work and therefore it wasn't as much work for him.

The greatest thing in the world to be born with is a passion for something that can earn you a great living.Most people aren't lucky enough to be born with a love for something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

Most civil servants are millionaires. When you account for their pensions.

Advertisement