Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atlanta - Donald Glover [FX]

• 09-09-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Watched the first episode (first two are available) of Donald's Glover new FX series last night..

Not completely sold on it... some of it is very funny, and then some of it just went over my head completely (
    guy on bus asking to take a bite of the sandwich
    ).

Not a big rap fan so don't know how much of it is meant to appeal to that community. I'll stick with it for now though.

Anyone else watch it?

Comments

I really enjoyed it. It might be because I have a soft spot in my heart for Glover and for the music. Some of it was very funny, "This is going up on World Star Hiphop!", "No, it's not". It feels like it could be building up to something good, with a lot of background stuff going on that will be explained over time.

I loved the whole deja vu sequence with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

"It's Twin Peaks for rappers" - Donald Glover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

i've been humming Paperboy since I watched it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Didn't really enjoy it. Flicked ahead after 10 minutes just to see how the opening scene played out.

I loved it. I could use some subtitles at times though. The guy in the prison waiting room was impossible to understand but maybe that was the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭terminator74

I loved this, found it subtle and engaging. Episode 2 was excellent especially the scene where he's waiting for bail. A lot of hip-hop references that I didn't fully get but will stick with this for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Watched the first three episodes now and I've found it very funny. The sandwich on the bus was pretty weird and went over my head also but there are some really clever and funny moments throughout.

In fairness to Glover, he's an actor and writer in his own right (see Community and 30 Rock respectively). Engaging with the rap angle isn't that important, I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Watched the first 4 episodes and really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

This is just so clever and a really well made show

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I go a bit on and off on episodes, but last night's was fantastic. Couldn't stop laughing throughout it, and yet, it's still delivering an intelligent message at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Last episode felt like a tribute to the Eric Andre show. It was great.

That joke in the background in the second last scene was outstanding

Brilliant episode. Can't understand how this show ain't getting more coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The bit with the car at the end caught me completely and I was in bits for a good 10 minutes after. Very fun ep. The promoter was gas.

Watched the season finale just now.
    Overall a very good season and looking forward to season 2 already.
    Some good comedic moments but plenty of dramatic scenes that kept the show engaging and I really like the 3 leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Ekels wrote: »
    The sandwich on the bus was pretty weird and went over my head
    "It's Twin Peaks for rappers" - Donald Glover.
    ATLsandwich.png
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Watched the entire 1st season over the weekend. Really good show and love the random wacky things thrown in (Bieber, invisible automobiles etc)
    Glover is one multi talented fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Won two Golden Globes. For best comedy and best comedy actor (Glover).

I think B.A.N. is my favourite episode. I've watched it back three times and it still makes me laugh. So many aspects of the racially-confused teen are just hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Going through the first season now. Thought it was pretty ok until episode 7. Twas f*cking hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Going through the first season now. Thought it was pretty ok until episode 7. Twas f*cking hilarious :D

Exactly the same here, didnt think it was much up until episode 6 but then it kinda found its rhythm. Episode 8 (The Club) got a good few loud laughs from me.

Its very well made and looks great, Darius and Paperboi being my 2 highlights.

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a slow burner but worth sticking with.Looking back probably my favorite show from last year.

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFX/status/949359314027782144?s=09

Cryptic tweet think it means we're back on 1st March :D

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFX/status/949359314027782144?s=09

Cryptic tweet think it means we're back on 1st March :D

Back filming?
    Glover was/is tied up with the Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

yabadabado wrote: »
    Back filming?
    Glover was/is tied up with the Star Wars.
    No, it was filmed last September / October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

Confirmed here that it's the premiere date. Can't wait for it.
    “Atlanta’s” sophomore season, which is being titled “Atlanta Robbin’ Season,” will premiere Thursday, March 1 at 10pm.
    In “Atlanta Robbin’ Season,” two cousins (Donald Glover and Brian Tyree Henry) work through the Atlanta music scene in order to better their lives and the lives of their families. Donald Glover serves as executive producer, along with Paul Simms, Dianne McGunigle and Stephen Glover. The critically acclaimed first season of “Atlanta,” which hails from FX Productions, won Emmy Awards for best comedy and best lead actor, two Golden Globes, among other major kudos.

Deadly.
    It's all about the paper boy!

Bump.

It's back :cool:

Still class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yesterday's episode about the piano was bat**** crazy. Season 2 has been superb so far, nothing really like it on tv at the moment

Advertisement