Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much wine to you drink?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Most people can drink a lot more than the weekly recommended limits without any issues. The problem is that some people may have underlying issues which would make alcohol more damaging to them. The limits are the maximum known safe level for these people. In reality it takes a hell of a lot to cause liver damage in a healthy person. Making sure to have at least 2 consecutive alcohol free days a week is important to allow the liver to recover. Or so I've read.

I probably drink 1- 2 bottles of wine a week over 2 or 3 evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Rezident wrote: »
    You hate people who like things that you don't like? How open-minded of you!

Go and ask me flute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Drank three bottles of white out of a pint glass. Ended up getting sick on the carpet, passing out and then being revived so that we could head to the pub!

Are you Sam Allardyce? Sympathies on your recent sacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How much wine do you drink, indeed.

None of your business. I'm here about the rash!

Sir, you don't have a rash, it's a red wine stain from persistent consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Shenshen wrote: »
    I find alcohol consumption in this country is treated like speeding on the roads : People who drive slower than me are holding everybody up, and people who drive faster are reckless speeders.
    People who drink less than me a dry shoites, and people who drink more obviously have a problem ;)

Good analogy!

• Advertisement

I used to relax every evening with a bottle of wine, sometimes two. Nipped that in the bud, and now I might have a bottle of wine on a Saturday night. Now I tend to have kopperberg during the week if I'm going to drink.
    Jrop wrote: »
    I'm no angel I was drinking a bottle of wine every night and two at the weekends. I'm trying hard to cut down as I know it's not good for me

A bottle of wine is so much to drink by yourself every evening! :eek: I'm quite drunk after a bottle of vino and I'd definitely by hungover the next day.
    Interesting. Although given the age group I assume it's massive binge drinking on nights out that's more likely to be their problem than flopping in front of the telly with a bottle of wine every night.

Nah, wine is potent. A good feed of it every night would not be good. If more middle-aged women are presenting with liver problems as Tropheus said, that's more likely to be down to the daily evening wine than binging at the weekend.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    None, because all wine tastes like cack regardless of how expensive it is, white/red/rose whatever

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Elliott S wrote: »
    Agreed.

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Buy your wine in a box.

Guilt free, you've no idea how much is gone until the tap stops giving.

And then you take the inside out of the box and squeeze it for the last few glasses.

And then if you blow it up it turns into a little pillow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Jodotman wrote: »
    Give me gin any day.

I like what Dylan Moran said about gin: "Not so much a drink as a mascara thinner"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I'm arseholed on Douro.. I haven't read the thread I'd better go to bed as I have work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It's also fairly cheap compared to other alcoholic drinks, but sure we should push up the price of cheap beer...

Not in Ireland its not , Wine was hammered more than any other beverage in the budgets during the bad times and is certainly dearer than beer or spirits to drink at home.

A bottle of wine is essentially four drinks , you can but most branded Beers Your Guinness and Heineken etc for 1.50-170 a can so ~ €6-€7 equivalent a bottle.
    But that equivalent in wine is closer to €9-€10 a bottle , and while you can buy cheaper wine you can buy cheaper beer too and regularly get some form of Phish at €1 a can but what wine can you buy at €4 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wine smells like urine. Absolutely horrible stuff.

Give me gin any day.

I'd find other, less mean, drinking buddies :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Not in Ireland its not , Wine was hammered more than any other beverage in the budgets during the bad times and is certainly dearer than beer or spirits to drink at home.

A bottle of wine is essentially four drinks , you can but most branded Beers Your Guinness and Heineken etc for 1.50-170 a can so ~ €6-€7 equivalent a bottle.
    But that equivalent in wine is closer to €9-€10 a bottle , and while you can buy cheaper wine you can buy cheaper beer too and regularly get some form of Phish at €1 a can but what wine can you buy at €4 a bottle.

Agree.
    You cant find a nice wine on a budget.
    I find its better to wait for a special offer and buy a few.

I live in London and my local tesco would generally sell a bottle of Hardys Red for £7.50 but about twice a month they do a special of two bottles for £9. So id buy a few then.

Agree.
    You cant find a nice wine on a budget.
    I find its better to wait for a special offer and buy a few.

I live in London and my local tesco would generally sell a bottle of Hardys Red for £7.50 but about twice a month they do a special of two bottles for £9. So id buy a few then.

As I said I'm not a big wine drinker and can't stand red but I do enjoy some white wines and one from aldi that only costs a few euro is very nice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

As I said I'm not a big wine drinker and can't stand red but I do enjoy some white wines and one from aldi that only costs a few euro is very nice imo.

Non wine drinker's wine is a bit of coloured water and usually called Pinot Grigio. Wines with a bit of substance are more expensive to produce and very often disliked by non wine drinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

This is true, but at off license prices, I think both drinks are very affordable to get drunk on.

This may be a female issue but I personally would view wine as a very cheap, expedient way to get drunk.

I can't drink that many beers, at least not at the same pace that I could get through a bottle of wine if I was so inclined. With beer, I'd be up and down to the toilet every 5 minutes from my 2nd drink onwards but I could drink a lot more wine without slowing down.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Non wine drinker's wine is a bit of coloured water and usually called Pinot Grigio. Wines with a bit of substance are more expensive to produce and very often disliked by non wine drinkers.

Well Pinot Grigio is by far the nicest type of wine in fairness. I think twice about having wine if it's not available (unless it's free, I'll drink any white wine if its free).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think it's meant to be safer to spread your drinking out over the week, than to abstain all week and then drink your fourteen units over one or two evenings.

ETA Not saying either of the above posters do that, but I know people who do and think they're drinking safely.

Studies have shown no real difference to your liver but that you feel better and more productive as a person having several clean days in a row .

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32798569

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02r9rx0

Also personal experience it would be easier to limit myself to 21 units in one day than over several days as i am guilty of getting a real goo on me for more pints after having one or two, and when it comes to wine once the bottle is opened it very hard not to have a little more.
    I am your quintessential binger , i do not drink every week closer to every 3 weeks but then I rip the absolute hell out of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Wine smells like urine. Absolutely horrible stuff.

Give me gin any day.

Gin tastes like aftershave.

Give me vodka any day :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Gin tastes like aftershave.

Give me vodka any day :P

Vodka tastes like paint stripper.

Give me a stripper any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Niamhy_Li

Winterlong wrote: »
    Practice makes perfect I find.

That was enough practice to last me a life time the wine just kept hitting me more and more. Trying to do the weekly shop and then stumbling down the street to my mothers drunk as a skunk mid afternoon wasn't one of my finer moments.

It's only when I woke up later I realized how drunk I actually was never again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Niamhy_Li wrote: »
    That was enough practice to last me a life time the wine just kept hitting me more and more. Trying to do the weekly shop and then stumbling down the street to my mothers drunk as a skunk mid afternoon wasn't one of my finer moments.

It's only when I woke up later I realized how drunk I actually was never again!!

There are some drinks that I can have without any bother.

But others are very bad news for me.
    Spirits for me are what wine are to you. The smell of them will cause me to black out, go a bit nuts, entertain and offend people in equal measure, get in a scrape......and then wake up the next day still drunk and oblivious to what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sometimes I won't drink any alcohol for weeks, but when I do it is usually just one glass of red wine. My preferred drink is non alcoholic...tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sometimes I won't drink any alcohol for weeks, but when I do it is usually just one glass of red wine. My preferred drink is non alcoholic...tea.

I'm guessing that few people drink wine (or any alcohol) purely and simply for the taste though. Apart from the genuine alcoholics among us, I'd also think that most of us will get up in a morning and drink tea or coffee or OJ or whatever, but would be unwilling/unable to drink wine, beer or vodka with our breakfast.

If I could only have one or two units of alcohol at a time, then I'd probably never bother. I'd much rather drink coffee in that situation (eg if I'm driving, or if there's somehow just one can of cider left in the fridge).

Does anyone who regularly drinks wine ever just stop after half a glass and think "Yeah, that was great!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If I could only have one or two units of alcohol at a time, then I'd probably never bother. I'd much rather drink coffee in that situation (eg if I'm driving, or if there's somehow just one can of cider left in the fridge).

Does anyone who regularly drinks wine ever just stop after half a glass and think "Yeah, that was great!"

That's pretty much the only way I drink these days. As a teenager and college student I used to drink with the sole intention of getting drunk. Nowadays I'll have a bottle or two of nice beer or a glass of wine occasionally, like maybe once a fortnight-ish, just to enjoy the drinking of it. I don't really enjoy getting drunk anymore, I prefer to have my wits about me and full control of my faculties. Horses for courses I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Shenshen wrote: »
    Some friends here tell me they have no problem getting through a bottle in a single evening, and I find that astounding to say the least.

A bottle has about six glasses in it. Given how easy a nice wine is to drink, and the low volume being drunk...(isn't a whole bottle less than two pints of liquid?)...I don't find it astounding at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Can't drink wine at all. I just don't like the taste.

I'm very boring with my taste in drink. I'll either have vodka and 7up or coke only, cant stand red bull or a bottle of beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Define "regular".
    I would have said I regularly drink wine, but it's a glass once a week or once every other week. And yes, it would be just one small glass usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well Pinot Grigio is by far the nicest type of wine in fairness. I think twice about having wine if it's not available (unless it's free, I'll drink any white wine if its free).

Pinot Giorgio is the most watery wine to drink and most of it (not all) is complete dross. And yes it would be often the type of wine people drink when they just want to get drunk.

Advertisement