Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you about other runners and running in general?

• 03-10-2016 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭

There's a few things that annoy me about running and other runners but to get the ball rolling and choose just one I would say the breathing sounds some make. It's a sure fire way to get me to go faster so I can get out of earshot.

A few weeks ago I was closing in on a fella ahead whose high pitched panting sounded like Dale Winton about to blow his beans. Even though I was struggling I pushed on to get as far away as I could but he decided to track me so it was a kilometre before I got away from him.

The other day it was a fella who sounded like one of those overbred bulldogs with the squashed faces and again though suffering as I was I upped the pace so as not to have to hear him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Wobbly knee running style. It's ridiculous but I really dislike running behind anyone with a style akin to Priscah Jeptoo's.

I also had someone go past me in a race who every couple of minutes or so was yelling and I mean really yelling 'Come on!' to himself. I just about resisted the temptation to suggest that he might do better trying a bit harder at the running and a bit less at the shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Didn't we have a rant thread..?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm pretty easygoing overall, people with weird breathing styles or bizarre self-motivation rituals don't annoy me much.

About the only thing that really pisses me off are groups who spread out in a blocking line across the road, instead of running in a formation, or people who don't pay any attention to how much room might be around them - e.g. running in a position where there's no room to get past them safely, but they could easily move left or right to leave a gap.

People who barely break sweat ambling around but then are all complaints about the distance being out 20 metres on their €400 Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think it's a bit unfair to complain about people's breathing sounds when they are running. What do you want them to do - stop breathing?!

Sorry I'm a bit ratty but one of the things new runners are conscious of is the sound they make when breathing while running, that and how they look when running and a having red face afterwards. I know I am conscious of how I sound - I find that I do get out of breath quite quickly but at least I'm usually near the back of the field so you don't have to listen to me!
    Also just to point out that there may be a good reason why they breath like they do - unfit, overweight, asthma, smoker/ex smoker, getting over cold/flu etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Oh god not another one of these.........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tang1 wrote: »
    Oh god not another one of these.........

oh, but I've another one here, runners in races with earphones :pac:

I remember a few years ago someone in a race near me had either heart race or pace zones set up on his watch. This was near the end of the race when all zones are out the window, and it was beeping at him constantly :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

99% of runners are sound but I hate runners that are condescending to those not on their level

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Runners that run on the road in pairs or more, when a. there's a perfectly safe path beside them to run on & b. there's traffic coming there way & they still insist on running on the road.

Runners that don't wear bright gear/reflective stuff when running in the evening & meet ya on a bend wearing all black gear & frightening the sh*te out of ya.

People that insist on running in groups of 4/5/6 in a line when you're in a race, gee whiz like, pull over & let others overtake ya if they need to instead of us having to roar at ya or go a mile out of the way to pass ye :p

And yes I'm a fellow runner, but really dislike the increasing arrogance of some runners that I'm meeting on the road as a driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Runners who spit or blow snot out of their nose without consideration of who is beside or behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Those that cut right in front of you when passing out in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

denis160 wrote: »

People that insist on running in groups of 4/5/6 in a line when you're in a race, gee whiz like, pull over & let others overtake ya if they need to instead of us having to roar at ya or go a mile out of the way to pass ye :p

runners who say/write gee whiz!

runners who say/write gee whiz!

Ha ha, I was been mindful of my manners! Which some runners just aren't !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RayCun wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago someone in a race near me had either heart race or pace zones set up on his watch. This was near the end of the race when all zones are out the window, and it was beeping at him constantly :rolleyes: :pac:
    Hah, that could easily have been me (probably wasn't though). Bought Polar HRM for cycling but found it useless. I wore it when I started running and it was grand, but my first race was a GIR 10k, and I spent the last 2k running at 95% with the damn thing constantly beeping at me.

Bought a Garmin a few weeks later :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

"finding your niche" aka proliferation of talent

Between the different of types of events (XC, Indoor/Outdoor Track, Road, Mountain,Ultra), number of events, age categories etc anyone can be a WR holder or Champion without really even racing anyone.

It opens itself to abuse ala Rob Young, Mike Rossi, Mike Vaz so much so that genuine efforts of hard work are not longer cared about unless there is a gimmick.

"Put in the work and reap the rewards" - a mantra long dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I think it's a bit unfair to complain about people's breathing sounds when they are running. What do you want them to do - stop breathing?!

Sorry I'm a bit ratty but one of the things new runners are conscious of is the sound they make when breathing while running, that and how they look when running and a having red face afterwards. I know I am conscious of how I sound - I find that I do get out of breath quite quickly but at least I'm usually near the back of the field so you don't have to listen to me!
    Also just to point out that there may be a good reason why they breath like they do - unfit, overweight, asthma, smoker/ex smoker, getting over cold/flu etc

I'm sure they have a very good reason and whatever annoys you doesn't have to be rational! I've ran quite a few times this summer with lots of people but these two stood out and what can I say...it annoyed me but at the same time helped me to run a bit faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

On my long run around the marathon course last Saturday - discarded gel wrappers all over the place.
    If you can carry the gel on your run, you can carry the wrapper to a bin.
    Grr..

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Runners that run on the road in pairs or more, when a. there's a perfectly safe path beside them to run on & b. there's traffic coming there way & they still insist on running on the road.

Runners that don't wear bright gear/reflective stuff when running in the evening & meet ya on a bend wearing all black gear & frightening the sh*te out of ya.

And yes I'm a fellow runner, but really dislike the increasing arrogance of some runners that I'm meeting on the road as a driver.

Jaysus I hate this, I done a groin last may trying to go around a group of 8 that decided to suddenly slow down, all in a line accross the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

This thread has potential.....

I hate the way people take running so f&cking seriously:

Any tips for running on a beach?
    should I have a curry 16 days before a 5k?
    I'd love to break 40 minutes for 5k, what should the optimal length of my shoelaces be in order to achieve this?
    How Long is a 10 mile race?
    I've ran 16 times today, should I play violin this evening or is that overdoing it?

it wrecks my bulb.

Rant over (for now)

Edit, I also hate the thought of elitism but I don't see it too often, either on here or in the real world at races, training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Fun runners, walkers and buggy pushers ( happened in a local race this year, I suggested she move, she replied she was running with the buggy) who start off at the front of a race causing mayhem with faster runners spending the first km weaving around them

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

YFlyer wrote: »
    Those that cut right in front of you when passing out in a race.
    I take it you mean 'over-taking'?! In a windy race I'd usually try to take my turn into the wind. In other words I'll sit in behind someone and then overtake and take a forward position so that they can do likewise. About 50% of the time they'll immediately pull up alongside, making it seem like I'm making some sort of d1ck move, instead of trying to share the burden.

What annoys me about other runners? Wearing too much clothing when out running. Stoopid...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Putting incorrect PB's to get elevated in start pens. Even worse giving race #'s to faster runners to gain qualification to said pens or races.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What annoys me about other runners? Wearing too much clothing when out running. Stoopid...

saw a guy out on Saturday, seemed to be wearing the usual too-much gear of leggings, long-sleeved top etc... and also a bin bag over the lot :D

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Even worse giving race #'s to faster runners to gain qualification to said pens or races.

probably very naive on my part, but do people actually do this?

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Putting incorrect PB's to get elevated in start pens. Even worse giving race #'s to faster runners to gain qualification to said pens or races.

I know 3 boardsies (including myself) missed out on entry to a race this year due to this (entry graded based on your PB till it filled up)

Looked through results after and a number of those entered had official PB's 3-4 min slower than what they would have had to report to get entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Men wearing running leggings, dont know why but it just annoys the beejesus out of me.

People carrying a heap of gels for a 10km race, that one more baffles me than annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

You must have seen some crackers in Berlin. I run about 4-6 weeks of the year in Germany, the amount of gear they wear would put a triathlete to shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

probably very naive on my part, but do people actually do this?

I was thinking the same...the dark underbelly of amateur athletics is being unmasked!

Men wearing running leggings, dont know why but it just annoys the beejesus out of me.

We wear them to ensure that we don't neglect our squats ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

I know 3 boardsies (including myself) missed out on entry to a race this year due to this (entry graded based on your PB till it filled up)

Looked through results after and a number of those entered had official PB's 3-4 min slower than what they would have had to report to get entry.

That sounds a bit mad, surely when the actual race is run they get found out when they are way down the pack. Dont see the point myself.

Advertisement