Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What annoys you about other runners and running in general?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Could the clubs handle it? Do we have the facilities?

No to both questions. But investigate how Craughwell AC in East Galway got to where they are now. By getting the get fit greater then 30min 5k €500 garmin watch woggers to join the club. This created a bigger club and has got them to be one of the biggest juvenile clubs in the country with facilities to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

ger664 wrote: »
    No to both questions. But investigate how Craughwell AC in East Galway got to where they are now. By getting the get fit greater then 30min 5k €500 garmin watch woggers to join the club. This created a bigger club and has got them to be one of the biggest juvenile clubs in the country with facilities to match.

They probably got the joggers to join alright but most wearing a 500+ watch are joining a Tri club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

This thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

This thread.

I'm sorry I started it now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I've only just got in to running - very far from competing in races or anything like that yet. I'm on Week 3 of C25K. But this thread really scares me - is this what I have to look forward to if I actually do start running properly?? Yikes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

quickbeam wrote: »
    I've only just got in to running - very far from competing in races or anything like that yet. I'm on Week 3 of C25K. But this thread really scares me - is this what I have to look forward to if I actually do start running properly?? Yikes!!!

Don't mind all the guff. Just keep on enjoying it and working towards your goals. One of the things I enjoy most is that you can come in miles behind the winner in god knows what position and still have run a great race because it was your race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

quickbeam wrote:

Just enjoy what you do and don't mind anyone else...if it took you an hour to do 5k what matter as long as you enjoy....and no one really cares of minds what gear or accessories you have...if they do well then they have small boring ignorant lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

quickbeam wrote: »

Put simply, no. Longer version, take a look at the c25k thread here for support from people at a similar point or who have done that themselves. Have a read of some of the training logs here to show you how far you can progress with the right training, commitment and support. When you finish your c25k go check out your local parkrun for a great example of community involvement. Maybe look into your local running club as well to see if that's a good option, some also have fit4life groups that might interest you. All great examples of things you have to look forward to as you progress. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Letting stuff bother you that you've no control over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lougheee wrote: »
    People who have garmins set up for a beep every mile in XC races.

Grotesque. Unbelievable. I'm lost for words.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Who on earth still uses miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

RayCun wrote: »

Who on earth still uses miles?

Miles 4 Lyf fam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Faster than 30 mins for 5k? Rob Heffernan has walked 5k in under 19 mins. Do you feel embarrassed yet?

I do :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Ceepo

seamus wrote: »
    Hah, that could easily have been me (probably wasn't though). Bought Polar HRM for cycling but found it useless. I wore it when I started running and it was grand, but my first race was a GIR 10k, and I spent the last 2k running at 95% with the damn thing constantly beeping at me.

Bought a Garmin a few weeks later :pac:

It's was hardly the Polar hrm's fault that you were running at a higher heart rate than you had the target set at ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'm a turtle runner and proud :D No embarrassment whatsoever.

The Turtle Runners.

That's going to be the name of my new running club!

As a relative beginner, how complicated experienced runners make it. It's not that difficult, just get out there and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm actually one of those runners who has no interest in joining a club. I don't run competitively, just for fun and actually quite enjoy the solitude of running alone.

After a stressful day at work or whatever, it's nice to be able to clear the head by enjoying some alone time by jogging aimlessly at my own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Surgers.

In a 5K race seeing a guy hare off at 15 min pace only to pass him as he is stopped / walking after 2K, then for him to breeze past you again in full on sprint mode at 3.5 / 4K only to pass him again at 4.5K!!

Coming to the end of a longer race, say 10 miles, and catching someone you have targetted to overtake before the end..only for that person to miraculously find another burst of energy and overtake you at the line !!!

More my issue that anyone elses I know :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

As a relative beginner, how complicated experienced runners make it. It's not that difficult, just get out there and run.

You're listening to the wrong people. The best coach you'll ever get will have an approach that seems absurdly simple.

To be fair (somewhat) to nevermore, he/she wouldn't be the first runner to consider race-walking a joke sport. What other sport allows you to cheat at least three times without sanction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The one runner who keeps wandering in front of me during a race.. Stop wobbling across my line of running !

Drives me insane.

RayCun wrote: »

Not also Bizarre and Unprecedented?

andrew1977 wrote: »
    The one runner who keeps wandering in front of me during a race.. Stop wobbling across my line of running !

Drives me insane.

Even worse, the, excuse me, a*seholes who weave dangerously through the crowd at the start of a race, especially longer races where it's going to make bugger all difference.When one of these tools brings me down with them they're getting punched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not so much that it annoys me but more it worries me cos I see it more and more - is people running on the main roads (in the hard shoulder) going WITH the flow of traffic. I've seen it more in the past 2 months with DCM training, even this morning. I don't know how people feel safe running like that with traffic coming up behind you at 100+kmph, you can't see the traffic or judge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

davedanon wrote: »
    Even worse, the, excuse me, a*seholes who weave dangerously through the crowd at the start of a race, especially longer races where it's going to make bugger all difference.When one of these tools brings me down with them they're getting punched.

Maybe your starting too far up or they are starting too far down, someone is not in the right position

Maybe your starting too far up or they are starting too far down, someone is not in the right position

That would be the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

being overtaken by gaa tops in races.

garminatics on boards and other running sites pontificating... that race was 20m short

race pa announcers trying to be funny

the good side of running outweighs the bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Running in a group, in a race, pretty close together, into a headwind....dude in front clears his nose out to the side.....wind happens.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

davedanon wrote: »
    To be fair (somewhat) to nevermore, he/she wouldn't be the first runner to consider race-walking a joke sport. What other sport allows you to cheat at least three times without sanction?

I know I shouldn't, but ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

This is a process

1) Beginning runners are learning therefor keep things simple

2) As they progress they look to "extra stuff" feeling its the edge because they see people faster doing it so emulate

3) People read why something they are using works and can give you the explanation of why it works or simply it has become tried and tested for it

4) (The bit that often doesn't gets missed) people understand the stuff so well they can simplify it to fit the audience (the old saying if you can't sum it up in 6 words you probably don't know it well enough). These people often can give you the scientific reasoning if need but often people happy to see the results without knowing why. These are the best coaches as they can manipulated things so that each training run is a wheel in the cog and there is an overall logic to the process but can also tweak things if it isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

andrew1977 wrote: »

Drives me insane.
    My dog is always doing this when we run together the bitch!
    Does it on purpose too.

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »

Cheating isn't allowed in cycling, or any other sport, however much may actually go on. It isn't sanctioned in the rulebook.

Reading race reports where the guys go into detail about their pre race crap that they had after their coffee. TMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

In all honesty I do cringe about some of the things that I did as a beginner, that when I see now, find irritating! But as Myles says it is a learning process.

The only time I've ever been genuinely annoyed is specific incidents during PB chasing competitive races when:

a) A swarm of ladies started right up front of a race standing side by side running slowly blocking a lot people off
    b) A guy I was chasing who's garmin HR alert was going off every 25 seconds....wanted to kill him.
    c) Oblivious headphone wearers

I try not to get annoyed at all on training runs....it's meant to be a stressbuster for me at least....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    a) A swarm of ladies started right up front of a race standing side by side running slowly blocking a lot people off

They have every f*ckin' right to walk where they want. F*ck off you c*nt. At least that's what they told me once.

PaulieC wrote: »
    They have every f*ckin' right to walk where they want. F*ck off you c*nt. At least that's what they told me once.

I like their style, if you did that in the WMM they'd give you a good elbow in the bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

joesoap5 wrote: »
    I like their style, if you did that in the WMM they'd give you a good elbow in the bollox

They wouldn't. They might spill their chips or drop their burger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They might also give you a nasty cigarette burn.

The best way to annoy them is to steal their beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

I fockin hate the sexism.(as shown above).leave the burds alone

You big girl's blouse. you couldn't even finish that tiddly Sparta thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Track fairies at training sessions.

Yeah, I'll go burst my hole around the track while you stand up in slow motion 18 times

Posers the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Gavlor wrote: »
    Track fairies at training sessions.

Yeah, I'll go burst my hole around the track while you stand up in slow motion 18 times

Posers the lot of them.

Haha, would love to see you run a 6 X 200 session close to flat out with reducing recoveries. That is if your weak calf and hamstring muscles don't pop after 2 reps. ;)

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They might also give you a nasty cigarette burn.

Yeah even better

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Haha, would love to see you run a 6 X 200 session close to flat out with reducing recoveries. That is if your weak calf and hamstring muscles don't pop after 2 reps. ;)

One on the line, Gav!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Runners who wear shades on a cloudy day.
    Runners who go out of their way to wear matching gear.
    Runners who run barefoot.
    Runners who wear international gear in a mickey mouse local race.
    Bastards who tell you that we're nearly there when in fact you are not.
    Runners who smell of BO.
    Runners who never take their turn at the front.
    Runners who appear like ninjas and try to out sprint you (see point above).
    Runners who tell you they aren't training then proceed to hammer you.
    Runners who tell you they are just back from injury but magically run a PB.
    Runners who insist they have not been training even though you've seen the lying bastard out five times over the last two weeks.
    Runners who turn up late to the start of a training run and make every one else wait.
    Runners who can't understand why they had a marathon disaster after they set off at 10K pace and blew up after 10 miles.
    Runners who consume more calories than they burn in a race.
    Runners who constantly pace races and love the high fives and shoulders.
    Runners who are pacers who scream "come on the [insert pace group time]ers".
    Races that are short.
    Race organisers who won't admit their races are short
    Race organisers who publish a running magazine and had given out in print about other races being short, who subsequently won't admit or apologise that their own race is short.
    Running supplements in news papers that have more to do with gimmicks than running.
    Running groups organised by physical trainers who know nothing about running or the injuries related to the hill sprints they make their poor clients do.
    Runners who raise money for "charity" to go on foreign marathon junkets
    Colour run/races. Just fcuk off.
    Any race with a stupid gimmick.

That is all for now. I'm off to punch a runner or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Chivito550 wrote: »

:D

Hook line and sinker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

...one I forgot to mention, a specific runner.....Bressie...full stop.

Runners who smell of BO.
    Runners who insist they have not been training even though you've seen the lying bastard out five times over the last two weeks.
    Runners who turn up late to the start of a training run and make every one else wait.
    Runners who can't understand why they had a marathon disaster after they set off at 10K pace and blew up after 10 miles.
    Races that are short.
    Race organisers who publish a running magazine and had given out in print about other races being short, who subsequently won't admit or apologise that their own race is short.
    Running supplements in news papers that have more to do with gimmicks than running.
    Running groups organised by physical trainers who know nothing about running or the injuries related to the hill sprints they make their poor clients do.

Thread closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Runners who wear shades on a cloudy day. Runners who go out of their way to wear matching gear. Runners who run barefoot. Runners who wear international gear in a mickey mouse local race. Bastards who tell you that we're nearly there when in fact you are not. Runners who smell of BO. Runners who never take their turn at the front. Runners who appear like ninjas and try to out sprint you (see point above). Runners who tell you they aren't training then proceed to hammer you. Runners who tell you they are just back from injury but magically run a PB. Runners who insist they have not been training even though you've seen the lying bastard out five times over the last two weeks. Runners who turn up late to the start of a training run and make every one else wait. Runners who can't understand why they had a marathon disaster after they set off at 10K pace and blew up after 10 miles. Runners who consume more calories than they burn in a race. Runners who constantly pace races and love the high fives and shoulders. Runners who are pacers who scream "come on the [insert pace group time]ers". Races that are short. Race organisers who won't admit their races are short Race organisers who publish a running magazine and had given out in print about other races being short, who subsequently won't admit or apologise that their own race is short. Running supplements in news papers that have more to do with gimmicks than running. Running groups organised by physical trainers who know nothing about running or the injuries related to the hill sprints they make their poor clients do. Runners who raise money for "charity" to go on foreign marathon junkets Colour run/races. Just fcuk off. Any race with a stupid gimmick.

So pretty much everyone who has ever put on a pair of runners. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Runners who smell of BO.
    Races that are short.

Don't hold back now - out with it !! :):):)

Advertisement