Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

"The suicide goalkeeper"...

That's Joe Duffy sorted for Monday anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Andy Moran will hardly go another year will he?

What a man though, in fairness.

Played ball with him. As good a guy as he is a player. Which tells it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If this panel can stick together and maintain the same mental toughness I think there's an AI in this Mayo team under Rochford. Very hard for a lot of these lads to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Anyway well done Dublin I guess,play one away game all championship and spend a fortune on facilities and a professional back room team in what is pretty much financial doping.
    Average dub fan not smart enough to have a bit of shame about it

For anybody who is being too harsh on Mayo, for the sake of fairness bear this in mind:
    Maigh Eo, population in 2016 = 130,000 people
    Áth Cliath, population in 2016 = 1,345,000 people (Source)

Well done, Mayo. You did yourselves - and football - very, very proud. Unlike 1996 you kept fighting until the end and that won you huge admiration in every county. Hold your heads high. Tá súil agam go mbeidh sibh ar ais an bhliain seo chugainn chun Sam a bhaint. Beir bua!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lovely stuff.

Bring on the hate from the non dubs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

koutoubia wrote: »
    Talk about a bad loser!!!

Mayo got outta jail last time.
    They had their chance today and didn't take it.
    Get over it!

Got out of jail? That's some revisionism. They scored 2 ogs. Had more scores and had a cowardly ref who failed to give a clear red card in the first half.

Dublin got out of jail in the first match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

That's awful football from Dublin though. Its all the worst things of soccer pulled into GAA; timewasting, aimless possession football, niggling, off-the-ball stuff, cynical fouls, and provoking. I know lots of teams are doing it but no one to the same extent. The worst thing is that they could probably play a lot better without all the sh!te and if they were more direct.

They've become essentially a professional win-at-all costs team. They fear losing more than enjoy winning at this stage. That breeds cynicism.
    The reducing of Ciaran Kilkenny to a mere possession statistic leader is a baffling result of this culture.

I'm not saying Dublin are the only team to employ it - basically any team that will hope to survive in Division 1 has to master it or they will be eaten alive come Championship.
    Mayo tried to implement a lot of this year and matched Dublin for 140 minutes but didn't have the same bench.

It is killing the game as an attacking spectacle but it is the way the game has evolved over the last 5 years.
    It's up to managers and players in the next few years to come up with the attacking evolution to counter-act it.

The major issue in the game at the minute is the lack of defined tackle and the ability of referees to be consistent regarding the black card.
    That is allowing the mass tackling, pulling and dragging and hacking at the ball that is choking attacking play.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,446 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dublin the better team without doubt, but really, is that any surprise?

Genuinely gutted for Mayo as a Galway man, but in reality they had very little chance to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I amn't picking holes, I am merely jesting at the irony. It was a very standout sentence.

What do you want Cluxton to do? Ignore the fans? Ignore their efforts when they have to travel?

But sure, whatever gets you through. Jest away, kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mayo have got to be positive about this and think that Dublin aren't going to be as good next year and that Kerry,Cork and Ulster (as a whole) are all in transition.

I'd make them joint favourites with Dublin for next years all ireland, they just desperately nee to work on there forward play and find out where Aidan O'Shea has to play to get the best out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Dublin won, just, but they won and no one can take that away from them, first back to back since 2006. I am delighted .

I shall take a step back now and let the usual begrudges and whatifs throw there so called expert opinion in, You know who you are ye stand out a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,446 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

For anybody who is being too harsh on Mayo, for the sake of fairness bear this in mind:
    Maigh Eo, population in 2016 = 130,000 people
    Áth Cliath, population in 2016 = 1,345,000 people (Source)

Well done, Mayo. You did yourselves - and football - very, very proud. Unlike 1996 you kept fighting until the end and that won you huge admiration. Hold your heads high. Tá súil agam go mbeidh sibh ar ais an bhliain seo chugainn chun Sam a bhaint. Beir bua!
    +1

Dublin by right should be winning every 3rd year. Anything less than that is failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

classy.

See my edited post...
    Cant find Sky Wanderers post now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

10 finals lost by Mayo since they last won one in 1951. It's a horrible record I'd love to see end (as a neutral).

I'd make them joint favourites with Dublin for next years all ireland, they just desperately nee to work on there forward play and find out where Aidan O'Shea has to play to get the best out of him.

I wouldn't open up a bookies anytime soon if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

It was an enthralling game and very exciting but i see a raft if rule changes based on this game.

The black card needs to be cleared up big time.

Alot of niggling off the ball crap

The diving was awful. Diarmuid oConnor being the worst offender today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Weepsie wrote: »
    Got out of jail? That's some revisionism. They scored 2 ogs. Had more scores and had a cowardly ref who failed to give a clear red card in the first half.

Dublin got out of jail in the first match

Yeah Dublin got two og's but Dean Rock missed a hatful.
    Rock didn't miss today and Dublin win.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I honestly can't believe McGuinness having a problem with Hennellys black card -it was a deliberate take down. Soccer if that happened it would be a red

Clarke being dropped was a huge call that backfired

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Mayo have got to be positive about this and think that Dublin aren't going to be as good next year and that Kerry,Cork and Ulster (as a whole) are all in transition.

We can't keep coming back though. Andy, Higgins and Dillon will be gone after this year. Clarke too possibly.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    I wouldn't open up a bookies anytime soon if I were you.

They won't be far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Is there any reason as to why Clarke didn't start?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

kilns wrote: »
    It was an enthralling game and very exciting but i see a raft if rule changes based on this game.

Thought every Black card given was the correct call tbh

Jaysus, long wait til the post match analysis.

Abu Dhabi me ar$e.... Send Brolly, I dont want to go there.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    We can't keep coming back though. Andy, Higgins and Dillon will be gone after this year. Clarke too possibly.

I think they might hang on, but probably need to be spared winter training and come back just for the last couple of rounds of the league or even later to simply give the championship one more go.

2017 is a big chance for them, Dublin are the only team that are better than them and as great as they I can't see Dublin being able to keep this up , they look physically and mentally exhausted from the last few years.

They won't be far off.

Are you mental, joint favs.

Dublin will be about 11/10.
    Mayo about 5/1.

What the f**k happened there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

ask him about HIS decision to drop the best keeper in the country this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Patww79 wrote: »
    :D only read a few pages and we've had the Connolly is a thug, population, and the MONIEZ already. Hope they're not too salty lads, keep hydrated :)

Don't forget the fact that the Dubs never travel. Like, ever :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Bambi wrote: »
    kilns wrote: »

Thought every Black card given was the correct call tbh

Yes but could have been more. Im a dubs fan but Small should have got one at the start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement