Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to visit Santa?

• 07-09-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I figure it's never too early to ask about Santa here in the Christmas Forum!

So I think we have our last year of Santa for our eldest (she's 8, younger girl is 4) so I really want to big up xmas even more and go visit a really good Santa experience. If I could afford it i'd go to Lapland but way to dear!!!

We went to Tayto Park 2 years ago and loved it so thinking of going there again but wouldn't mind somewhere else.
    I heard the Santa Cottage up in Rostrevor is very good as is Malahide Castle. We're based in Dublin but prepared to travel an hour or so!

Any other suggestions for a day out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Jumping in here as well. Sorry Saggy, based in the west so I can't help you. Am looking to see if anyone has experience of Bunratty? Have done Alwee Caves before and it's great but trying to plan this years outing and considering a change.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We've booked the Santa Claus experience in Palmerstown House again. We went last year, brought my parents too, it was amazing. Mrs Claus reading all the kids a story, singing and dancing with a few elves. Think it cost 130 for 4 adults and 2 kids. It's also the closest place for us, so dead handy. We were thinking about Rathwood, but the kids wouldn't be up to the long drive home after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Thinking about Rathwood here too, daughter (nearly four) loves trains.

Did Fota experience last year. We won a comp but it would've cost about €50 for two adults and one child over 1. I'd recommend it for anyone close enough to or willing to travel to Cork, they put on a good show. It's another one we're considering.

Another possibility, the DSPCA in Rathfarnham. I like the idea of supporting the charity -great message for Christmastime- and if your children like animals then this could be a goer. But I think they only have a Santa on alternate years (due to budget) so do check before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I have never done rathwood myself as I have heard mixed reviews about it. Although last year we did the santa magical trail with the clanard hotel and it was amazing ! The pictures were brilliant!

They offer a stay and dine experience. And everyone I have spoken to says it is amazing ! They got little christmas chocolates in their room and you can have dinner with Mrs Claus and the elves and you get to feed the animals in the morning ! I can't wait til my youngest gets a little bit older to book !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Mariana Tangy Skirt

went here last year and we all enjoyed it. http://www.christmasisland.ie/christmas-island/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

For anyone close enough to visit it Santa's Island at the Doagh Famine Village is pretty good. I know the "famine village" might not be the first place you would think to visit Santa but it's really more of a heritage site and the Santa Island is really well done. It's a bit out of the way even for people in Donegal but if anything that just adds to the sense of anticipation on the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My little nephews absolutely LOVED the Palmerstown House experience, for anyone within striking distance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Causey farm is EXCELLENT!
    Rathwood very good for smaller people.
    Ailwee Caves supposed to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I think I'm toying between Causey Farm and Palmerstown House! Both look really good, I love the look of the train at Palmerstown House! Great suggestions thank you!

Booked Palmerstown house for an evening visit. It's filling up fast.

I'm going to have to stop coming onto boards...it costs me money every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Booked Palmerstown house for an evening visit. It's filling up fast.

I'm going to have to stop coming onto boards...it costs me money every time.

Will be worth every penny. It's magical and very well thought out, that's what the nephews parents said, and the photos prove it. Eyes agog and all that.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Winterval gets great reviews, in Waterford

http://www.winterval.ie

Will be worth every penny. It's magical and very well thought out, that's what the nephews parents said, and the photos prove it. Eyes agog and all that.

Enjoy.

How old is your nephew do you mind me asking?? I'm not so worried about my 4 year old as she'll love anywhere but 8 year olds can be harder to please!!

She told me she's asking Santa for a mobile for xmas.........I think he might be fresh out of mobiles by the time he gets to our house:p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Does the Palmerstown Santa have a real beard? In some of the photos he does and in others he doesn't.

iguana wrote: »
    Does the Palmerstown Santa have a real beard? In some of the photos he does and in others he doesn't.

The guy we saw did. I think there about 6 or 8 guys working at any one time, so it would depend on which room you are sent to. If in doubt, I'd politely ask for a more hairy guy.

beertons wrote: »
    The guy we saw did. I think there about 6 or 8 guys working at any one time, so it would depend on which room you are sent to. If in doubt, I'd politely ask for a more hairy guy.

Thanks. I emailed them and they said they can't guarantee a Santa with a real beard, so I don't think I'll take the chance. It's a pity, I'd pay a bit more for a guarantee of a real beard. We see Santa at lots of parties and events over Christmas, so I always want our main Santa visit to be with 'the real Santa.'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's a pity, I'd pay a bit more for a guarantee of a real beard.
    I love this forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Speaking as a former child, I don't ever recall a real beard vs a fake beard being an issue. I think kids are just delighted to see Santa.

Thanks. I emailed them and they said they can't guarantee a Santa with a real beard, so I don't think I'll take the chance. It's a pity, I'd pay a bit more for a guarantee of a real beard. We see Santa at lots of parties and events over Christmas, so I always want our main Santa visit to be with 'the real Santa.'

The Santa we saw in Powerscourt Townhouse Center a year or 2 ago had a real beard, he was brilliant. I'd go back again only we're looking for a whole day out this time!

Speaking as a former child, I don't ever recall a real beard vs a fake beard being an issue. I think kids are just delighted to see Santa.
    I know but the Santa experiences are such a big expensive day out that I feel better about spending the money if I think we're seeing the real Santa!
    saggycaggy wrote: »
    The Santa we saw in Powerscourt Townhouse Center a year or 2 ago had a real beard, he was brilliant. I'd go back again only we're looking for a whole day out this time!

Yeah he looks great. We went to St Stephen's Green a couple of years ago and he's a great Santa too. But I love the idea of doing a whole experience and making a day out of it. It's just a pita when we don't know where my husband will be working in December.

It's probably against the general mood on this board but I wish the tickets didn't go on sale so early. It's just too hard to know how much travelling we'll want to do three months from now.

• Advertisement

We ended up booking Tayto park for what looked like the last available slot!
    It's mad how quickly these places are booked up.
    The eldest girl is happy to go back there and I remember the last time we went we were able to buy an annual ticket with the cost of the Santa trip taken off it so I'm hoping that happens again as we don't live too far away! I hope you all get sorted.

^ that's a great incentive to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We went to Lullymore (lullywood? Can't remember the proper name). We weren't too worried as the little fella was just gone one and it was more for the day out. It was great. Santa had a real beard, was great with the baba, the gift was a nice one, train ride through the big included, small fairy walk.

We'll go back this year.

Whispered wrote: »
    We went to Lullymore (lullywood? Can't remember the proper name). We weren't too worried as the little fella was just gone one and it was more for the day out. It was great. Santa had a real beard, was great with the baba, the gift was a nice one, train ride through the big included, small fairy walk.

We'll go back this year.
    Not if you can't remember the name of the place :)

We're heading to Lullymore for Halloween -there's no booking required though and I think that might be the same for Christmas!

According to the website for Halloween and Christmas:
    Not a pre-bookable event for families
    Families can just arrive on the day!

saggycaggy wrote: »
    We're heading to Lullymore for Halloween -there's no booking required though and I think that might be the same for Christmas!

According to the website for Halloween and Christmas:
    Not a pre-bookable event for families
    Families can just arrive on the day!

Make sure your kids are old for Halloween. My 2 were 2 &4 going there last year. Scared the crap out of them. They never want to go back.

Whispered wrote: »

We'll go back this year.

Did you go at a weekend? Were the queues long?

beertons wrote: »
    Make sure your kids are old for Halloween. My 2 were 2 &4 going there last year. Scared the crap out of them. They never want to go back.

oh god! They're 4 and 8 and kinda scaredy cats like myself! Is it really that bad? Maybe we'll go early before it gets dark, we were thinking of going Sunday 30th. Thanks for the heads up!

Not if you can't remember the name of the place :)

Ah it's Lully-something. Be grand ;)

• Advertisement

Did you go at a weekend? Were the queues long?

We went on a Saturday and probably later in the day than we should have. When we go this year we will go earlier and do the train and walk as it gets dusky then queue to see Santa.

When we were there the queues weren't that bad. If I remember correctly we were about 20/30 mins waiting in the little room. They take in a certain amount of people so I'd imagine that's pretty standard. While waiting to get into the room, kids were playing in the play centre.

I think there was more than one Santa (although kids wouldn't have a clue). At the back of the room there was an air hockey table and you could look down onto the play centre and elves so not too bad of a wait.

Now the food on offer left a lot to be desired but that's the only bad thing I could say. Even at that, the food would be popular with kids (chips, nuggets etc).

Actually I'll have a root through my pics later and find the exact date and time we went if you like.

Advertisement