Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment 2017

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Anyone thinking of applying for a mainland home office force if they are unsuccessful with PSNI should definitely consider it. I'm almost 2 years in with the Met and have completed all stages of 1509. Although it is not a proper transfer, you will remain on the nearest pay scale. For me that should mean starting PSNI training on about 4/5k more than usual.

You'll also get a head start with developing communication skills and knowledge as a lot of legislation in England and Wales is very similar or the same to NI.

It is a different style of Policing but it's invaluable experience which can be transferred or adapted to suit NI.

Will we have to complete the full 22 week training course? Seeing as Scottish legislation differs in parts, I expect I would need to at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

Will we have to complete the full 22 week training course? Seeing as Scottish legislation differs in parts, I expect I would need to at least.

Yes unless you are actually a transferee anyone that goes through needs to do the 22 weeks although as above you do get kept on nearest payscale.

dollasign wrote: »

Yes unless you are actually a transferee anyone that goes through needs to do the 22 weeks although as above you do get kept on nearest payscale.

Ideal, thank you. Just when I thought I was done with the "Yes sir" "No sir" game ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Bit disappointed to hear that it's been pushed back, although it does offer more hope to them reaching my barely scraped past AC score from this campaign. Determined to score higher in the next campaign

From what I hear the reason it has been pushed back is so they can can justify recruiting more officers by overlapping the recruitment budgets for 2017 and 2018

D4z wrote: »
    Personally I read a lot of books wrote by Richard munn on policing and they had it spot on. I just noticed he has recently released a specific PSNI recruitment book (check ebay).

I would highly recommend them and put my high AC score down to those books. They literally tell you what key sentences to say in the AC like "I will take full responsibility in seeing any action through and keep you updated throughout the investigation process"

Gets you thinking in a way that turns the key competencies into sentences to be said during the role plays, also explains what way the report should be wrote.
    I wouldn't touch Richard McMunn with a barge pole, he just regurgitates information that is freely available elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

I wouldn't touch Richard McMunn with a barge pole, he just regurgitates information that is freely available elsewhere.

Hit the nail on the head. Had a few of his books. 2 of them went in the bin and if I ever see the other one I wasted my money on it will be going in the bin too.

My mate swore by it for AOSB Main board and failed both times as well as relying on them for the AC which he again failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

Anyone thinking of applying for a mainland home office force if they are unsuccessful with PSNI should definitely consider it. I'm almost 2 years in with the Met and have completed all stages of 1509. Although it is not a proper transfer, you will remain on the nearest pay scale. For me that should mean starting PSNI training on about 4/5k more than usual.

You'll also get a head start with developing communication skills and knowledge as a lot of legislation in England and Wales is very similar or the same to NI.

It is a different style of Policing but it's invaluable experience which can be transferred or adapted to suit NI.

This is 100% bang on as im in the same sitiatuon as you and the knowledge you learn is second to none in my opinion. I would def say 90% of the skills you learn are transferable to PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Interesting FOI just answered might help you guys :)

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/policy_for_currently_serving_uk

• Advertisement

Great stuff, Homer thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 theorem

Will definitely be going for it this time around. Stuck my name in last year but didn't go to IST. I made the decision to go to uni and have quickly realised that it's not for me, so the plan is to stay in uni and hope and pray that I make it.

theorem same script here Uni life not me but I got lucky and found a full time job. Any lurkers or folk in the system got any tips and hints?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pcacademy

Just read that the new campaign could begin, April 2017. (BBC News)

Advertisement