Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

I've just a wee question and wasn't sure where to post this.. I can't remember if I dreamt it or actually read it but is it true that if you're already in the recruitment process for PSNI you can't apply for any other UK force?

Not aware of anything that precludes you from applying for another force, I can say for certain that if you apply to a force in England or Wales you can't apply for another in those parts of the UK, but I think maybe NI and Scotland fall under a separate remit. If anyone can say otherwise then I'll stand corrected
    My understanding is that you can't apply for more than one GB force at a time as they have the same test/recruitment process so you could gain an unfair advantage if you were going through two of the same processes at slightly different times. As the PSNI use a different recruitment process, then you are OK to apply for a GB force and the PSNI at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pcacademy

Hi, this is my first time applying. Any good tips, books to read, websites to go on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

pcacademy wrote: »
    Hi, this is my first time applying. Any good tips, books to read, websites to go on etc.

Welcome aboard!

You're already at an advantage by finding this place.
    Be wary of books dedicated to the PSNI recruitment process as they are usually a load of b@lls! PSNI process is very different to mainland forces.

They do give sample questions when the campaign opens. Head over to Police Scotland and take a look at their site. They have proper sample papers; different to what we take but gives you an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Personally I read a lot of books wrote by Richard munn on policing and they had it spot on. I just noticed he has recently released a specific PSNI recruitment book (check ebay).

I would highly recommend them and put my high AC score down to those books. They literally tell you what key sentences to say in the AC like "I will take full responsibility in seeing any action through and keep you updated throughout the investigation process"

Gets you thinking in a way that turns the key competencies into sentences to be said during the role plays, also explains what way the report should be wrote.

D4z wrote: »
    Personally I read a lot of books wrote by Richard munn on policing and they had it spot on. I just noticed he has recently released a specific PSNI recruitment book (check ebay).

I would highly recommend them and put my high AC score down to those books. They literally tell you what key sentences to say in the AC like "I will take full responsibility in seeing any action through and keep you updated throughout the investigation process"

Gets you thinking in a way that turns the key competencies into sentences to be said during the role plays, also explains what way the report should be wrote.

If you mean the one below then it's a load of *expletive*. I actually got to flip through it as friend got it last year. It's the same book he does for mainland police with a few PSNI references chucked in. For example there is no interview in our assessment. Plus in our role plays you are a PC not a Centre Manager.

Granted there might be some good generic tips but be aware it is not specific to the PSNI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Yeah, that's the one I recently seen. I didn't get that specific one, I bought mainland based books. I still found them helpful, they have the same key competencies so a potato is still a potato. yes, it is different role plays but using the sentences in our role play will still gain those points as you're meeting the criteria in those key competencies.

I found the report writing exercises really helpful as I alway find it hard to start reports or assignments and they tell your how to get the thought process going, what way to set out your reports with key sentences that should be used to meet the criteria and get their buzz words in.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Become-Police-Officer-2016-Version/dp/1909229784/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473697391&sr=8-1&keywords=richard+mcmunn+police

This is the one I read through prior to assessment centre. Like Homer and D4z have mentioned previously it isn't directly applicable to the PSNI process but has some really strong foundations to build on. Key phrases that can be used in the role plays, how to structure your role plays and plan them out and excellent guidance on report writing. There are various scenarios contained within that give you a feel for different role plays and it gets your mind thinking.

There are some other useful tips within including getting in shape and how important being physically ready is to the role. I found it to be one of the better books out there. And as mentioned before, you've done well to find this site, it is literally worth its weight in gold. Welcome and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭WannabePC123

I've just a wee question and wasn't sure where to post this.. I can't remember if I dreamt it or actually read it but is it true that if you're already in the recruitment process for PSNI you can't apply for any other UK force?

I was withdrawn from going any further in the Scottish police because I had applied for the PSNI less than a year before. This was maybe 2 years ago though so that may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

I was withdrawn from going any further in the Scottish police because I had applied for the PSNI less than a year before. This was maybe 2 years ago though so that may have changed.

I enquired with Police Scotland recently and they told me that you can apply for them whilst also in the process with the PSNI. They must have changed things recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Guys, I just want to clarify something I've heard. I'm not sure weather it is rumour or half truth but if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. At the last hurdle, I failed the PCA, falling from the wall that cost me a few vital seconds! Obviously, I'm keen to reapply come the next intake date. I've heard that unless Deloitte change the recruitment process I won't have to do the IST or the AC? Is there any truth in this? If so it takes a lot of the worry away to make sure my fitness is in the right place for the next time around. Can any confirm or even point me in a direction of who to ask?

• Advertisement

Hey Maxi I'm sorry to hear about your PCA result, that's unfortunate with the wall. I'm sure you will hit the ground running next time you attempt it. My understanding, I'm afraid, is that you would need to re attempt all elements of the recruitment process if you are staring over again. I could be wrong, if so someone please correct me. Where did ou hear this rumour maxi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sydnor87

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Guys, I just want to clarify something I've heard. I'm not sure weather it is rumour or half truth but if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. At the last hurdle, I failed the PCA, falling from the wall that cost me a few vital seconds! Obviously, I'm keen to reapply come the next intake date. I've heard that unless Deloitte change the recruitment process I won't have to do the IST or the AC? Is there any truth in this? If so it takes a lot of the worry away to make sure my fitness is in the right place for the next time around. Can any confirm or even point me in a direction of who to ask?

I doubt that very much. It'll be a new campaign so they'll want everyone on a level playing field, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

I thought as much. I was just looking confirmation. I was lead to believe that when I reapply, they will ask what my UID number was on a previous application. My source said when his aunt applied for a second time, quoting a previously successful UID they didn't reassess at the IST or the AC. However, if I have to do those things I feel like I'm in a better position to attempt those elements again! Good luck to the rest of you.

Thanks Maxi, best of luck in the next campaign to you as well, as you said your in a great position to re-attempt the IST and AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

Maxi515 wrote: »
    I thought as much. I was just looking confirmation. I was lead to believe that when I reapply, they will ask what my UID number was on a previous application. My source said when his aunt applied for a second time, quoting a previously successful UID they didn't reassess at the IST or the AC. However, if I have to do those things I feel like I'm in a better position to attempt those elements again! Good luck to the rest of you.
    Each campaign is treated separately and you have to go through all stages every time, there are no exceptions.

You do have to provide previous UIDs when completing the vetting forms, I don't know why this is, but I assume it is just to confirm if you have been vetted previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Hey all long time lurker, first time poster here! Applied first time in 1405 however was unfortunately knocked out at ist. I thereafter applied to Police Scotland and managed to pass all the stages in their recruitment process quite quickly.

I am now approaching the end of my 2 year probation with Police Scotland in early 2017. As stubborn as I am, I wish to re-apply to PSNI and given there is no direct transfer mechanism (or at least it does not come around that often) it seems the civi recruitment process is the only way to go about it :)

Realistically, if a campaign is launched in Jan 2017, are we talking an early to mid 2018 start?

That would probably be accurate assuming everything runs smoothly. The last campaign started in September 2015 with intakes hopefully starting soon in December/January. So anything between 12-18 months depending on your AC score and of course everything else going well (budget, scandals, etc.)

Crazy that you're almost two years in with PS and there are people here that also applied in 1405 still waiting for a call. I can never understand why that it is; yet we still line up in our thousands to apply.

What are PS like to work for? I may consider it as an option if this doesn't work out.

Thought so, just trying to work out the timings as best i can :)

I have absolutely no idea why the process at home takes so long. I completed all stages with PS within 3 months and started 4 weeks later. After my 1405 knock back and the whole mini freeze/stall i decided to apply to PS.

Honestly is a great force to work for. Training is high quality, pay is good for probationers and colleagues as you'd expect are great. You are doing the same job (all be it without the same security threat). If you are keen to start a career in policing you could start very quickly with PS.

My advice is ask yourself if you could see yourself living in the mainland long term. I moved over always with the intention of returning some day. It seems that even as a substantive cop, options are kind of limited to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

Hey all long time lurker, first time poster here! Applied first time in 1405 however was unfortunately knocked out at ist. I thereafter applied to Police Scotland and managed to pass all the stages in their recruitment process quite quickly.

I am now approaching the end of my 2 year probation with Police Scotland in early 2017. As stubborn as I am, I wish to re-apply to PSNI and given there is no direct transfer mechanism (or at least it does not come around that often) it seems the civi recruitment process is the only way to go about it :)

Realistically, if a campaign is launched in Jan 2017, are we talking an early to mid 2018 start?

Yes, Granted no one "cheats" again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

Anyone thinking of applying for a mainland home office force if they are unsuccessful with PSNI should definitely consider it. I'm almost 2 years in with the Met and have completed all stages of 1509. Although it is not a proper transfer, you will remain on the nearest pay scale. For me that should mean starting PSNI training on about 4/5k more than usual.

You'll also get a head start with developing communication skills and knowledge as a lot of legislation in England and Wales is very similar or the same to NI.

It is a different style of Policing but it's invaluable experience which can be transferred or adapted to suit NI.

• Advertisement

Anyone thinking of applying for a mainland home office force if they are unsuccessful with PSNI should definitely consider it. I'm almost 2 years in with the Met and have completed all stages of 1509. Although it is not a proper transfer, you will remain on the nearest pay scale. For me that should mean starting PSNI training on about 4/5k more than usual.

You'll also get a head start with developing communication skills and knowledge as a lot of legislation in England and Wales is very similar or the same to NI.

It is a different style of Policing but it's invaluable experience which can be transferred or adapted to suit NI.

Will we have to complete the full 22 week training course? Seeing as Scottish legislation differs in parts, I expect I would need to at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

Will we have to complete the full 22 week training course? Seeing as Scottish legislation differs in parts, I expect I would need to at least.

Yes unless you are actually a transferee anyone that goes through needs to do the 22 weeks although as above you do get kept on nearest payscale.

dollasign wrote: »

Yes unless you are actually a transferee anyone that goes through needs to do the 22 weeks although as above you do get kept on nearest payscale.

Ideal, thank you. Just when I thought I was done with the "Yes sir" "No sir" game ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Bit disappointed to hear that it's been pushed back, although it does offer more hope to them reaching my barely scraped past AC score from this campaign. Determined to score higher in the next campaign

From what I hear the reason it has been pushed back is so they can can justify recruiting more officers by overlapping the recruitment budgets for 2017 and 2018

D4z wrote: »

I wouldn't touch Richard McMunn with a barge pole, he just regurgitates information that is freely available elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

I wouldn't touch Richard McMunn with a barge pole, he just regurgitates information that is freely available elsewhere.

Hit the nail on the head. Had a few of his books. 2 of them went in the bin and if I ever see the other one I wasted my money on it will be going in the bin too.

My mate swore by it for AOSB Main board and failed both times as well as relying on them for the AC which he again failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

This is 100% bang on as im in the same sitiatuon as you and the knowledge you learn is second to none in my opinion. I would def say 90% of the skills you learn are transferable to PSNI.

Interesting FOI just answered might help you guys :)

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/policy_for_currently_serving_uk

• Advertisement

Great stuff, Homer thank you.

Advertisement