Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crew available / crew wanted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Higgy12

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    A friend of mine would be interested. (I would be too, if I still lived in the area!)

Can you send me your number and I can pass it on?

Thanks!

I sent a private message.

Hi guys,

After dreaming of sailing for years, we managed to buy our own little boat last week. however, we will not be putting it on the water until we have restored it a bit,

in the meantime, the wife and I are looking for anybody in the Dublin to Carlingford area who would be willing to take us out on the water for our first experience. ?

We are living in Co. Meath, both in our early 30s and while not the fittest couple in the world, we are really keen to learn, we work erratic hours so the try sail days that we have found are always on when we seem to be working.

We are willing to contribute to costs if need be, I know this is a probably a long shot but... If you don't ask you'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We are looking for 2 additional bodies to crew with us on Saturday and 1 on Sunday (If we get two for Sat who also want to crew on Sunday, we could probably carry the extra) No experience necessary and great if you do. You dont need any special gear, a rain jacket, maybe rain leggings, maybe a couple of layers if you feel the cold, runners, any kind of cloths that will dry quickly if wet are great but not necessary. We can supply life jackets if you don't have one. Two of our crew have only been with us a couple of months, the rest have varying levels of experience, we work hard as a team and like to win:)

We race a Beneteau 34.7 (34.7 feet a medium/large keel boat) in the White Sails/Cruisers 5/Non Spinnaker fleet in Dun Laoghaire. Racing is around the cans (racing marks) in Dublin Bay, so we are pretty close to land all the time, its not off shore racing. There are 5 races in total, 3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday, you would have to be at the Marina in Dun Laoghaire by 09.30 and we would be back in the marina around 16.30/17.00. Same time start on Sunday but an earlier finish.

If you are interested in doing something hopefully fun and exciting this weekend and want some more info, post here or send me a private message.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you'd asked half a day earlier I'd have been up for it, but got nobbled for the committee boat!

Dammit, you would have been very welcome too, we always pick up something new from experienced crew.

• Advertisement

We just got the sailing instructions today and disappointingly we only have one race each day, most likely coastal races. The time limit for all races according to the SI's is 1.5 hours, so they probably wont give us the long coastal of 12.5 miles. This means that our racing will be finished early and we will be back in between 12.30 and 13.00. If two full days was putting anyone off, its now sadly two short days. :(

We are sorted for Sunday

One place on Saturday left.

We are full

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Y-Knot (modified IC24) in class 3 are looking for 1-2 crew for the Autumn League, PM here for the owners details if interested

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    Y-Knot (modified IC24) in class 3 are looking for 1-2 crew for the Autumn League, PM here for the owners details if interested

Is that a modified J24 owned by a chap with a long history of boat/ship building?

If it is, he's a lovely man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jpqpi

Hi All,

I love sailing and I'm looking to build miles on board yachts to build up experience as I plan to do my day skipper certification by the end of this year. I sail regularly in Dun Laoghaire on smaller keel boats but I could use a bit more experience (on cruisers if possible) to really get comfortable with life on the water, navigation etc. I have sailed dinghies and 1720's and crewed for 2 weeks on a 52 footer island hopping in the med so I know the basics and I'm more than happy to learn more. Happy to take part in full days/weekends of sailing or races, the longer the better :-) ... my work is very flexible and I have a few days holidays left this year so weekdays might also be a possibility. So anyone that's interested in a willing crew member/first mate regardless of duration is welcome to give me a shout for a chat.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shackle

I am available for crewing on cruiser in DL. Last 3 summers crewed cruiser racing out of Dunmore East. Many yrs previous small boat sailing experience. Have own gear. Most Saturdays.

Shackle wrote: »
    I am available for crewing on cruiser in DL. Last 3 summers crewed cruiser racing out of Dunmore East. Many yrs previous small boat sailing experience. Have own gear. Most Saturdays.
    Saturdays are finished as of tomorrow (which looks like it won't happen, due to appalling forecast)

The Turkey Shoot will start up on Sunday mornings in November (6th is the first one I think), there are always boats looking for crew for that so maybe re-post nearer the time and if no joy then tip down to the marina some morning about 9am and put yourself about (starts are from 10am if I recall correctly)

HeidiHeidi
    That really useful info. Didn't know how the season worked. I'd be interested in the Sunday mornings so I will re-post later. Many thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi
    That really useful info. Didn't know how the season worked. I'd be interested in the Sunday mornings so I will re-post later. Many thanks.

The autumn league is on in howth through October and crew are always in demand :)

HeidiHeidi

I think there is also a winter series out of Howth, not sure if that's for dinghies or cruisers or both. Don't know details but www.hyc.ie might have something on it.

The season finishes tomorrow, lift out is mid-October, and then boats that stay in or go to the marina for the winter start all over again!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think there is also a winter series out of Howth, not sure if that's for dinghies or cruisers or both. Don't know details but www.hyc.ie might have something on it.

The season finishes tomorrow, lift out is mid-October, and then boats that stay in or go to the marina for the winter start all over again!

Yeah howth autumn league is to end of October then brass monkeys is Sunday's November to Jan /shiver

Stheno and HeidiHeidi. Thanks for the reply. Is autumn league on a Saturday? I assume I will find times and info on the HYC website ? I'll have to look at the commute, its tempting.

Stheno and HeidiHeidi. Thanks for the reply. Is autumn league on a Saturday? I assume I will find times and info on the HYC website ? I'll have to look at the commute, its tempting.

Yep Saturday, usually wanted to be on boats by 12:45

ALways boats looking for crew

Stheno. On boats by 12.45 ......so if I was at clubhouse around midday this sat? .....or earlier / later ?

• Advertisement

Stheno. On boats by 12.45 ......so if I was at clubhouse around midday this sat? .....or earlier / later ?

Twelve thirty would be fine, if you are available for that time this Saturday let me know and I'll check whorish looking for crew

Stheno. I'll be there 12.30 Saturday.

Stheno. Did not find you but got sorted Pity race was cancelled

Stheno. Did not find you but got sorted Pity race was cancelled

Apologies, I didn't see this, I was sick last week and didn't go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Hi all,
    Just want to give notice of my availability for the Dun Laoghaire Regatta taking place this summer on the 6-9th July.
    I have one experience of racing yachts (doing a isora from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead) but am very much a beginner to the yacht scene.
    However I sail dinghies, and I am a sailing instructor aswell, so know my stuff mostly, & should be quick to learn.
    I'm 18, living in Dublin, so accommodation isn't an issue!
    PM me here if you'd like me to crew. Cheers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi all,
    Just want to give notice of my availability for the Dun Laoghaire Regatta taking place this summer on the 6-9th July.
    I have one experience of racing yachts (doing a isora from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead) but am very much a beginner to the yacht scene.
    However I sail dinghies, and I am a sailing instructor aswell, so know my stuff mostly, & should be quick to learn.
    I'm 18, living in Dublin, so accommodation isn't an issue!
    PM me here if you'd like me to crew. Cheers!

PM sent :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

We are looking for people to join us for the 2017 racing season. We need Drivers, navigators, Marshals and officials!! Come have fun in the exciting world of O.C.R Powerboat racing !!

Contact Alan Power: 0868783735 or Kiearan Whelan 0868362602.

16114964_1233647290022037_3915713156012779542_n.jpg?oh=c08ca496f36c2ee77ad35954588211b1&oe=591BEF22

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

fergal.b wrote: »
    We are looking for people to join us for the 2017 racing season. We need Drivers, navigators, Marshals and officials!! Come have fun in the exciting world of O.C.R Powerboat racing !!

Contact Alan Power: 0868783735 or Kiearan Whelan 0868362602.

16114964_1233647290022037_3915713156012779542_n.jpg?oh=c08ca496f36c2ee77ad35954588211b1&oe=591BEF22

Something I'd love to try sometime, does it cost a lot to get involved Ferg?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Steve wrote: »
    Something I'd love to try sometime, does it cost a lot to get involved Ferg?

Probably the cheapest way to get into power boating a step up from thundercat racing, the engines are the money so if you can work on them yourself or have a mechanic in your pocket all the better :D although I know the guy's all look out for each other. Give one of the lads a call they are sound guy's and I'm sure they will give you a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kbud2005

Hi new to sailing and very eager to learn. I'm looking to come aboard and assist in anyway possible to get some sailing time and knowledge. Based in the Dublin area and available most weekends and with a bit of notification during the week. Complete novice but willing to learn. Please reply if you have something available. Thanks.

Advertisement