Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6.6 kW charging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

BoatMad wrote: »
    I had a thought. Can you change the main speedo to Km. if not the car is not legal on Irish roads. I know you can't change the km leaf to miles ( you can on the sat nav but not the main display )
    Yes, can be changed from KM to miles and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Yes, can be changed from KM to miles and vice versa.

Must be only possible on uk cars.

I'm not an enthusiast of any form of car financing - PCP - or otherwise. However, my understanding is that you have the option of handing the car back without paying the final balloon payment to own the car after an agreed period.

Yes, of course there's a cost of finance involved - but perhaps (and I don't know as I don't believe generally in going the financing route) if there's extreme depreciation happening, then if you're on pcp, you might be able to extract yourself from that scenario without having to deal with it.

I'm not a fan of spending large sums of cash on a car, I pay as I drive even if it's costing me more in Interest to pay for it PM. I paid petrol/diesel per month with 70% tax to the Government.

I pay 458 PM, diesel would cost me about 200 pm, cheap car, no maintenance apart from yearly inspections that you still have to pay for.

I'd probably loose more if I bought the car outright, no way I'm going to spend that much in cash !

I'd rather keep it for emergencies or something to do with the house etc.

I pay as I drive even if it's costing me more in Interest to pay for it PM. I paid petrol/diesel per month with 70% tax to the Government....I'd probably loose more if I bought the car outright, no way I'm going to spend that much in cash !
    I'd rather keep it for emergencies or something to do with the house etc.
    Everybody has their own specific set of circumstances. As a general rule, financing comes with a cost - and if you can get ahead of it, then you save.
    That said, I appreciate that individual circumstances come into play - like the opportunity cost of not being able to make savings on fuel if only PCP enables that for you.
    As regards loosing more if you bought the car outright, are you not saying that you do see greater depreciation in EV's then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 McSmithy

Thanks for all the advice lads, I'm settled on the 6.6kW.

• Advertisement

Everybody has their own specific set of circumstances. As a general rule, financing comes with a cost - and if you can get ahead of it, then you save.
    That said, I appreciate that individual circumstances come into play - like the opportunity cost of not being able to make savings on fuel if only PCP enables that for you.

The point I make is that there are far better things to keep cash for like house repairs, maintenance , rainy day etc.

If someone looses their job for instance then that's a lot of cash spent on a car.

As regards loosing more if you bought the car outright, are you not saying that you do see greater depreciation in EV's then?

No I'm not saying that, I'm saying that I have a guaranteed value in the car at the end, I don't care if car is worthless on PCP or any other car for that matter, It's worth a certain amount, the GFMV. Personally I'd be more worried today about buying diesel, there is a lot of uncertainly at the moment, all it takes is for tax increases to the point it drives people back to petrol then diesel value will plummet. Or car manufacturers to make diesels more expensive which is inevitable.

The point I make is that there are far better things to keep cash for like house repairs, maintenance , rainy day etc. If someone looses their job for instance then that's a lot of cash spent on a car.
    Whatever works for you. In my case, the only financing I've ever availed of is my mortgage - and I wouldn't touch any form of financing otherwise. There's a significant cost element to financing.
    As regards becoming unemployed, my view is that I'd like to have as little financial obligations as possible in that event i.e. no monthly payments, etc.

Whatever works for you. In my case, the only financing I've ever availed of is my mortgage - and I wouldn't touch any form of financing otherwise. There's a significant cost element to financing.
    As regards becoming unemployed, my view is that I'd like to have as little financial obligations as possible in that event i.e. no monthly payments, etc.

You can hand the car back, and pay the balance can't get your cash back , far better than having to pay back full whack. So there'll be a blip on your credit rating for a few years....

Anyway I'm delighted if you can buy a new car for cash....

With the current cost of financing a Leaf for instance at 4.5 % I think I'd take the hit over dumping a lot more cash on a deposit.

If you were to get pcp on a leaf now it would be 4.5% interest.

Anyway I'm delighted if you can buy a new car for cash....
    With the current cost of financing a Leaf for instance at 4.5 % I think I'd take the hit over dumping a lot more cash on a deposit.

If you were to get pcp on a leaf now it would be 4.5% interest.
    I didnt and wouldnt buy a new car - I bought a 2 year old car for a fraction of its original cost.
    Financing costs money - no matter what way the banks or dealerships dress it up. It's not today or yesterday, but a long number of years ago, I sold cars on 100% commission - getting paid more on the finance than for the actual sale of the car.

I didnt and wouldnt buy a new car - I bought a 2 year old car for a fraction of its original cost.
    Financing costs money - no matter what way the banks or dealerships dress it up. It's not today or yesterday, but a long number of years ago, I sold cars on 100% commission - getting paid more on the finance than for the actual sale of the car.

Yeah, buying 2nd hand is always going to save money but if people didn't buy new there'd be no 2nd hand cars.

If I had to pay for petrol or diesel then I'd be paying a lot more PM and on that basis I'd never buy new.

• Advertisement

Look it depends.

Buying a 2nd car when there are good deals on new ones also doesn't make sense either.

Buying a wasting asset for cash is generally a bad idea in general.

Yeah, buying 2nd hand is always going to save money but if people didn't buy new there'd be no 2nd hand cars.
    Agree completely.
    If I had to pay for petrol or diesel then I'd be paying a lot more PM and on that basis I'd never buy new.
    Again, I agree...but...there's no connection between the two points. You've taken the decision to put your fuel savings towards buying a new car instead - nothing wrong with that if that's what suits you best. However, the fuel savings are there whether new or used.
    Buying a 2nd car when there are good deals on new ones also doesn't make sense either. Buying a wasting asset for cash is generally a bad idea in general.
    I think we can agree that regardless of the type of car, they've always been and most likely always will be a wildly depreciating asset.
    Are the rates of depreciation even from year 1 through to year X (X being end of life) - I don't think so...and/or the sums of that annual depreciation may be deemed to be significant or otherwise (entirely subjective as regards the owner and how flush or otherwise they are OR how much value an individual places on a new car as opposed to used. There's no one size fits all - so yes, it does depend).
    As regards buying a 2nd hand as opposed to paying 4-5% interest on it -well if you have the capital sum on deposit (currently at 0%), then that needs to be factored into the decision.

McSmithy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice lads, I'm settled on the 6.6kW.

Excellent, best of luck, you won't regret I assure you !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Today was a fine example of the benefits of 6.6kW charger. I was in Enniskillen today, the only Rapid Charger was down. Thank you 6.6 ❤️❤️❤️

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Today was a fine example of the benefits of 6.6kW charger. I was in Enniskillen today, the only Rapid Charger was down. Thank you 6.6 ❤️❤️❤️

Now just imagine Zoe owners with 22/44 Kw AC charging !

Shame the Zoe is for me, too small and slow. Not a bad car at all though and much better inside since they changed that dreadful white shiny dash to a much darker grey.

It's a shame zoe doesn't sell better in Ireland. It can even use a lot of the fast chargers at the same time as someone is using the DC side. Brilliant.

We need more powerful AC chargers, we have a fantastic AC network but is sadly getting more and more neglected as the ESB use the pitiful funds available to keep the DC network ticking over. I just hope they don't abandon it altogether if they ever do get more funding and I hope Leaf II and future electrics has more powerful AC charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's a shame zoe doesn't sell better in Ireland. It can even use a lot of the fast chargers at the same time as someone is using the DC side. Brilliant.

It doesn't sell because of the stupid not always relevant battery rental scheme...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Now just imagine Zoe owners with 22/44 Kw AC charging !

Shame the Zoe is for me, too small and slow. Not a bad car at all though and much better inside since they changed that dreadful white shiny dash to a much darker grey.

We need more powerful AC chargers, we have a fantastic AC network but is sadly getting more and more neglected as the ESB use the pitiful funds available to keep the DC network ticking over. I just hope they don't abandon it altogether if they ever do get more funding and I hope Leaf II and future electrics has more powerful AC charging.

Yea I was discussing it with my passenger regarding the Zoe. It would make sense if more cars adopted a more powerful AC on top of the Rapid.
    I heard to stories of the Zoe tripping these AC posts. Is it still the case?

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Yea I was discussing it with my passenger regarding the Zoe. It would make sense if more cars adopted a more powerful AC on top of the Rapid.
    I heard to stories of the Zoe tripping these AC posts. Is it still the case?

With increasing range DC is the most way forward for public charging. Slow charging becomes irrelevant with high range.

Large AC chargers in the car are expensive heavy devices that are no use when the car is being used. It really makes no sense to carry charging equipment around with you and even less sense as we head towards the 100 kWh battery

grogi wrote: »
    It doesn't sell because of the stupid not always relevant battery rental scheme...

To be honest if your leasing the whole car I don't see the issue with the battery lease, but it should be optional.

It's actually not a bad deal for people doing little mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

With increasing range DC is the most way forward for public charging. Slow charging becomes irrelevant with high range.

Large AC chargers in the car are expensive heavy devices that are no use when the car is being used. It really makes no sense to carry charging equipment around with you and even less sense as we head towards the 100 kWh battery

I agree. It makes much more sense to have the lighter weight DC charger in the car and keep the AC-DC conversion in the wall box/street charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

To be honest if your leasing the whole car I don't see the issue with the battery lease, but it should be optional.

It's actually not a bad deal for people doing little mileage.

It may not be a bad deal from new.... but it makes the car very difficult to sell later on...

Just ask the Twizy/Fluence customers how happy they are with a battery lease five years on. Where there have been issues with the batteries Renault has generally failed to resolve them. Many people are unhappy having paid for the car, they are now paying Renault more every year than the value of the battery listed on the lease/insurance and have no option to buy the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They recently removed a working AC charger in Cork! Admittedly there is another one relatively close by, but still!.... why remove a working one!?

KCross wrote: »
    They recently removed a working AC charger in Cork! Admittedly there is another one relatively close by, but still!.... why remove a working one!?

were there was a Chademo only that was replaced by a triple head ( which has AC) , then the esb removed the corresponding SCP , siting insufficient power to the site.

in other cases SCPs have been removed at the request of residents, CoCos or because they were repeatedly vandalised , in on for two cases there were legal issues or power issues as well.

were there was a Chademo only that was replaced by a triple head ( which has AC) , then the esb removed the corresponding SCP , siting insufficient power to the site.

in other cases SCPs have been removed at the request of residents, CoCos or because they were repeatedly vandalised , in on for two cases there were legal issues or power issues as well.

There is no Chademo nearby... the nearest is 15miles away.
    It didnt appear to be vandalised and it worked whenever I tried it. It was ICE'd alot.

Maybe legal issues. It was in a supermarket car park. Who knows. Its gone anyway!

Your comment on the triple head having AC.... thats not the same thing though.... is it? You cant, for instance, connect a Leaf to the AC on a rapid? Can you?

There is no Chademo nearby... the nearest is 15miles away.
    It didnt appear to be vandalised and it worked whenever I tried it. It was ICE'd alot.

Maybe legal issues. It was in a supermarket car park. Who knows. Its gone anyway!

Your comment on the triple head having AC.... thats not the same thing though.... is it? You cant, for instance, connect a Leaf to the AC on a rapid? Can you?

you could with an adaptor cable, the question being why would you bother ( note that I agree with you that SCP should not have been removed where triple heads were installed, but the reason I was given was the existing power supply couldnt handle three sessions

you could with an adaptor cable, the question being why would you bother ( note that I agree with you that SCP should not have been removed where triple heads were installed, but the reason I was given was the existing power supply couldnt handle three sessions

I suppose for a long term strategy it would be bad to allow 7kw charging on a rapid. It would just block up the rapid.

I guess what I was thinking was that if you came to a rapid that was out of order on the DC side and you were stuck for a charge it would be useful to connect to the AC side to get you enough juice to make it to the next rapid.

Does it happen much that DC is out and AC is working or do these chargers tend to go completely offline when anything is wrong?

Does it happen much that DC is out and AC is working or do these chargers tend to go completely offline when anything is wrong?

they seem to just go offline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I suppose for a long term strategy it would be bad to allow 7kw charging on a rapid. It would just block up the rapid.

I guess what I was thinking was that if you came to a rapid that was out of order on the DC side and you were stuck for a charge it would be useful to connect to the AC side to get you enough juice to make it to the next rapid.

The i3 can do that. If DC is in use then I can use the AC adapter to charge at 7.2kw. Newer models can get 11kw. However it's still not quite a fast charge so I'd personally let a Zoe in if they arrived.
    The BMW and VW phevs can do this also. Even though they are 3.3kw max AC with no DC. It's especially annoying if the triple charger isn't available for dual AC/DC charging. They could in fact be hogging an FCP at trickle rates and are probably oblivious to it. I've seen it already at the Talbot hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

they seem to just go offline

It's rare but has happened that AC was available and both DC options not working. Also weirdly enough Wicklow CCS hasn't been working since Xmas but Chademo & AC was fine. So there are odd kinks to some of the FCPs.

• Advertisement

It's especially annoying if the triple charger isn't available for dual AC/DC charging. They could in fact be hogging an FCP at trickle rates and are probably oblivious to it. I've seen it already at the Talbot hotel.

all the triple heads can do dual AC DCV charging , no ?

Advertisement