Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we allow Irish to die out?

Options
  • 16-09-2016 10:40pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For over 90 years now successive generations of Irish children have been taught Irish in schools and it is considered our national language but despite this only 1% or even less of the population are Gaelgeoirs on a daily basis.

The shrinkage of the Gaeltacht is an area of real concern. In 1926, just after independence, 15 of the 26 counties included a Gaeltacht area, including most of Galway, most of Donegal, half of Kerry and much of Waterford. By 2007, these areas had shrunk to such an extent that only a tiny area at the tip of the Dingle peninsula, part of South Connemara and part of West Donegal were considered monoglot Gaeltacht areas. Indeed, a 2007 study suggested that by the end of the 2020s that Irish will be a minority spoken language in all the current Gaeltacht areas.

What do boardsies think of the situation? Should we just let Irish die out or should we be making every effort to preserve or revive it?

PS: tried to attach some maps but was unable to!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭zSparc

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

zSparc wrote: »
    What?

You mean céard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

JupiterKid wrote: »
    For over 90 years now successive generations of Irish children have been taught Irish in schools and it ios considered our national language but despite this only 1% or even less of the population are Gaelgoirs on a daily basis.

The shrinkage of the Gaeltacht is an area of real concern. Just compare the Gaeltacht in 1926 to that in 2007:

An Gaeltacht 1926
    Attachment not found.

An Gaeltacht 2007
    Attachment not found.

Attachments don't work, you could try to discuss it here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

For over 90 years now successive generations of Irish children have been taught Irish in schools and it ios considered our national language but despite this only 1% or even less of the population are Gaelgoirs on a daily basis.

The shrinkage of the Gaeltacht is an area of real concern. Just compare the Gaeltacht in 1926 to that in 2007:

An Gaeltacht 1926
    Attachment not found.

An Gaeltacht 2007
    Attachment not found.

So is this the 1% that was causing all the hassle during the crash with the protesters and such?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Irish should be banned with severe consequences for anyone caught using it.

The whole country would be fluent in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

An Gaeltacht 1926
    Attachment not found.

An Gaeltacht 2007
    Attachment not found.

I think the language is never going to be used by the greater population. Its a farce as is where we pretend its our first language. I would be happy to see the gaeltacht fade away and the people living there use english.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

No but we should certainly let TG4 die out .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Any chance we could just ban threads about Irish from After Hours? We all know how this is going to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Let it die, Irish people generally seem to have less brain cells than other Western European states. I would have preferred if my time in religion and Irish class was spent on more useful subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭zSparc

You mean céard?

No, I mean whaaat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Irish, as a subject, is completely useless in my experience.

Turn it into a night course for people who want to converse with the locals in remote parts of the country, or for people who dream about having a role on Ros na Run, but for everybody else, like helpless children and teenagers in schools, don't subject them to a subject which they have absolutely no use for going forward in life.

I realise there's a lot of other silly subjects, but I can't think of another which has contributed less to the person I am now as Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

What's the point filling kid's heads with stuff they'll almost certainly never use..?

Sorry, but tradition and heritage is not a big enough reason for me. Every hour school kids in this country spend learning Irish, is time they could be learning something more practical to the world they'll soon be catapulted into...

Meaning we are potentially at a disadvantage up against other nations with smarter education policies!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yes. Practice your antiquated hobby at home, don't enforce it on the future generations unless they choose to try it.

"Oh but it's our heritage". Yes. And we also used to live in caves, wear animal skins and make fire with sticks. Times have changed. Deal with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No not die out,but remove most official support and make it optional in secondary school, and instead put a focus on speaking the language in class and encourage cultural events

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

Ugh ANOTHER thread on this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tá cead agat dul amach go dtí an leithreas.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

kenmc wrote: »
    Yes. Practice your antiquated hobby at home, don't enforce it on the future generations unless they choose to try it.

"Oh but it's our heritage". Yes. And we also used to live in caves, wear animal skins and make fire with sticks. Times have changed. Deal with it.

Tends to be the opinion of those that can't actually speak it, or who are embarrassed by it. The opinion of those who might as well live in ignorance in caves, wear animal skins and make fire with sticks.

Its not only an Irish persons heritage but also part of an Irish persons psyche. Not being able to speak at least a few words, is to be missing out on something uniquely yours.

Sad.

511 wrote: »
    Irish people generally seem to have less brain cells than other Western European states.

Ridiculous, unsubstantiated nonsensical statements like this are what need to die out, not the Irish language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

For over 90 years now successive generations of Irish children have been taught Irish in schools and it is considered our national language but despite this only 1% or even less of the population are Gaelgeoirs on a daily basis.

The shrinkage of the Gaeltacht is an area of real concern. In 1926, just after independence, 15 of the 26 counties included a Gaeltacht area, including most of Galway, most of Donegal, half of Kerry and much of Waterford. By 2007, these areas had shrunk to such an extent that only a tiny area at the tip of the Dingle peninsula, part of South Connemara and part of West Donegal were considered monoglot Gaeltacht areas. Indeed, a 2007 study suggested that by the end of the 2020s that Irish will be a minority spoken language in all the current Gaeltacht areas.

What do boardsies think of the situation? Should we just let Irish die out or should we be making every effort to preserve or revive it?

PS: tried to attach some maps but was unable to!

Could you re-write that in Irish please. It would sound so much more richer and genuine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

No but we should certainly let TG4 die out .

Ah no, TG4 has had some great shows over the years. Granted most of them are from the states....but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I wouldn't get rid of it completely but make it like most languages and that is that if you want to learn it in school you can. It shouldn't be compulsory for 2nd level education anyway. The main language in Ireland is English and most forms have both English or Irish so you don't have to know Irish all that well. Unless you want to be a Gardaí or politician Irish isn't really necessary to know. Maybe if it was there to be learned for fun it might be picked up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Boater123 wrote: »
    Tends to be the opinion of those that can't actually speak it, or who are embarrassed by it. The opinion of those who might as well live in ignorance in caves, wear animal skins and make fire with sticks.

Its not only an Irish persons heritage but also part of an Irish persons psyche. Not being able to speak at least a few words, is to be missing out on something uniquely yours.

Sad.
    Or who can see past the pointlessness of it. 14 years of irish enforcement, 6 Years of voluntary German, 20 weeks of voluntary mandarin, guess which of these I've found least useful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Wow. Just wow, absolutely bizzare that people seem to have this hang up on Irish, the language is not the fault of how it was thought to people, unfortunately like alot of things it is another victim. I have to learn Irish at the moment, yes its hard but it's very interesting and beautiful to speak, I am guessing I will never be fluent or even half know how to speak it, but I tell you something, I will make sure my children are emersed in Irish and as many languages I can try to speak and see if they pick them up. I feel pissed off at myself, not just because I can't speak Irish, but I cannot speak any other language but English, which is fine with me but I would love to speak another one. But never blame Irish itself for why no body uses it, English is more practical, Irish should have been thought the same as English and along side it, not separately. I feel it would have made it practical, Irish that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

511 wrote: »
    Let it die, Irish people generally seem to have less brain cells than other Western European states. I would have preferred if my time in religion and Irish class was spent on more useful subjects.

What do you base that on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

It has already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Every language is a uniquely human achievement, a carrier of culture, learning, humour, song and oral history. Not to mention communication.
    Many languages have never been written down at all...many are only spoken by handfuls of people in remote places.
    But they are all treasures and it is a tragedy for even one to go extinct.
    I'd be appalled if we lost our uniquely beautiful and ancient language, but I doubt it will ever happen: Sure, there are always whingers, but many of us love it too.

I'm more concerned with Elephants and Rhinos becoming extinct , than a language.

Egyptian Hieroglyphs are extinct, but who could care less.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

The world would be better with just one language.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Pugzilla wrote: »

Would it? I like the diversity of languages in the world, its beautiful

• Advertisement

Pugzilla wrote: »

It would still be the same overall.

We would still have sunsets and rainbows.

Advertisement