Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Cruiser restoration and wheelchair adaption

1235715

Comments



  • IF it's meant for you it won't pass you !! Well done mate .




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Whoo Look what I just won and €500 couldn't have come at a better time :D:D:D:D


    14344749_1111730068863802_998517826083530116_n_zpsy7swgnit.jpg
    No more worthy recipient!!!




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Whoo Look what I just won and €500 couldn't have come at a better time :D:D:D:D


    14344749_1111730068863802_998517826083530116_n_zpsy7swgnit.jpg

    Deadly :)




  • Cheers :D It's a battle of the sexes now I'm up against the Queen of DIY next :eek: should be fun but I have no idea what we will be doing.








    .




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Cheers :D It's a battle of the sexes now I'm up against the Queen of DIY next :eek: should be fun but I have no idea what we will be doing.







    .

    Jaysus..... is it a spectator sport? Can we get tickets???


  • Advertisement


  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Cheers :D It's a battle of the sexes now I'm up against the Queen of DIY next :eek: should be fun but I have no idea what we will be doing.








    .
    Did you have to do stuff to win?




  • Stheno wrote: »
    Did you have to do stuff to win?


    You Just had to post in photos of your DIY projects, I think this got it for me :D


    ferg06_zps262bda44.jpg




  • Well done and much deserved. A very worthy winner.




  • Lights fixed :) I also made a new hub out of mahogany for behind the steering wheel, looking a bit better now with a proper captains wheel.

    20160916_095851_zpszsyiqs3z.jpg

    20160914_173024_zpsecmlhgol.jpg

    Simey still scraping and sanding away and doing a fine job, the top coats come off handy enough with the heat gun but the primer is a real pig to get off it's like a latex paint as for the antifoul :( below the waterline was not too bad with only a few coats but above the waterline where someone could reach while she was still in the water it's about 1 cm thick. :eek:

    20160915_142410_zpszsiungx0.jpg


    A bit of work done on the wheelchair lift I will fit it back in the boat now to workout how much room I have for the hydraulic ram and where to place it.


    20160916_170954_zpsrlnf5duv.jpg

    20160916_171011_zpsn10qyd3s.jpg




  • Ok it looks like the final vote is up to you for DIY the person of the year, you can pick between Old's Cool or a very nicely painted shed it's up to you :) Click the link, Cheers

    http://www.arro.ie/The-Ultimate-Battle-Of-The-Sexes






    .


  • Advertisement


  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Ok it looks like the final vote is up to you for DIY the person of the year, you can pick between Old's Cool or a very nicely painted shed it's up to you :) Click the link, Cheers

    http://www.arro.ie/The-Ultimate-Battle-Of-The-Sexes






    .

    Vote gone in. You're a shoo-in so far!

    Can we vote more than once???




  • HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Vote gone in. You're a shoo-in so far!

    Can we vote more than once???

    I have no idea but I'm sure once is enough :cool:

    Thanks for your vote :)




    .




  • Back to business :) Paint stripped off with the heat-gun, now time to get sanding.

    14364877_10205252283184975_7731120056902979447_n.jpg?oh=366adc557f95e9a1ecc28bac39a0f8a3&oe=587A8136


    With the help of Simey and Keith we were able to fly through it even though we ended up looking like Jack frost :)


    14440654_10205252285865042_1084145442208632189_n.jpg?oh=2e1895f422f46f582be42c1112f73421&oe=588502C1

    Just the top left to do now.


    14441109_10205252322825966_2746397576066253964_n.jpg?oh=ddfc9acedef2aaac0d780d0a38843cc2&oe=5877E47D

    All the holes scratches and dings filled and sanded.


    14359179_10205252325746039_8245649431780609361_n.jpg?oh=eae482171f7426839d4a96a7d57ed22f&oe=5863173A



    Boxed in the platform this will all be coated in fiberglass cloth and sealed so that even with the weight of two people and a wheelchair it should stay above water, Hopefully :)


    14391005_10205252368907118_3545103525000324576_n.jpg?oh=5d36eafe28d5b0b0707b7e64574bbdce&oe=587939D1



    No I'm not using it as a rubbish bin :) I'm going to fill the sections with expanding foam and empty bottles with sealed lids this will help cut down the cost of the foam and will help pervent saturation of the platform, the foam will be done in stages with the first one just to hold the bottles in place and stop them floating up the foam will also stiffen up the platform and add strength.



    14457532_10205252433148724_426140425355850800_n.jpg?oh=fdfc9fae348d864b473d90d02c4fcee0&oe=5866469F




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Ok it looks like the final vote is up to you for DIY the person of the year, you can pick between Old's Cool or a very nicely painted shed it's up to you :) Click the link, Cheers

    http://www.arro.ie/The-Ultimate-Battle-Of-The-Sexes






    .
    Also - I'm assuming (maybe unfairly, but maybe not) that she didn't buiild the flipping shed before painting it!

    I think that should be made clear!!!




  • HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Also - I'm assuming (maybe unfairly, but maybe not) that she didn't buiild the flipping shed before painting it!

    I think that should be made clear!!!

    Agreed. If she did not make them (and I mean MAKE, not assemble!) her skills are limited to holding a paintbrush. That is not DIY, it is pandering to the sponsor ( a paint company FFS!)




  • Nothing against her but I did think some of the other girls projects were a lot better, I know one of them that did upscaling of old furniture and they were very good with a lot of work put in to them, if I had to go head to head with her with a project it would be close. Going down to the vote I have an advantage with you guy's /girls but still she is not far behind :eek: maybe I shouldn't have voted for her :)






    .




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Nothing against her but I did think some of the other girls projects were a lot better, I know one of them that did upscaling of old furniture and they were very good with a lot of work put in to them, if I had to go head to head with her with a project it would be close. Going down to the vote I have an advantage with you guy's /girls but still she is not far behind :eek: maybe I shouldn't have voted for her :)






    .

    There should be a bit of a back-story to your projects! Those pictures don't do justice at all - people might be fooled into thinking you just varnished that boat (no mean feat in itself!) or stuck the steering wheel onto it, or something.

    And what's this "I (shouldn't have) voted for her" - are you MAD??? :eek:




  • HeidiHeidi wrote: »

    And what's this "I (shouldn't have) voted for her" - are you MAD??? :eek:

    Sick in th e head I'd say

    Mad as a box of frogs




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    No I'm not using it as a rubbish bin :) I'm going to fill the sections with expanding foam and empty bottles with sealed lids this will help cut down the cost of the foam and will help pervent saturation of the platform, the foam will be done in stages with the first one just to hold the bottles in place and stop them floating up the foam will also stiffen up the platform and add strength.

    What about using 100mm wall insulation with expandable foam around the edge to hold it in place?




  • BowWow wrote: »
    What about using 100mm wall insulation with expandable foam around the edge to hold it in place?

    I did think of doing that with kingspan or the pink or blue insulation boards even swimming pool noodles :) but I just couldn't find any proof that in the long term they would not absorb moisture, even with closed cell foam it's not the cells that take on water but the little spaces in-between the cells, with the sealed bottles they should last a life time and the bigger the air pocket the more buoyancy.




    .


  • Advertisement


  • Stheno wrote: »
    Sick in th e head I'd say

    Mad as a box of frogs


    You could be right she is ahead of me now :eek:




    .




  • Stick the voting link in your sig in big letters in bold and bump a few of your old project threads, they'll have hundreds of subscribers to see it, should scrape a few more votes that way. Painting a shed is a joke next to that boat.




  • Voted there, you're currently looking to have a comfortable lead but everyone reading this should vote anyway!




  • Just voted - best of luck.




  • Voted, good luck. Thanks for all the updates, I know nothing about boats but lurk here regularly as it's a very interesting and impressive project.




  • Back to business, a few repair jobs to the bow as it's a little untidy looking.

    20160908_113532_zps8awja2po.jpg

    20160908_113521_zpszbzwhiso.jpg


    All ground out and filled with fibreglass.

    20160929_115956_zpsztikcdlv.jpg

    The other side was a bit of a mess with the bottom half about 2" out from the top :eek:

    20160930_110708_zpscabry0kg.jpg


    The gap was filled with silicone .

    20160929_120738_zpsi3idpktc.jpg

    And some rough looking fibreglass.


    20160929_121623_zpsulbdkebb.jpg


    To get it back into shape I drilled some holes for coach bolts and then using blocks of wood on the inside I just tightened them up till I got it in position.

    20160930_120541_zpspwgqbztx.jpg


    I filled the outside with fibreglass and used mat on the inside just have to leave it over the weekend before I sand it down.

    20160930_120712_zpsassyjcm0.jpg



    Simey started on top with his little sander collection :)

    20160927_140004_zpsycttha1b.jpg


    I also showed him how to do a bit of welding, for someone that had never seen a welder before he soon got the hang of it.


    20160927_125313_zpsozm8csax.jpg




  • Terrific progress Fergal. You're cleaning up some real ugly bits but I'd be a bit concerned on the overlap. You're obviously not leaving the brace there but you will leave a lot of stress in that repair so I'd suggest layering in a lot of GRP on the inside and maybe at least one layer of woven roving on the outside. I know it'll make more work to get a faired finish to your standard on the outside but it'll reduce the risk of an ugly split line out through your handiwork in a year or sooner when smacking into some steep lake chop.
    Nosing ahead in the DIY vote too!




  • Daibheid wrote: »
    Terrific progress Fergal. You're cleaning up some real ugly bits but I'd be a bit concerned on the overlap. You're obviously not leaving the brace there but you will leave a lot of stress in that repair so I'd suggest layering in a lot of GRP on the inside and maybe at least one layer of woven roving on the outside. I know it'll make more work to get a faired finish to your standard on the outside but it'll reduce the risk of an ugly split line out through your handiwork in a year or sooner when smacking into some steep lake chop.
    Nosing ahead in the DIY vote too!

    There will be a timber running the length of the split on the inside that I will screw into top and bottom from the outside and then fibetglased in place that should hold it in place and keep the clean line on the outside where I might also have a timber rub rail to cover up the join.



    .




  • This week I wired in the shore power.


    14611006_10205332655754239_8281674424171299995_n.jpg?oh=84d0a5412fed392b9b7a327ce0f42759&oe=586A7AF2

    There will be a storage space/seat here for a generator


    14492374_10205332659154324_6675318783704592540_n.jpg?oh=7d8d6886201718cb42868b0b54cd0c13&oe=5870245C

    Used fiberglass cloth to seal the platform.


    14470465_10205332679714838_1785505494415594282_n.jpg?oh=525f0e90e7f2f5dd94f60e047c331962&oe=58A9FE32

    Drilled out for some fancy blue LED lights :) to get a good seal I drill oversized holes and fill them with fiberglass then drill the hole for the lights sealing them in with silicone.


    14567977_10205332683594935_3637053187466988762_n.jpg?oh=af564798ba538b9e2ea4bd386477d0a7&oe=58AB43CD

    I do like blue lights :) Shame they won't be shining on crystal clear water.



    14485134_10205332711515633_6117109881063227294_n.jpg?oh=f7818ed5933346b62502fc0dfb0cd669&oe=58AD4AC8

    With all that done I filled the platform with 2 part expanding foam and some of the canned stuff with one or two bottles, not the prettiest but whatever floats your boat


    14479575_10205332731116123_8171103342527836709_n.jpg?oh=2bdfaee1275576a6c960a1d5791143fa&oe=58666EF9


    Fitted the transducer into the keel and fiberglassed over the cable to protect it.


    14595800_10205332769197075_3762954898371378799_n.jpg?oh=40e6756df52890f40c5a73cd5ee38176&oe=586E1E0B

    A bit more sanding done, starting to get close to the end now.



    14581516_10205332783637436_637584050204039461_n.jpg?oh=8d5fe0a5ac2c2568e6a20f5584357b03&oe=58AD6701


  • Advertisement


  • I'm sure you'll have a reason and I know you have done with it now Ferghal but why didn't you mount the transducer inside the hull for less through holes and ease of fitting?


Advertisement