Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SLAT MATS

• 12-09-2016 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭

Anyone any opinions on these, comfort mat or standard mats

was going to do a couple of bays for the poor dolls with bad feet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

I wouldn't recommend putting them under cows with bad feet. The hoof will grow out of shape as it has nothing to wear against.
    Best to get these dolls' hooves looked at and then footbath them to harden the hoof.
    Mats won't fix bad feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

i aint trying to fix them with mats,
    some cows just cant hack 7 months on concrete, even with hoofs trimmed before they go on slats, and sods law its usually the good ones

i just want an opinion on the different mats not a lesson in hoof care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Going to do a few bays myself this year if funds allow. A lad I buy a few animals off has both comfort mats and easy fix.

From what he says the comfort mat stays cleaner and would be better for finishing stock. The easy fix definitely look better and thicker but are a bit more dirty. I think they are better for cows all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

some cows just cant hack 7 months on concrete, even with hoofs trimmed before they go on slats, and sods law its usually the good ones

I'm going getting the comfort slat mats myself. (When I can afford them). A buddy of mine has a few bays of both and he reckons that the comfort mat is far superior and he's changing to all comfort mats a bay at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Did u not say they have bad feet? Good ones with bad feet? I dunno but maybe the mats will make them good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Give the mayo mat people a call.
    The owner who is a chemist and developed the rubber compound etc himself is as straight as can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

We have the Mayo mats on two pens, the third pen is concrete so we can swap cows in and out.
    The mats are great to add a bit of comfort for the cows, no sore joints and definitely good for cows with sore feet, however it allows their feet to grow with no wearing so you'll be trimming them more often.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't but it is a lot easier on older cows especially.

Did u not say they have bad feet? Good ones with bad feet? I dunno but maybe the mats will make them good!

yep i did, but what i asked was for was an "opinion on mats" for the record by bad feet i mean they suffer after 7 months on slats,

yes good ones they produce good quality calves every ear, in other words they do what a cow is supposed to do, they are like the rest of us not perfect I suppose

i dunno maybe your right, the mats will work wonders on them

called them both, bout 200 euro per bay in difference

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I think the comfort are the only ones to go for. Stay a mile away from the mayo mats, they stretch after a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

Anyone have a rough estimate on cost of comfort mats for three bay single slatted shed?

Salrub wrote: »
    Anyone have a rough estimate on cost of comfort mats for three bay single slatted shed?

65 + vat per metre squared.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We have the Easyfix mats. We stuck them in ourselves. Handy fitted.
    I can't compare them with any of the others cos we only have Easyfix. But we're very happy with them.
    The ploughing might be a good place to go and take a look, you might get a good price on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think the comfort are the only ones to go for. Stay a mile away from the mayo mats, they stretch after a few years.

Are you sure the mayo mats you refer to are genuine. Lots of people claiming to be selling the original mayo mats.
    I believe there is a 10 year warranty with the mayo mats.

Got quoted 1100 per bay plus 23% vat , fitted for comfort mats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Isn't there some talk that slat mats might be grant aided under TAMS in the near future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

We have the Easyfix mats. We stuck them in ourselves. Handy fitted.
    I can't compare them with any of the others cos we only have Easyfix. But we're very happy with them.
    The ploughing might be a good place to go and take a look, you might get a good price on the day.
    Mind me asking how much a square meter you were charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

tanko wrote: »
    Isn't there some talk that slat mats might be grant aided under TAMS in the near future?

Yeah it will be next year as far as I know. I wouldn't be be rushing to put them in for the sake of 6 months.
    Have one shed done here with easifix. Super job for finishing heavy cattle. If it pays to put them in I don't know but we'll do another few sheds if that grant does come.

It's between ten and fifteen years ago since we got them, I've no idea how much. But I seem to remember they were very close to the same price as the slats per bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Sami23

What's the difference between the 2 mats as hope to get a few bays done in next few years ?
    Is it thickness or type of rubber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Comfort mats here too. Think they are a great job. They have a rounded shape to them as opposed to Easyfix which are flat. More of a 'cushioned' feel to them also. From what I can see they tend to stay cleaner than Easyfix, but then I'm sure that there are plenty of lads that will swear by Easyfix also.
    I couldn't imagine having the cows laying straight on top of the bare slat now.

Has anyone heard when the mats will be included in TAMS as it was announced the same time as the sheep fencing but only the fencing is included so far ?

960 per bay plus VAT, FIT YOURSELF

Parishlad wrote: »
    Comfort mats here too. Think they are a great job. They have a rounded shape to them as opposed to Easyfix which are flat.

The Easyfix look flat but if you cut them or look 'end on' they have a convex shape ie higher in the middle!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I got mats fitted about 5-6 years ago. There was a grant at the time. After VAT and grant it cost about 500/pen for 16' slats. There was 5 providers, Easyfx Mayo comfort, Durapac, another comfort mat made in Germany and another mat made from a grerman rubber provider taht was being laser cut.

I went with the Easyfix. I considered that there fixing method was the best and that there was thicker rubber which would wear better under heavy cattle. After grant differen in quoted price between different makes was immaterial( about 50-80/bay. Easyfix was mid range at the time, Durapac was the cheapest with Mayo comfort around the same cost as Easyfix. The laser cut mat looked good but there pegging system could be an issue longterm. The German comfort mat looked flimey, it was also a fixed width and he wanted to trim the slats to make it fit right. Not something I was in favour of.

While Durapac was chearper it mat was harder and thinner than either Mayo or Easyfix. It came down to these two but friend had the Mayo mats and he found he was trimming them as they streched over the slat gaps over time.

Slava Ukrainii

Sami23 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard when the mats will be included in TAMS as it was announced the same time as the sheep fencing but only the fencing is included so far ?

bump

I got mats fitted about 5-6 years ago. There was a grant at the time. After VAT and grant it cost about 500/pen for 16' slats. There was 5 providers, Easyfx Mayo comfort, Durapac, another comfort mat made in Germany and another mat made from a grerman rubber provider taht was being laser cut.

I went with the Easyfix. I considered that there fixing method was the best and that there was thicker rubber which would wear better under heavy cattle. After grant differen in quoted price between different makes was immaterial( about 50-80/bay.

A 16' slat bay with comfort mats costs nearly 1800 now. Some robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Got easyfix mats fitted and after seeing them in a place before hand I said they would be fine if the got a few screws in corners to stop them lifting. I'm just thinking now did i do more harm than good by putting in stainless steel screws(inch) and washers into mats and into concrete slats. would the hole made where plug and screws are start to corrode and affect the steel in slats and concrete. It's looks a tidy job. But just thinking now should ive left it alone. Pic attached below

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

degetme wrote: »
    Got easyfix mats fitted and after seeing them in a place before hand I said they would be fine if the got a few screws in corners to stop them lifting. I'm just thinking now did i do more harm than good by putting in stainless steel screws(inch) and washers into mats and into concrete slats. would the hole made where plug and screws are start to corrode and affect the steel in slats and concrete. It's looks a tidy job. But just thinking now should ive left it alone. Pic attached below

I'd say they'd have been grand without the screws, we have easy fix mats in a pen and there's no sign of them lifting.
    Would the bolts cause problems with cattle's hooves when they stand down on them when they are used to the softness of the mats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

rushvalley wrote: »
    I'd say they'd have been grand without the screws, we have easy fix mats in a pen and there's no sign of them lifting.
    Would the bolts cause problems with cattle's hooves when they stand down on them when they are used to the softness of the mats?

There not bolts. No I'm not worried about the Screwhead and washer.they are below the level of slat mat and they will be covered in **** in after a few days of use

Advertisement