Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLAT MATS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

degetme wrote: »
    Got easyfix mats fitted and after seeing them in a place before hand I said they would be fine if the got a few screws in corners to stop them lifting. I'm just thinking now did i do more harm than good by putting in stainless steel screws(inch) and washers into mats and into concrete slats. would the hole made where plug and screws are start to corrode and affect the steel in slats and concrete. It's looks a tidy job. But just thinking now should ive left it alone. Pic attached below

Have easifix here as well didn't bother with screws in the corners no bother with them lifting at all yet 3 yrs in now

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

Fitted both Easyfix and Durapak mats last year, Easy for the Autumn calvers and Dura for the 1 1/2 year olds.

Cost much the same as I fitted them myself, Dura comes in rows of three and Easy in two.

Both a breeze to put down with a decent heavy lump hammer, and no need for fixings.

Which would I prefer to kneel/walk/work on all day?.....Durapack hands down.

The Easy are just too hard IMO, not that much different to concrete, Durapack on the other hand are much softer and the cattle were happy out on them.

I do have a straw bed lie back for both bunches of cattle, tended to lock the 1 1/2 year olds onto the slats when I was feeling lazy (without feeling cruel!) but never would for the cows and calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Got quoted 1100 per bay plus 23% vat , fitted for comfort mats

1100 per bay plus 23% vat!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

what size are you slats?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

MikeSoys wrote: »
    1100 per bay plus 23% vat!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

what size are you slats?
    Got mayo Mats in yesterday. Nothing on them yet. Was at a mans shed a few weeks ago and there was mats in looked like the easy fix but it wasn’t them. They were shredded. He said he had the mayo mats in only job. I spoke to someone who works with plastics and he said mayo mats are made of pva or eva which is more resistant to urine. Other brands are rubber and break down over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

have easifix and durapak and comfort mats all in different sheds, for me the easifix are the best, only have a small area of durapak in a shed for weanlings, some of their mats have broke at the joints which is very poor. the comforts mats are fine but are definitely slippy, I also found that cows with bad feet didnt seem too happy on the comforts mats but worked better in the bays with easifix mats..anyway that just my experience, id say any of them are a big relief to cattle rather than bare slat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

quoted 1150 +VAT per 14' 6 bay there lately for Easyfix flipping heck they are gone dear

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Dozer1 wrote: »
    quoted 1150 +VAT per 14' 6 bay there lately for Easyfix flipping heck they are gone dear

That is dear. I wonder what the Comfort mats are going for these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Joebobs

Parishlad wrote: »
    That is dear. I wonder what the Comfort mats are going for these days?

Sure the comfort mats are the most expensive of the lot...the boom is back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

1340 per span but that's supplied and fitted....and that only covers the mat on the slats, extra to cover the toe spacing....

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

1340 per span but that's supplied and fitted....and that only covers the mat on the slats, extra to cover the toe spacing....

Why would you cover the toe spacing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Parishlad wrote: »
    Why would you cover the toe spacing?

I see in Mountbellew ag College that is the only bit of the pen done. Might as well have them comfortable when they are eating at barrier

Is it really worth it that much though..can u claim vat back on mats?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Joebobs wrote: »
    Is it really worth it that much though..can u claim vat back on mats?
    ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

One bay of an old shed I have is 20 x 20. Bought eight easy fix mats and put them in one corner. A few sit on it and the rest of them stand around waiting for one to get up. These are dry cows. I think they are a good job anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

A friend of mine got a quote posted out from one of the slat mat companies and his wife opened it. There was war. She said " the trouble I had to get you to spend €700 on a bed for us to lie on and your thinking of spending €7000 on mats for cows?".
    Needless to say he didn't get slat mats !!

Cattlepen wrote: »
    A friend of mine got a quote posted out from one of the slat mat companies and his wife opened it. There was war. She said " the trouble I had to get you to spend €700 on a bed for us to lie on and your thinking of spending €7000 on mats for cows?".
    Needless to say he didn't get slat mats !!

Haha ...women they just dont understand!....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I have a shed with about 30 cubicles in it. I'm noticing less cows lieing in them this year. They are the old two legged steel ones. My guess is they are to small now that some of the cows are maturing.

I'm thinking of ripping them out, step and all and putting in a full level rubber floor in the whole shed. This will give way more space for cows to lie down and comfortably. If one calves out in it it's not the end of the world. Much less labour and cost in the long term than bedding.

I would scrap it into a tank in front of it like I do now with the cubicles.

Question is anyone here with something similar? Is it slippery without the usual spaces on the slat mats? Could a bull work away on one with a bulling cow without turning upside down?

The space is about 30ft by 35ft. Sorry for the long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

We dust cubicle peat on the mats and no hoof problems now

With easyfix mats at the front feed barrier how many screws per mat is recommended 4,6,8,...? for beef cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

I have a shed with about 30 cubicles in it. I'm noticing less cows lieing in them this year. They are the old two legged steel ones. My guess is they are to small now that some of the cows are maturing.

I'm thinking of ripping them out, step and all and putting in a full level rubber floor in the whole shed. This will give way more space for cows to lie down and comfortably. If one calves out in it it's not the end of the world. Much less labour and cost in the long term than bedding.

I would scrap it into a tank in front of it like I do now with the cubicles.

Question is anyone here with something similar? Is it slippery without the usual spaces on the slat mats? Could a bull work away on one with a bulling cow without turning upside down?

The space is about 30ft by 35ft. Sorry for the long post.

ive one similar and i try to avoid putting cattle in it. pure torture scraping them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

Joebobs wrote: »
    With easyfix mats at the front feed barrier how many screws per mat is recommended 4,6,8,...? for beef cattle?

Slat mats?

visatorro wrote: »
    Slat mats?

Not the mats on the slats the mats on the walkways ie
    https://easyfix.com/solutions/walkways/
    Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

Wonder is there any hope of Slat Mats ever being included in a TAMS type scheme 🤔

We have the Mayo matts in 10 years plus and they are still perfect. No trimming yet. Done two more pens this year. They are the cheapest the thickest and the most durable compound of all the Matt suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The owner, tom duffy seems to have really good formula as they seem too be everlasting, he has done very well with them, has bought land too since he started so doing well.

His cubicle mats wont be beaten

yea Tom is a gent he has a fantastic product that lasts. Some other products are bit of good marketing. His is real deal I could not speak high enough of him or Mayo cow comfort matts. I think he may have come up with the concept. I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea he has a chemistry degree,I think the formula is his own invention too.

it's very interesting to hear him explain animal behaviour, he's very clever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is there a concensus yet on what brand is the best yet? Putting up a tank at the minute and considering mats at some stage. There doesn't seem to be any clear winner in terms of performance or longivity. All seem to get common complaints whether it be from, cleanliness, degredation over time or expanding and lifting.

Price is a real killer though. If we can't get it through a grant then I doubt we'll bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

No grant yet or for the foreseeable afaik. Have easy fix on a few pens here. Find them grand but have nothing to compare them against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thinking of doing 2 pens at the moment. Mayo Mats seem to be the best value of what we priced. 2 x 10'6'' pens, €1450 + Vat fitted.

Advertisement