Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasgow v Leinster Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Luke Fitz very articulate - hope we here more of him as the season goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Very happy with that. Five very unfortunate minutes scuppered us but a very good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Seymour definitely one that got away regards Ireland :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

vienne86 wrote: »

He'll probably injure his mouth before the next match and be out for 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

wp_rathead wrote: »

Yeah, cheers awec

Scotland's starting wingers in a few years could be better than ours and both produced by the Ulster academy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I expected a bit of a kicking, so quite happy with the performance, especially in the first half. Second half not so much, but given the team composition that may be to be expected - very disappointing to not come away with any match points, two points even in a loss was very much on the cards. Carbery was a great positive, intercept aside and that can happen.

Glasgow looking very sharp, taking nearly all their opportunities on offer. Going to be hard to look past this season (ok, it's only two games in but still).

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IRFU need to catch a grip really when it comes to the internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »

Exactly. Leinster needed a full team today. Some cop on is needed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah, cheers awec

Scotland's starting wingers in a few years could be better than ours and both produced by the Ulster academy!

Well if Ireland were more willing to cap young players...

awec has been calling for this for ages, but was always met with excuses as to why Ireland absolutely need to play DK or AT or whoever.

Scholes needs to be capped and the IRFU should take a redner that he's playing in Scotland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

awec wrote: »

Absolutely. This is the toughest league match of the season.

Rest them for Treviso, Zebre and Dragons at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Those 5 minutes! Had Rob run a straight line rather than away from the ball. Had Maccer made a better fist of that tackle. Those 2 moments in that 5 minute spell cost us the game. Such a disappointing result.

But on the flip side some of those performances were great. Molony is sheer class. Leavy was excellent. VDF and Jordi were both really good too. Thought McGrath played well and Carbery has backed up last weeks performance almost perfectly. Ringrose must stay in the centre. Dave was really sharp too. Even Reid played well both going forward and defensively. I was wrong there anyway.

Really mixed emotions after it but looking ahead there's a lot of positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

It was a promising game, definitely. Still, very frustrating that we didn't get at least a point from it. Losing by 8 is always ****ty, never mid with three tries in the first half, and none in the second.

Ugh. That last maul. Use it....USE IT.........USE IT.

Or don't, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

vienne86 wrote: »

Luke is set to miss the next 6 weeks of Sky coverage with torn vocal chords.

EDIT: Whatever, TME. Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Glasgow, Leicester, Munster, Racing. What a pool, i feel dread on behalf of our southern province.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I expected a bit of a kicking, so quite happy with the performance, especially in the first half. Second half not so much, but given the team composition that may be to be expected - very disappointing to not come away with any match points, two points even in a loss was very much on the cards. Carbery was a great positive, intercept aside and that can happen.

Glasgow looking very sharp, taking nearly all their opportunities on offer. Going to be hard to look past this season (ok, it's only two games in but still).

Couldn't come to that conclusion at all based on today. They had a full strength side, Leinster were severely depleted and yet Leinster put it right up to them, and perhaps should have won. If Leinster can maintain this form I'd be very confident we can beat them in the Aviva at the end of the year with a full strength side.

Extremely disappointing to come away with nothing there, but if the team plays like that all year they'll be guaranteed a top 2 finish.

wp_rathead wrote: »

Meh, I don't know. I don't remember any tears being shed for him when he left. He was joining a Glasgow team that had just finished 11th in the league. No one really saw it as a huge coup.

If he'd stayed here, he wouldn't have got the same game time and might not have turned out so well.

Just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The tries we conseeded were so soft. Going forward Leinster looked decent but we can't keep leaking tries like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

really dislike these all-weather pitches. Watched a couple of scrums and you can clearly see players with big boot studs not being able to get a grip on the surface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Glasgow seem to have the measure of the Irish teams, racking up big wins in the process.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Glasgow seem to have the measure of the Irish teams, racking up big wins in the process.

Take it you didn't see the game?

• Advertisement

Take it you didn't see the game?

Correct.

I'd be a bit worried for Munster in Europe though on the basis of the massive points they are running up against the Irish sides.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Correct.

Leinster were ahead for most of it, Glasgow got two tries in the space of five minutes from an intercept and a knock-on. They are not unbeatable.

Leinster were ahead for most of it, Glasgow got two tries in the space of five minutes from an intercept and a knock-on. They are not unbeatable.

Wouldn't doubt you there, but they are a team very capable of capitalising on mistakes. Still, an entertaining start to the league it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭redmca2

I missed the game completely and went to the official Pro 12 website.
    It's revamped since last year and not for the better.
    The results of the 2 matches played so far today are not there yet (it's now 7.18 pm).
    In a word, the new layout is sh1te.

Do Glasgow have a full strength team at the moment?

They look good but as someone pointed out before Leinster are without a fair few players and if they'd been a bit more clinical today probably could have won.

Not sure that explains the Connacht result though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

redmca2 wrote: »
    I missed the game completely and went to the official Pro 12 website.
    It's revamped since last year and not for the better.
    The results of the 2 matches played so far today are not there yet (it's now 7.18 pm).
    In a word, the new layout is sh1te.

And I couldn't find anything when I clicked on 'Live' during the match.

Like a lot of revamped websites, it looks pretty, but that's about it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Do Glasgow have a full strength team at the moment?

They look good but as someone pointed out before Leinster are without a fair few players and if they'd been a bit more clinical today probably could have won.

Not sure that explains the Connacht result though.

Pretty much full strength for glasgow yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I thought this and the Munster game were both very entertaining overall, good advert for the league.

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Pretty much full strength for glasgow yeah

I forgot they're without Finn Russell but they seem to be managing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

matthew8 wrote: »
    Couldn't come to that conclusion at all based on today. They had a full strength side, Leinster were severely depleted and yet Leinster put it right up to them, and perhaps should have won. If Leinster can maintain this form I'd be very confident we can beat them in the Aviva at the end of the year with a full strength side.

Aye, that's true. They've been very strong though, and are appearing very clinical when it comes to scoring opportunities vs actually scoring. Just taking today, their scores didn't take masses of effort, whereas we had to work for them. Mid way through the first half for example, we laboured to a try and then they went back up the field and scored seemingly at will. To our credit we denied them any opportunity to do that again for the rest of the half (more or less) by keeping the ball.

They just strike me as a team only going to get better. We shall see though.

Advertisement