Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasgow v Leinster Match Thread

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

There a big issue in soccer/football as the ball moves a lot faster, in rugby there not ideal but aren't a factor in the loss yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I actually find the biggest difference is with running, I haven't really heard a great way to describe it but it's like they're "bouncier"

First time I was on one I thought it felt like running on a mattress almost. It's bizarre and also comfortable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    First time I was on one I thought it felt like running on a mattress almost. It's bizarre and also comfortable.....

First time I was on one we were in a semi-final and we lost quite badly, so I will always hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The UCD one is far more bouncy than the Donnybrook one they seem to be improving with the years.

Having just watched the game back it was one between 2 fairly evenly matched sides in many ways. We had a 5 minute spell where we took advantage of a Glasgow yellow to get 2 tries. They had a 5 minute spell where they took advantage of a couple of Leinster errors. We got bundled into touch on one opportunity, so did they. On 70 minutes it was a 1 point game so there was nothing in it at all. Two evenly matched teams.

That one moment of class for their last score showed the difference. They were well drilled and we got caught due to a bit of inexperience. And with a little less impact off the bench we couldn't get our way back into it. Lacey didn't help with some really frustrating calls in the last 10, but ultimately we all but measured up to a near full strength Glasgow side in Glasgow while missing around 10 players. I think we were a bit unlucky really not to get the LBP and even had a few opportunities in the second have to get the TBP but small things let us down. A pop from Leavy to Furlong was just a little too low to allow Furlong to move it on to an incoming runner (can't remember who it was now). Not getting another pass away to Rob in midfield and instead taking contact could well have been another missed opportunity. These are small things than can be fixed with a bit more game time playing this way. We've got direction though, which is something we seemed to be missing the last few years.

Also worth noting that McGrath was noticeably better than JGP, who I thought showed a fairly weak passing game in his 20 odd minutes out there. Hopefully he'll settle into it over the next few weeks, but as of right now McGrath is definitely our first choice 9.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Also worth noting that McGrath was noticeably better than JGP, who I thought showed a fairly weak passing game in his 20 odd minutes out there. Hopefully he'll settle into it over the next few weeks, but as of right now McGrath is definitely our first choice 9.

With Reddan and Boss both gone McGrath could well be involved with the Ireland squad this year. I would imagine Leinster knew this when signing JGP. He'll step in during those windows but McGrath will hopefully be the main man.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Having just watched the game back it was one between 2 fairly evenly matched sides in many ways. We had a 5 minute spell where we took advantage of a Glasgow yellow to get 2 tries. They had a 5 minute spell where they took advantage of a couple of Leinster errors. We got bundled into touch on one opportunity, so did they. On 70 minutes it was a 1 point game so there was nothing in it at all. Two evenly matched teams.

That one moment of class for their last score showed the difference. They were well drilled and we got caught due to a bit of inexperience. And with a little less impact off the bench we couldn't get our way back into it. Lacey didn't help with some really frustrating calls in the last 10, but ultimately we all but measured up to a near full strength Glasgow side in Glasgow while missing around 10 players. I think we were a bit unlucky really not to get the LBP and even had a few opportunities in the second have to get the TBP but small things let us down. A pop from Leavy to Furlong was just a little too low to allow Furlong to move it on to an incoming runner (can't remember who it was now). Not getting another pass away to Rob in midfield and instead taking contact could well have been another missed opportunity. These are small things than can be fixed with a bit more game time playing this way. We've got direction though, which is something we seemed to be missing the last few years.

Shows that just being Kiwi doesn't automatically make you a better player than an Irish player. Its actually good to see, JGP knows now he won't have it his own way and now will have to really be at his best to knock McGrath off top spot (with McGrath being the captain atm, that won't be easy at all) which will bring the best out of JGP and will give McGrath belief that he is seen as a starter rather than a replacement.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

With Reddan and Boss both gone McGrath could well be involved with the Ireland squad this year. I would imagine Leinster knew this when signing JGP. He'll step in during those windows but McGrath will hopefully be the main man.

being named captain a few times shows he is highly thought of

Yeah I can't imagine he was signed to be first choice given his limited game time in SR. He's there to give us a bit of experience at half back when the internationals are away. If McGrath is with Ireland and we didn't get someone in we'd have hugely inexperienced guys at 9 and 10, which is far from ideal.

Advertisement